“Don't stay at this motel - dangerous steps and ice maker...”

Red Roof Inn Port Aransas
Ranked #19 of 20 Hotels in Port Aransas
Pleasanton
“Don't stay at this motel - dangerous steps and ice maker...”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Don't stay at this motel - dangerous steps and ice maker broken the whole week and rooms not clean and out dated. Cable not great/ Shower head clogged up and toilet was loose. Scare place!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

1 Thank Troy M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Leander
Reviewed June 24, 2013

The only problems I had was when I first arrived I was charged about $40 too much. The lady at the counter said I had to pay extra for my kid to stay in the same room with. After she charged my credit card and I unloaded my bags I decided to call the front desk and complain. The lady I talked to then assured me it was a mistake but that it would take 3-5 days for my credit card to release the funds. I ended up getting the money back 2 days after I left the hotel. the inconvenience was I went on a tight budget and had to cancel a fishing trip that was planned. but they did fixed the problem as fast as they bank would allow. The only other thing was I was given dirty towels on my last day there. I was in a hurry so I didn't mention it. Other than that it was a clean decent place to stay and I would stay there again, making sure I am charged the right price before my credit card is charged.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

1 Thank Angelica V
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Staying in room 130. Room is filthy and infested with bedbugs and roaches! !!!!! If you make the mistake of staying here like I did, do yourself a favor and check the folds of the bedskirt, under the sheets, and I side your pillow case before laying down. Keep all of your clothes and luggage off of the ground!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank elbantastico
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed June 22, 2013

If you dont mind the basics, and like to save money, the Travelodge is for you.

Lets start with the good. The place is clean, the people are friendly. They serve a very basic breakfast consisting of some cereal, bagels, muffins, coffee, milk, OJ, and a few other small things. The rooms are dated, but sufficiently clean and stocked. There is a safe in the room, but there is a charge for it. They have two picnic tables, some grills, and a pool. Each room had its own AC, and it worked well. There was internet available, and it worked well. Cups, soap, and shampoo were provided. Towels were mostly clean, although some weren't necessarily white anymore. It is located right along one of the main stretches, and the beach is just a mile away. Several very nice restaurants are within walking distance, as well as some shopping.

Now for the less desirable... The rooms were piece parted together. Not sure some of it was to code. The tub spout was not flush or sealed to the wall. There was exposed conduit going to a hole in the wall for the bathroom area light. So what you say? Unfortunately for the south, roaches love damp, dark locations.. and open holes in walls and unsealed wet locations are a boon for them. They made an appearance in our shower. Not the biggest deal.. we stuck him in a cup, then crushed him outside. Moving along.. the bottom sheet was not a fitted sheet.. just a sheet laying over the mattress. The TV was still a tube TV.. no big deal, we didnt even turn it on. Lastly, we were charged for using the safe.. even though we never used it. Not sure why.. I didnt notice till we were on the road.. it wasnt worth turning around to argue the 5 dollar charge. Dont walk in the yard barefoot.. I gave it a go, and walked right into a patch of grass burrs, and my barefoot expedition ended in only a few steps.. OUCH! The air conditioners on the second floor are dumping their condensation onto the walkway. Some makeshift planters serve as water catchers, but most were either completely empty or overflowing. The walkway was pretty wet, and there was standing water in several places.

Overall, the Travelodge is a great place to stay if you are on a budget and dont mind the basics. We had a great stay, without much incident. Not sure we would return.. but we certainly didnt mind it.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms have standing water along the walkway. I am sure that ends up down on the first...