“Do you remember the movie "Summer Rental"?”
Review of Moby Dick's

Moby Dick's
Ranked #11 of 78 Restaurants in Port Aransas
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Takeout
Davenport, Florida, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Do you remember the movie "Summer Rental"?”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

First of all I have been a beach goer for over two decades and I am well aware that most beach diners can "fail upwards" as the bar isso low in beach towns. Usually the locals know a few gems. Secondly I have zero issue with waiting. I am very familiar with "beach time" and after all that is why I am here. Last night i waited for nearly two hours for a bread appetizer which was fantastic. When the entrees did arrive they did not disapoint.

Unfortunately that can not be said for Moby Dick's aka the "barnacle".

We decided to stop in for lunch today and let me again clarify that my expectations are slow service, reasonable food, etc.

So this is supposed to be a seafood place a near as i can tell. In the "fish entree" section of the menu the have mahi listed three times. As near as I can tell they have two types of fish on the menu... Mahi and frozen pollock. But to my surprice the menu does claim that all of the shrimp on the menu are "fresh caught wild shrimp from the gulf". I decide that i am all about some fresh coconut shrimp. And ask the server if she could verify they were not frozen. She was not sure so I placed a backup order of the club sandwich without mayo. A little over an hour later the rest of the party indeed recieves "scully's fresh catch of the day" (just another movie reference for those of you keeping score at home. At this point the waitress does let me know that indeed the shrimp are frozen and that she has brought me my alternative order of the catch of the day sandwich... For those of you paying attention at home it does turn out that this was my mother-in-laws order. Still feeling more than forgiving I remind them that I had indeed ordered the club sandwich without mayo. She returns to tell me the kitchen is slammed but that they will get it out shortly.
Sure enough 15 minutes pass and my sandwich arrives as the rest of the table is finishing up. Now of course the sandwich is loaded with mayo. At this point i decide that fasting is best option and send everything back we pay and make a hasty retreat.

Generally i believe people can be too hard on venues. If you are looking to take the kids to a place to see pirate themes take them to this place, peruse the giftshop and then go find a decent meal. This is anything but.

1 Thank Roger T

“Fun for all ages”
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Friendly staff, good prices, great pirate and island atmosphere. The gift shop price are reasonable, too. Must see when visiting Port A.

Austin, Texas, United States
“Bad cook, bad bartender”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Had to sit outside because there was an hour wait. Ordered 2 frozen Margaritas. They were so sour, they scabbed our tongues. We returned them. Ordered a strawberry daiquiri and had little or no alcohol. I had a beer that should have been colder. Placed 2 orders for fried shrimp. Horrible. Looks like they buy their shrimp and fries from HEB in the frozen section. I only ate 3. Service was ok, waitress didnt charge for margaritas she took back. I won't go there again. Should have gone to McDonald's instead.

Texas
“Ahoy”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We didn't notice this restaurant last year when we were here. Moby's is right on the main street with a cool pirate theme. The kids loved it! Prices were reasonable. No one in my family eats seafood but me, so we went so I could stock up! Great peel and eat shrimp and awesome shrimp boil!! Service was a little slow but the environment made up for that.

Visited June 2013
Dallas, Texas
“A fun place to take the kids for lunch”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We had lunch here on our way out of town. Loved the decor and the food was good too. A nice variety on the menu for the seafood lovers and those who prefer something else. Our grandsons loved the pirates and nautical decor and of course, the souvenir shop!