“Watch your step or you could break your foot!”
Review of Island Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Port Aransas
Island Retreat
San Antonio
“Watch your step or you could break your foot!”
Reviewed July 17, 2009

I checked in with my family only to sprain my ankle and break my foot on some uneven concrete at the base of a staircase ten minutes into our week stay.they wouldn't or couldn't put us into a ground floor room until three days later when I turned in an incident report and asked for risk management phone number which wasn't given to me, nor contacted me a week Later after leaving.my vacation was ruined all because of instead of smoothing out concrete, everything is painted yellow.that way they clear themselves of premises liability.we have stayed here twice till now but will never stay again.I will be sure to notify the port aransas boatmens club to warn anybody looking for a place in next years deep sea roundup fish tournament.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Reviewed July 16, 2009

My family rented and split the cost of a 3 bedroom condo #46. July 10-11. It had a wonderfull view of the large pool and some beach view from the 2nd floor balcony. NOTE: Ground floor units may not have any beach view due to the height of the sand dunes. We were allowed to check-in early since no one had not been rented the night before. We booked directly through Island Retreat and had no problems at all. We mailed our deposit in May and paid the balnce on arrival. Ours was an older, but well kept unit. The thermostat directions were a little hard to follow(programmable) it was way TOO cold when we first arrived but I finally managed to raise the temperature to the 70's. The floors were a little creaky also and no ventilation system in the 2 bathrooms.
The grandkids LOVED the BIG pool! Easy trip on the boardwalk to the beach, great for early morning strolls. The price was very reasonable split 3 ways. The grounds of the complex were very well kept. There are plenty of restaurants and fast food too ( Subway, Quiznos, What-a-Burger) . The local IGA grocery store has very reasonable prices. The complex has bar-b-que grills and picnic tables on site as well as a fish cleaning house for cleaning your cath of the day.
My son-in-laws had a great time on the fishing charter. A word to the wise...book the 8 hour trip, not the 5. You don't go out far enough on the 5 hour trip to catch anything and of course, you find that out on the trip back to port! Only 2 very small sharks were caught when they went, and the charter before them caught nothing. You can also fish from the jettys.
Port A is a great family location. And Island Retreat is a great place to stay! We will definitely be going back! It's a great place to releax and recharge! We're thinking of booking for April for Sandfest. My only disappointment was that I left my favorite down pillow there ! :(

DP

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
tablet1
Reviewed July 2, 2009

When we arrived an hour after check in time room was still not clean. We had to leave for an hour and a half and come back to room. After 5 to 10 minutes of back and forth the employee finally allowed us to stay two hours past the 11 am (which seems early compared to most hotels/condos) check out time. We luckily caught the cleaning crew as they were about to leave for the evening.

Later that evening the TV was stuck on one channel. The second TV in the bedroom didn't work at all. The front desk told us that someone would have to come by in the morning to fix them. The person we traveled with was in the lobby and told a young man who stated he was either the owner or manager's son our TV was out. He basically said he "knew what we meant as his Wi-Fi didn't work either". We waited until 10:30 am the next morning and the maintenance man did fix the first one and the second never did get fixed.

Overall I'm not saying these things ruined our trip. I would hesitate to stay here again as it wasn't the problems themselves but the staff's unconcerned response to them. What if the AC or water heater had gone out? I really don't think they would've fixed them till later.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank tablet1
kansas
Reviewed June 11, 2009

My family and I had our first experience of all vacationing in the same spot at the same time earlier this month. We had the great fortune to stat in rooms at Island Retreat in Port Aransas. The staff there was so helpful and ready and willing to help us with all our needs and went out of their way to make us feel welcome.
Everyone frome Erin in the front office, to all of the maintenance and cleaning staff were friendly and graciously willing to give us tips for highlights in the area that would suit each of our family members' needs and interests. (2 Grandparents 4 adults and two children 8 and 12.) We so much enjoyed the surroundings at Island Retreat, that we have recommended it to all of our Friends, and hope to make this an annual retreat for our family.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Fraddon, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 18, 2009

My wife and I visited our son who is living near Dallas at the start of April. We are from the UK & had never visited Texas before. We found No. 149 0n the web and read the reviews. We booked for 4 days which was to be a seaside break but we had no idea what to expect. We had a fantastic time and extended our stay by 2 days. The place was spotless and well equiped with a very pleasant view. The weather was changeable but 149 was an excellent base to walk on the beach from and drive to the local amenities. The pool was deserted when we were there but was maintained to a high standard nevertheless. All the staff were friendly and very effective. All in all a great inroduction to Texas and the Gulf coast. We cannot praise the Island Retreat No 149 too highly!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bjamesb
Michigan
Reviewed March 6, 2009

