“Island Retreat unit #25”
Review of Island Retreat

Island Retreat
Reviewed January 24, 2014

We spent Thanksgiving at Island Retreat unit #25. It was a great experience. The unit is very inviting and comfortable. It is adorable, decorated in a soothing "shabby chic" style. Perfect for after a day on the beach! It's a plus that the unit is on the bottom floor. You can see the water from the balcony, and just open your gate and head to the boardwalk or the pool. You drive right up to the door, making unloading groceries and beach toys simple and easy. I would recommend this unit to all my friends.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Danette P
CaseyIslandR, Front Office Manager at Island Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

We are very happy you have chosen to spend your holiday with the Island Retreat. Thank you for sharing how much you enjoyed your getaway. Happy travelers make it all worth it! Please continue to consider us when you feel the urge to have sand between your toes and listen to the waves roll in.

There are newer reviews for Island Retreat

Reviewed October 15, 2013

We stayed in unit 248 which is privately owned and kept up very well, clean and cozy. We had our coffee on the balcony every morning and saw the sunrise and the waves coming in. Had a super great time in the awesome pool and on the beach. It was my best ever experience in Port Aransas and I have been going there for all my life. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Room 248 has 2 double beds and a kitchen w/balcony and reasonably priced, clean and cozy.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Resort grounds were great. Pool clean & very nice. Proximity to beach was great albeit a somewhat long walk - but super nice new boardwalk. Service was minimal but friendly & adequate. Room -- worn out. Tired furniture. Not enough dishes in unit that supposedly sleeps 10. Beds fairly comfy. AC worked great. Nice new tv but (get this) only had a VCR player!! (& no "tapes"). What, what!? We brought DVDs to watch. RIDICULOUS in basic tech dept. Couldn't even rent one or get one from front office. Other than general worn out property & lacking kitchen equipment, VCR was only other basic drawback.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Kat0808
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Everything is ok, except that the living room and the floor in the unit need to be really cleaned, I was very uncomfortable with my kids sitting in the living room sofas. Love island retreat and the spacious unit 41, all the utensils and enough room for 8. Clean bathroom. Grate location.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Vero02013
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed in unit #4. It's an easy walk to the beach but too far to carry all the things that make hanging out on the beach fun. So, we drove and parked on the beach the day we wanted to stay out on the beach all day. The walls were paper thin, so we could hear everything said in the room next door. Luckily they must have gone to sleep early because we slept great, didn't hear a thing over the rattle of the air conditioner.

The beds were comfortable and the place clean.

The pool looked nice but we didn't go in it.

Good deal for the money.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 9, 2013

A friend and I stayed here for a long weekend recently. She stays here each summer with her sister-in-law and knows me well enough to know I would not be happy in 'economy' digs so she upgraded us to a unit with a balcony. Good move on her part. Great ocean view and she kept saying how nice the room was compared to the one she usually stayed in. That comment made me wonder because our unit was furnished in "early Goodwill". One chair was had a cushion but only three straps of webbing so you really couldn't sit on it unless you wanted your tushy on the floor!

But really, who goes to the beach for the room? And the beach was fabulous, easy walk from the units though most drive their car down and park because of the great beach parking and ease of unloading. (Year long beach parking pass $10 and she already had one on her car)

Island Retreat really set up for families on a budget. There are two tennis courts (one actually has a net!) that have badly cracked surfaces. We played but we play for fun and exercise and were able to avoided the biggest cracks.

There were lots of kids enjoying the play ground and the two pools on property. And I would not hesitate to bring my grandkids here.

The staff is probably the biggest shortcoming of this place. When my friend called to get a room they told her our room did not have an ocean view and we would need to upgrade to get one...our balcony had a great view of the dunes and the ocean. At night we could see the lights of the ships lining up to come into Corpus the next day. When we got there and checked in and asked to split the bill they charged my card $60 more and when we brought it to their attention, they said "well she needs to pay you $60". When I suggested that they redo the charges they were mystified as to how to do that!

Still, for the price, and the view, and the beach...I would do it again (and bring my own toilet paper)!

Room Tip: Facing the ocean at least the second floor.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Suzanne S
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Stayed at Island Retreat just a few weekends ago with my family. We had an excellent stay!

ROOM
When we made our reservation, I combed through the available units and took the virtual tour of each one to make sure I picked a unit that I liked. The one we chose (134) was renovated earlier this year and was in amazing condition, just as depicted in the photos. 134 is a second floor unit and even though there was an occupied unit above us (as well as below us) during our stay (as well as people on either side of us), we heard very little noise! I loved the fact that IR has quiet hours from 10pm to 7am -- made it very easy to stay there with our small children and know that they would get a good night's sleep. We had everything we needed during our stay and the only small issue I had was not understanding how to adjust the thermostat in our room. It was just a little too cold in our unit and we never figured out how to adjust the thermostat. I'm sure I could have called the office for help, but it was such a minor issue I didn't feel the need.

GROUNDS/POOL/PLAYSCAPE
The pool was clean and the shaded seating area near the pool was a huge plus. The playscape was another reason we booked here -- it was a great diversion for our kids during key times! However, be aware that there are stickers in the grass (not IR's fault -- I think this is common for grassy areas along the coastline) and we also encountered what we thought were fire ants near the playscape (something IR might want to look into in case there is anything they can do about that). One small suggestion for future improvement that IR might consider is adding some shade to the playscape, but it is still a great playscape and added bonus for families who have kids!

BOARDWALK/BEACH
The boardwalk to the beach was great -- allowed us to easily walk back and forth between our setup on the beach and our room -- definitely came in handy when our kids needed to take their afternoon nap. If you have a lot of things to take out to the beach (like we did), I suggest driving your car to the beach and dropping off your things out there -- you should have a beach permit for your car though, if you plan on leaving your car parked on the beach (which we did, and then we drove our car back to the hotel at the end of the day). Another reason we chose to stay at IR this time (as opposed to units outside the city of Port Aransas, where we have stayed the past few years) is because this area of beach has a small driving lane for cars to drive down the beach with the largest section of the beach blocked off to cars -- making it MUCH safer/less stressful for families who have small children with them (like we did). Some people view this as a downside (having to park your car a bit of a distance away from your beach shade/etc near the ocean) but we see it as a huge plus, knowing that our kids can run around near us after we've set up on the beach and we don't have to worry about them being hit by a car.

STAFF
I cannot say enough about how friendly, professional and efficient the staff were. Every encounter I had with them (office staff and security guard) was a positive one. I've been going to Port A several times a year since I was a kid, and most of the staff I've encountered at condos in Port A have been mediocre but not at Island Retreat. I was pleasantly surprised by the staff -- it made my long-awaited beach getaway weekend so much more enjoyable!!!! I'll leave you with one story that exemplifies how amazing they are -- when we got home we realized that somehow, my daughter had lost her DEARLY BELOVED stuffed kitty cat sometime between the time we were checking out of the room and the time we finally returned home. After desperately calling the places we'd stopped between IR and home, and turning all of our things inside out SEVERAL TIMES OVER, we thought we would never see her little stuffed kitty again. I called Island Retreat (but wasn't very hopeful, knowing how busy they are, etc) and they called me back a few days later with the best news I have heard all year! Our kitty is in the mail on his way back to us and I cannot thank the staff at IR enough. To be concerned enough to help us with the return of our child's beloved toy -- you do not find many hotels willing to go that extra mile anymore.

Thank you Island Retreat! You are our new favorite place to stay in Port A and we cannot wait to go back!

Room Tip: Visit their official website to view photos and virtual tours of the rooms -- that will help you mak...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family