“In need of repairs!”

Port Royal Ocean Resort & Conference Center
Austin,TX
“In need of repairs!”
Reviewed January 6, 2005

The pool area is awesome, but the hot tubs are always over-crowded, and the swim up bar is hardly open. You can get a really nice room or a dump. We've had both. The building is getting run down and alot of the staff are rude. All in all, it used to be the best place, but not any more. Check out the Grand Caribbean or Mustang Towers. They're both cheaper and better.

14 Thank bchgirl62

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Reviewed January 1, 2005

I hated port royal, and am considering filing a lawsuit for imprisonment. my friend went to ask for a key and they made every person in all three of our rooms go to the loby, and they locked us out of our rooms until we showed up. We were a group of 20 year olds staying with our parents who were out to lunch. They refused to let us back into our room until our parents returned from lunch. NEVER STAY THERE. as a result of them locking us out of our rooms my friend almost missed his plane home. the service and people working their are awful.

16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Austin, Texas
Reviewed October 31, 2004

I just spent a long weekend here October 27-31, 2004. This place is great and a great value. I am not sure why there are seem to be so many disappointed customers. The place is not beat up or a dump, it suffers form salt air, but nothing more. I have been all over the Caribbean, Hawaii and Europe and this is great family fun for the right price. I was in 2/2 #3224 right at the end by the big slide so there was a view fo the pool and the ocean. This unit had three TVs, a VCR two king beds, two fold outs and a couch. The staff was nice and accomodating and out of the way. I asked to see the room first (based on some of the horror stories I read here) and there was no fuss, they escorted me and it was fine. The attitude is worry free with ridiculously long pool hours 1AM on weekends and no one bugging anyone about anything. No obnoxious rules and don'ts, feels almost like Mexico in that they don't care what you do, bring beer to the pool etc. Only beef, was it would have been nice if the swim up bar was open, but then again I brought my own stuff and twisted up cocktails and brought them to the pool myself.

As many of my friends who have returned repeatedly say, I'd go again, for sure.

• Stayed October 2004
10 Thank My_name_is_Paesan
Reviewed October 2, 2004

We stayed two nights the first weekend in October. The building is an older one but we really enjoyed our two room condo. It was very spacious and contained everything we could possibly need. I was very happy to find a washer & dryer. Also in the condo was a full kitchen, two full bathrooms, TV's in all rooms, a VCR and CD player in the living area, a jacuzzi tub in the master bathroom and a huge balcony with plenty of patio furniture. Our room was nice & clean and my only complaint is that it's time for new mattresses (sp?) & boxsprings. With that said, we really went for the outside fun! We really enjoyed the pool area. It wasn't too crowded but, then again, it is October. Often enough, we'd have one of the hot tubs to ourselves and the line for the water slide was never bad. My kids really enjoyed swimming from pool to pool, there are four of them. The staff were pleasant and helpful. Despite the age of the buildings, I would definitely go again although, probably not during peak season. I can see it being annoying when it's so crowded. The weather here is great in September & early October, that's the time to go. I rated these accommodations "above average" for the amenities and the fact that once you arrive, there's no need to leave, due to the restaurant and the on site store. We hope to return!

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 9, 2004

My college graduation was in December and my family rented a 3 bedroom for my family to stay at, everybody was over 21. I lived about 25 minutes away, and the staff was extremely courteous, even giving me an extra parking pass so I could park my car near the condo. They loved the beach and the security that kept rowdier people away.

This past May, my uncle(who looks very much like my dad) stayed there on our recommendation and the staff remembered my family and asked how my graduation went!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 18, 2004

I am 33 years old and up to 4 years ago my family and I stayed for 2 weeks at Port Royal every summer. (for as long as I can Remeber)

The last trip consisted of horrible service, a very dirty and ran down room, and no appreciation for many years and alot of money spent. The last trip happened to fall on my fathers b-day. There was another couple staying at a different condo the time of this trip. There was a small party for my father that consisted of myself, 2 year old daughter, wife, sister, mother and father. The staff at Port Royal complained that the guests were still there. Not by the pool in our room, and they knew this because their vehicle was still there parked in front. (not in assigned parking area) Needless to say they threatened to tow their vehicle if they did not leave. There were no complaints, load music, nothing to justify this harsh behavior. The management was very uncaring and acted like they did not care. This was not the only "bad" time there, it seemed as if it got worse the longer we stayed. I guess we should have changed, but we did have some great times there.

The property is in poor shape and depending on the room you get they also are in need of repairs, some even major. Diry carpet, walls, and major mildew smell.

dont go, spend all that money on a place where you are treated like a guest, not a bother. This place needs to remeber that the guest ultimately keeps them employed.!!!

21 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed July 8, 2004

We stayed at Port Royal June 18-20, 2004. We have been to Port Royal many times since 1987 and have enjoyed each and every visit. On this last visit, our extended family had 3 different rooms and each room was very nicely decorated and furnished. We had no problems with the front desk, and they were actually very helpful with whatever we needed. The entire family ate in the hotel's restaurant for breakfast one morning and the food and service was excellent for such a large group. The things we like about Port Royal: All the pools, the slide at the top pool, the beautiful and well-maintained tropical grounds, the swim-up bar and snack bar, the covered parking, the well-stocked store, the nicely decorated, comfortable and well-furnished rooms, the huge patio to hang out on, the tennis and volleyball courts, the boardwalk to the beach, the shower-stations by the boardwalk, etc. Another thing we like about the pools at Port Royal is that they don't close at 10pm. It's nice to be able to stay at the pool later than that and we have never been bothered in our room by late-night noise from the pool. The pool tables in the game room are a nice touch, but it would be nice if they could be moved away from where children run around.
We wil definitely go back to Port Royal just as soon as we can.

• Stayed June 2004