We stayed in Island Retreat #126 for a week and had a wonderful time. It is near great fishing, beach, golf (Newport Beach Golf Club), and the USS Lexington (great historical aircraft carrier museum in Corpus Christi). Coastline Adventures was easy to work with. We had a few burned out lightbulbs on arrival, which they fixed immediately even though it was Sunday. They are very clear that they want to know about any maintenance issues immediately so they have the chance to fix them during your stay. The maintenance man was very friendly and wanted to make sure everything was done to our satisfaction. The condo is an efficiency, recently redecorated and very bright, cheerful, and beachy cute. It is a great value for the money. We prefer more casual accomodations where we can cook for ourselves when we choose, and prefer value over the granite and marble type 5 star accomodations, so consider our perspective when reading this review. The owner obviously is very thoughtful- the condo has cable, high speed internet access, a guest book with restaurant and tourist suggestions, and is stocked with adult and kids books and videos as well as a good selection of cookware and dishes. The location is terrific and we enjoyed hearing the surf crash on the beach every night. We chose a ground floor unit so we could easily walk to the beach. The trade off is more view of dunes than water but one can still see the Gulf from the patio and the view is beautiful just the same. It is a short walk to the beach, which was clean and well maintained. The complex exterior is well maintained by the condo association. The 2 pools were sparkling clean, and there are nice tennis courts, a playground, picnic tables and grills right across the parking lot. I can't comment on the Island Retreat staff, since all of our interactions were with Coastline Adventures and the condo owner herself. Would highly recommend the unit to couples or young families in search of a good deal on the beach.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank luv2r0am
A Hot and Humid Bayou City
Reviewed September 2, 2008

I see I'm not the only one to have a problem with Coastline Adventures (see bilboinsa review 8/21/08). We booked Unit 126 through Coastline for Labor Day weekend for two adults and two dogs. Coastline was advised of our plans to bring our dogs and they only mentioned a $350 damage deposit to be charged to our credit card. Totally understandable. We arrived late Friday afternoon and checked in at their office and drove to the property. The unit reeked of "dog smell" and when we opened the curtains and blinds, pet hair went flying everywhere as it did when my husband put the suitcases on the bed. Other than the pet hair and a few dead bugs (it is Texas after all), the place was clean so we decided to make the best of it. We turned on the a/c and the ceiling fan and went to get groceries and air freshener. After that, no problem with the smell as long as air was circulating.

After we returned home, we received a call from Kimberly at Coastline advising us that we were being charged for additional cleaning due to excessive pet hair. I told her I disagreed with the charge due to the pet hair we noticed on the beds and curtains upon our arrival. She then informed me that we should have called to let them know and I said that we didn't feel it necessary at the time, but I sure wish I would have now. I explained that at this point it becomes my word against hers and she told me her "inspector" had deemed the place pet hair free after the previous guest and then asked me if my dogs shed. Well, of course they do, they're dogs! However, they didn't shed excessively and certainly not enough to produce what was on the curtains alone.

I told Kimberyly that we are always very grateful to be able to travel with our dogs and appreciate places that are pet friendly. We take the dog beds and also an old sheet to put over the people beds just in case they get up. We are responsible pet owners and do everything we can to make sure we won't be a reason for a place to stop being pet friendly. We also realize that there may be a "dog smell" and some pet hair at places that allow pets, however it's something we deal with so that we can travel with our dogs. Anyone with dogs knows it's impossible to clean up every single hair.

We discussed it a bit further and I asked to speak to her manager at which time she stated she was the boss. Kimberly must have taken offense because at this point in the conversation, she stammered that the pet hair from my dogs completely clogged up her housecleaner's vacuum and that it needed to be repaired. I chuckled and told her that was absurd since we had only been there two days and we had even left a day early because family was coming to stay with us after evacuating from New Orleans due to Gustav. And, no, I didn't even try to get a refund for the one night because the confirmation sheet stated "no refunds for early departure". I wasn't thrilled, but that's the way it goes and now Coastline is trying to ding me for additional cleaning. I could see the conversation was only going to deteriorate quickly after I asked if she even understood my point of view and she snapped, "well, you sure don't see mine" so we left it at that and ended the call.

I strongly advise against booking a property through Coastline Adventures and if you do, be sure to ask for the "inspector" to visit before you leave because once you do, there is no recourse.

As far as the property, it is an older property and the unit we were in was renovated. The walk to the beach wasn't bad, but the oil glops all over the beach were gross. Take your bug spray and use it! Those Texas mosquitoes will carry you off and swarm as you walk through the dunes to the beach. We had wonderful meals at Beach and Station (stuffed flounder - delish) and they are dog friendly on the porch. The Texas Pot Boil at the Port A Beach Lodge was amazing. Holy cow....
only $30 for a feast for two (that could have fed four) of shrimp, crab, sausage, corn, potatoes...oh, and a salad! =)

• Stayed August 2008
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank NattieBrew
Iloveportaransas, Owner at Island Retreat, responded to this review, November 7, 2008
As the owner of Island Retreat #126, I am obviously concerned with the experience you had with the unit and the management company. It is my personal goal as an owner and frequent user of our wonderful little condo to make sure it is in tip top condition and the management company is working with our guests to enhance their experience in Port Aransas.
It is a very popular beachfront rental . In an effort to provide an ongoing, clean and comfortable experience, the unit will be getting new flooring, platform beds and linens in this fall. As loving dog owners we know it is important to find places that will accomodate our furry friends and we hope we will be able to continue our dogs are welcome policy. We are addressing your concerns with the management company. We have had hundreds of guests with positive experiences in #126 and will continue to work with our management company to remain in good standing with our guests.