“I did not get what I paid for!”

Port Royal Ocean Resort & Conference Center
Reviewed July 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Port Royal from 06/23-06/27/2013. We were in room 2202. For the money we spent, this was a lack-luster resort. For starters, the oven did not work. Two different lights were burned out and no TP! I received an e-mail saying that all construction was complete....WRONG! We were subjected to the noise and dust flying from construction all around the pool! Parking was a joke. Our room was on one end of the resort and the assigned parking spot was on the other. Like I said, for what we spend I expected a little more. I paid for a working stove and did not get one. It was never fixed and they never offered to comp us.

Room Tip: Good luck with getting a good room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Wendy M
PortRoyalOceanResort, Online Community Manager at Port Royal Ocean Resort & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Hi Wendy,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I apologize about all of the inconveniences your stay and am sad to see that your stay wasn't a pleasant one. We hope that you consider giving us another chance and if so, please know that you can always call the front desk or maintenance to fix any problems dealing with your condo.

We hope to see you again,

Reviewed June 14, 2013

My daughter's Brownie troop decided to spend all of their hard-earned troop funds on a great beach vacation. We had two, two bedroom condos. We had six people in each unit, 3 adults and 3 girls each. Our condo was very basic, I would give it a C grade. Fortunately I never saw the other unit until we were ready to leave, because it was about 20 times nicer, and larger than the unit that we stayed in! Each condo is individually owned, so the decor and amenities in each unit are unique to that owner. Except each unit is supposed to have two rollaway beds. Ours only had one, and that was not acceptable, with about 1/3 of the springs around the edges missing. The poor lady who volunteered to sleep on it actually had to put the mattress on the floor and sleep there. After our first night there, I saw a dead cockroach on the floor near the kitchen, not far enough away from where our poor comrade was sleeping on the floor. There was plastic patio furniture on the lanai/patio. Unfortunately it had not been cleaned in a long time, so we didn't use it. Overall it is a gamble as to getting a nice unit or not. Also there are outside corridors, which means lots of running around and noise when you are hoping to sleep.

We stayed there the weekend of June 1, 2013. They had just "finished" the pool renovation, although there was plenty of construction and landscaping going on as we sat near the pool on that Saturday morning. Their idea of finished was to get the job complete enough for the big Memorial Day weekend and then complete the rest afterwards. These guys are working hard to finish the job, but they were also smoking all over the guests, and wheeling dirt and landscaping materials all around us. Not my idea of a resort vacation. The pool is large, and has many fun features. There are pool towels available, but they were only available in one location at the opposite end of where were were staying, and the towels were quite tiny, but better than nothing. It does not compare in any way to a vacation you might have had in Hawai'i, so don't try and compare it to that. This is still the Gulf of Mexico, Port Aransas, in Texas.

We went to the beach, which there is a nice wood plank walkway constructed that leads from the pool area to the beach. It's probably a five minute walk from the resort to the sand. There were showers to clean off from the beach, and a picnic area nearby. The beach is raked with heavy equipment every morning, as there is a lot of seaweed that deposits on the beach each night.

Overall we enjoyed our trip, mainly because we had fun as a group. But I wish there was a way to know if we were getting a nice unit or how to get a nicer unit. For the amount of money it costs to stay here, I expect better.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
9  Thank plumeria9

Thank your for your review of our resort! We are glad that you were able to have a good time at the beach and pool with your group but apologize for all of the inconveniences that occurred during your trip.

You are correct in saying that the condos vary. Each owner has designed their condo with unique tastes that unfortunately don't always match up to those of the guests. If you are able to return, please don't hesitate to contact the front desk with any problem you may have in your room - they are always ready and willing to assist when possible.

Hopefully you will give us another chance soon now that all is complete!

Reviewed June 13, 2013

The pool renovation is really great, there are some finishing touches, ladders, spa, bar and grill but our trip has been great. We have a family of 10, 4 adults, two 19 year old boys, and 4 little girls. Our three bedroom condo, fits us all, with some aero beds! Having a kitchen is a must, and we are very happy.

The staff is very friendly and have been talking about the plans for more improvements, updated poolside bathrooms, etc.

We rented a cabana while we are here and for our family it is a god send, gets us out of the sun when needed and a good place to catch naps for little ones and adults.

Wi-Fi is stable, so much so that we have banned electronics.

Beach and boardwalk is nice, we spend day at pool but walk on beach at night.

I have come here for many years and am very happy with the changes, and I do think for the price the upgrades were a must. I will say that the resort allows a church group of teenagers to use the resort pool in afternoons, and for years these have been good kids, this year still good kids and the lifeguards keep an eye on them, but they crowd the pool so much that it is hard to always see the smaller kids and let them play. I wish the Church Camp Counselors were a little more "on hand" but this is a minor thing.

We have another day and a half, and like my review said, we have already reserved our room and cabana for next year.

Great for kids of ALL ages.

Room Tip: Ask for updated room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank BucklesTX

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We are thrilled that you and your family had such a great time and even more excited that you have already booked for next year. I am so glad that you were able to be one of the first to try out the new cabanas! And, yes, there were will be a few more improvements such as new poolside bathrooms! Can't wait for you all to see the final results!

Reviewed June 3, 2013

We chose this hotel for it's proximity to the beach, the kiddie pool, the BBQ pits, and to have lodging with separate rooms for us and the kids (two twin beds in one room for the kids, one fabulously large master bath with huge walk in closet and bathroom for us), as well as the living room area and kitchen.

