“Great Place - Fun Trip!”

Port Royal Ocean Resort & Conference Center
Dallas, TX
“Great Place - Fun Trip!”
Reviewed July 7, 2005

This was our second trip to Port Royal, our first being over July 4 weekend in '04. Although we were pleased with our visit last year, I must say this year was even better. We rented a 2BR condo rather than a 1BR, and the boys (14 and 15) had their own room this time, which was great for them (and us!). The 2BR's are VERY roomy and ours was very well maintained and clean. The service was great (we checked in 2 hrs early and room was ready) and some upgrades have been made to the facility since last year - new BBQ cookers, permanent picnic tables w/covers, new wood on the patios outside the condos, paint, etc...a nice touch. Staff was very friendly and helpful. We didn't eat at the restaurant, as we grilled out each night except one when we went to Port A and ate at Trout Street (also good). Maids kept the room very clean and all appliances were in good working order. One downside is the pools and hot tubs are somewhat dirty, although with a pool this large I suppose it's hard to keep it clean. I would have liked to see more "sweeping" of debris off the bottom of the pool. Never ventured into the hot tubs, as they were mostly occupied by teens and college students in the evening who sat in them and drank all night (and never seemed to leave to go to the restroom, if you know what I mean). Great boardwalk to the beach, and now Corpus Christi has annexed the land all the way up the highway just past Port Royal, and they seem to keep the beaches much cleaner of seaweed...a real plus! Overall, a great experience and we will probably go back again next year. Although it's an old facility, it's maintained very well. Couple of Tips - be sure to ask for a renovated condo when you make your reservations...I've done this both times, and we've had good luck with our accomodations. And, ask the for "Drive and Dive" special when reserving a room and you'll get a $40 gift card you can use for gas, food, etc. a the local Circle K...definitely helpful with today's gas prices what they are. Room price per night is a little steep ($325), but for the beach, I guess you have to pay that. They also offered an extra night or two at 1/2 price at the conclusion of your stay, so if you don't have to be back at work right away, it is a nice way to extend the vacation. P.S. Went to Port A on the 4th for the fireworks show...for a town of only 3,000 people, it was quite a show! One final Tip - would NOT recommend taking a "deep sea" fishing trip on the Wharf Cart (at Fisherman's Wharf) unless you are very conditioned to the waves. We went on this trip hoping to catch some shark and kingfish. The trip out was 1 hr, during which all of our family (and probably half of the 50+ people on board) got seasick...only four fish caught the whole trip by all the people fishing. Cost me $180 for the four of us and I was the only one who fished, and caught nothing. The wife and kids slept off their seasickness. A BAD experience...don't recommend unless you can handle the waves. Next time we'll stick with the bay fishing.

• Stayed July 2005
14 Thank TX525

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Reviewed July 6, 2005

My wife and I went to Pt Royale for anniversary and to "scout" for future family trips with extended family and friends.
There was a leak in the bathroom that soaked into the master bedroom and our luggage. Instead of moving they wet vac'd it up, put a fan in the room, and deoderized the floor. It didn't help and the smell was so nausiating we finally convinced them to move us to a room that didn't reek of sewage. The room they moved us to (at 1:30 am) had not been cleaned (including unflushed toilet) from the previous guest so in the middle of the night we moved to a third room. It was the worst night I've ever had in a resort. The night clerk promised to comp the night but the day manager trumped her and denied it and dismissed our concerns by saying we should be happy to be moved to a larger room.
They got our $99 for the room but lost our business and friends and families business forever!

• Stayed May 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 3, 2005

My husband and I put a lot of research into bringing our children and grandchildren to Port Aransas. In February we came on a scouting mission and toured every resort in the area before deciding upon Port Royal. This research paid off well and we could not have been happier with our stay. The two condos we rented were roomy, very nicely decorated and immaculate. Housekeeping came in daily and changed sheets, towels and even used the vaccum when needed.
The swimming pool was a big hit with the family. It is actually four very large pools which sit side by side and fill up the entire courtyard. The pool closest to the beach has a large water slide. Palm trees and blooming hibiscus are everywhere. The staff is very friendly and go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable.
We were a little apprehensive about going to Port Royal after reading some of the reviews you have published. Since we had toured the facility ourselves we decided to go ahead with our plans. The family was thrilled with our choice. We are very happy we chose Port Royal and plan to visit again.

• Stayed June 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 28, 2005

We loved our stay! Ok, I grew up in Texas and I know the beach isn't the best. After taking the family to South Carolina, Florida and Mexico this time we drove to Port Aransas. I loved the small beach town as much as I did as a child. Port Royal was wonderful. From the rooms to the pool I was very pleased. They do have alot of rules, but that is what makes the place to safe and comfortable. My children learned to surf and had more fun then they have in past beach trips. They never noticed the beach sand was tan and not white. We plan on going again.

Stayed June 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
St. Louis, Mo.
Reviewed March 28, 2005

We just returned from Port Aransas two days ago. We stayed at the Port Royal Ocean Resort. We were very dissappointed in our trip. This was our first visit to the Texas Gulf Coast and we will never go back. We couldn't believe that the beaches were roads! Dirty and full of trash. Our children didn't want to dig in the sand for fear of what they might find. Our Condo was okay. Nothing to do except swim in a cold pool. We had poor cable reception in the second condo we rented (for only one of the four nights we were there) So we rented videos for 10.99, for two for 24 hours. The list was limited so we rented the best we could find. I suggest you bring your own videos. We played horse shoes and shuffle board with equipment I wouldn't even sell at a garage sale. The mosquitoes at the vollyball court and horseshoe/shuffle board area were aweful, and we could see the standing water where they evidently were breeding. There is nothing to do in Port Aransas. No mini golf, no area to stroll and get ice-cream. This is a place only for "locals" I regret we actually flew there, rented a car, and then over paid for a condo, with nothing to do. We will go to Florida, again, from now on.

• Stayed June 2005
26 Thank elizabeth a
Reviewed March 23, 2005

We recently stayed at the Port Royal and the vacation turned out horrible. The place is not maintained, the staff is unresponsive when other guests were drinking loudly in the common areas, and the pool was ice cold. Each morning when we got up, you could count the empty beer cans in and around the hotel by the case, literally. Definetly not where I will take my family again.

• Stayed March 2005
18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 22, 2005

Pros-Pools, On site restaurants and gift shop, balconies at night

Cons-pricey, getting run down, noise at 2 am

First, I will say I grew up in this area and I am used to the exteriors of buildings not being beautiful. I saw this complaint quite a bit when reading other reviews but it is VERY difficult to keep things looking pretty with 20mph salty winds blowing on it every day. There are some things they could fix to make it look better. I think the landscaping around the pools is beautiful.

We started going there about 9 years ago after we had our first child because we wanted a beach vacation we could drive to(from Austin). This is a good place if you have nursing/napping children because if you get a pool view room you can sit on the balcony and watch the pool area while your child naps in the room. I liked this because I didn't feel like I was secluded from the rest of the family. I learned to like my time reading on the balcony.

We have always stayed in 2/2 unit facing the pool. The other half face the Gulf but I saw that view for the first 20 years of my life so I liked the action of the pool. I've heard some of the 3/3 units are great and they all have a hot tub in the unit. Some of the units we had were nice some were dated and I don't know if they will let you request a certain unit. They did not let me.

The pools are awesome(2 or 3 large hot tubs also). The pool nearest the lobby is pretty shallow (about 2 feet) for a big area and so is great for the non swimming children to play in; with supervision of course. At the other end, nearest the beach, there is a water slide the kids love. The beach is a fairly short walk on the boardwalk and there are showers to get all the sand off before you go back to the pool or room.

The rooms all have full kitchens and washer/dryer. We usually bring enough food for the first day or so and then go to the local grocery (IGA) for everything else. The first couple of years I brought everything thinking the prices would be real high and then when I needed to get something I looked around the store and the prices were lower than they are in Austin. If you want anything special bring it with you because Port A is not a big place so they don't have a great variety but plenty for us. I love having a W/D in the unit because that way I don't have to bring a ton of towels and clothes. I wash every evening and when I run back to the room during the day(with 5 people this is nice).

My favorite thing about Port Royal is the facilities they have on-site that no other place in Port A has. There is a restaurant that serves b, l, and d and room service is available. I have never been in the restaurant but every year get room service at least once and the food is pretty good. There is also a swim up bar and a grill that serves hamburgers and hot dogs at lunch. In the lobby is a place that has a few items like pizzas, pretzels and fruit slushy drinks. Also, there is a gift shop for hats, sunscreen, drinks, ice, milk, etc. with prices that are not too bad. I think it is nice not to have to drive into town to get something but some might not care about this.

Although we have spent 7 to 9 nights there the previous 9 summers I don't think we will be going this year. The rates are getting high (325+tax of about 50) and since the kids are older we can fly somewhere nicer (like the Bahamas) and stay in a cheaper resort and end up about even but get to visit a new place. I'll miss going to Port Royal and will maybe go for a weekend.

The worst things about Port Royal for me are the guest restrictions and the noise at night. As I said I am from the area so like to have guests out for the day. I have to pay $10 per guest per day which I don't mind because it keeps the pools from becoming overcrowded but I am limited to 4 guests a day. My brother has 7 family members; my best friend has 6 so it is hard to decide who can visit and I don't have the option of paying more to get them in. The noise after the guests get in from the bars (about 2-3 am) has always bothered me. I sleep like a log but the bedrooms are all on the hallway and the drunks stand outside and yell. I have been woken up probably 2 to 3 nights every visit and it is very irritating.

An inside tip: I saw some complaints about this so will explain further. There is a tradition at Port Royal to stake out a pool-side table early, get it set up and then go back to the room and get ready for the day. For this you will need your own beach towels and stuff like noodles, icechest, etc. Nothing valuable. Get the person in your group who wakes up the earliest to take all your stuff to a table and cover all the chairs you will need with your own towels(Port Royal has plenty of pool towels but people will throw them off if you are not sitting there). I think the gates open about 7 to 7:30 am. My H wakes up about 5 so this is not a problem for us. I think this is an awful tradition and refused to do it the first few days of our first visit but ended up with such crappy seats we do it now.

Anyway, Port A is a cool little beach town; Relax and have fun.

• Stayed August 2004