All these details were seriously great. Great set up, really comfortable, the pools is fantastic for kids, the adult pool is roomy, lots of seating with outdoor food/drink service. Convenient shop on the ground floor. BBQ were great, and you can buy charcoal at the resort. Nice to have the washer/dryer in the room, and the kitchen, and a fairly good coffeepot. I woke up before the kids every morning the week we spent there, grabbed my coffee, and watched the sunrise. The boardwalk to the beach is really lovely too.

The problem was -- when we walked in the first day it was disgusting. This was mid Spring Break, and the room had clearly not been cleaned from the previous occupants (who I heard were unruly young guests who broke several things in the room). The floor was black, and there was a USED condom under the bed that was five year old daughter was about to fall asleep in.

Obviously not acceptable condition for the room to be in. I went straight downstairs and spoke to the supervisor and she was SO apologetic and mortified, she immediately sent housekeeping to clean it. She made no excuses, only apologies, which was nice for a change to hear from a hotel supervisor! The crew cleaned the room up perfectly, and they came every day to clean again, and always gave us extra laundry soap because they knew we had kids who aren't afraid of getting dirty.

So, after it was cleaned up properly, we had a fantastic stay and would book again anytime.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Expat-in-America

Thank you for taking the time to write this great review! We apologize again about your room and are very glad we were able to get this resolved. I'm so glad you were able to enjoy everything we have to offer, including the pool area and all of the amenities in your condo.

We definitely hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed June 3, 2013

I really have a problem with some of the more recent reviews on this site, which appear to have been written six months to a year after the reviewer's visit. I also have a problem with reviewers who complain, on on hand, about the renovation work that is underway, but then also complain that some of the rooms are in need of renovation.

So let me say this - I returned from a weekend trip to Port Royal YESTERDAY, and the grounds were gorgeous! The pool renovation is complete - a "little" ongoing work on the landscaping and one of the hot tubs was still underway, but all of the recreational facilities were OPEN. (A temporary bar was set up since the poolside bar is being rebuilt). There were NO mosquitos! I certainly can't comment on the condition of all rooms, but mine (poolside, two bedroom unit) was FINE.

Let's face it - the Texas coast will never be Florida, so don't come here expecting that it will be. But this place is really as close as you will get to a top-notch resort that is just a couple of hours drive from most locations in South Texas.

Room Tip: Now that the brown dome is gone, many of the poolside rooms would appear to also have a good view of...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank TripleKG

Thank you so much for your review. We really appreciate all of your kind words and are so happy to hear that you had a great time with us. We hope that you will return very soon to see the final results of the swim-up bar!

Reviewed June 1, 2013

I remembered Port Royal fondly from my high school days, in the late 90s. I really wanted to like this place, but was utterly disappointed. Last summer was our first family trip to the coast with our first child who was two and half. I called the reservation line and had a wonderful conversation about requesting an updated room. She said not everyone requests one so it shouldn't be a problem. We get there, we check in, not only is the girl at the front desk rude and unfriendly but there's a swarm of mosquitos around the door to the condo. Now I live in South Texas, and I've been to the coast, and I expect a million mosquitos. I packed two cans of Off spray. This was excessive. My son was terrified. Then we get in the door, and I'm terrified. The once white grout on the tile is black and the carpet crunched under my feet. I could keep going, but to get to the point, this was not an updated unit, and I'm not entirely certain, but I think it was 2216. I called the front desk and was told there was nothing else. My heart sank and we toughed through the vacation, but I can't go back to Port Royal and play reservation roulette. You can request an updated room, but who knows if you'll get it. The pools are really nice, and the boardwalk to the beach is great. It's a well maintained property. This year, we're trying the Mayan Princess only because it too has nice pools and a boardwalk, and you can reserve an individual condo. If Port Royal changes their reservation system to allow for individual condos to be reserved, then I would love to come back.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank Katie C
PortRoyalOceanResort, Community Relations Manager at Port Royal Ocean Resort & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Hi Katie,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We apologize about the inconveniences that occurred during your stay, but I'm glad you were able to enjoy the pools and boardwalk. Unfortunately, mosquitos come and go depending on the weather. I have given management your suggestion about the room reservations.

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Our family rented a two bedroom condo for the Memorial Day weekend. The condo was clean and well stocked with pots and pans and dishes for cooking. It also had a dishwasher and washer and dryer, and microwave.
One bed room had a king bed and the second room had two twin beds. Each bedroom had a bathroom. The windows in the bedrooms need darkening shades because the outside hall walk lights lighten the room at night.The common area had a big TV and there was a nice furnished balcony overlooking the pools. The furniture in the condo was beach style and clean and enough seating for our family of five.
The pools were huge, with baby pools and water park and bigger pools, all located in the center area of the complex. There was a private board walk down to the beach and rinse off showers near the board walk. There were bar set ups near the pool, and a small inside bar for food and drinks.
There was some construction going on in the swim up bar area and the water slide area and could not be used at the time, but there were other pools that were open.
It is a nice place for families with children, and the baby pool is heated as well as two hot tubs.
I did not give it an excellent because on the day before we checked out the housekeeping did not clean our room, change the towels or make the beds like the other days. We called the front desk and they said they would send up housekeeping. After about 40 minutes at 7PM someone brought up fresh towels, but did not clean the rooms. They were very busy that weekend, but for the price we paid they should have cleaned the rooms. Other than that it is a nice place with parking under the building. Great for families with small children.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your great, detailed review! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay. We apologize about the lack of housekeeping on your last day and assure you that this is not the norm. We hope you will give us another chance and come back and visit now that the slides and pools are all open!