“Closest to Philly outside of Philly”

Fred's Downtown Philly
Ranked #150 of 875 Restaurants in Plano
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout
Maple Shade, New Jersey
“Closest to Philly outside of Philly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2014

First, I' m from Philly and there's no Philly cheesesteaks like the ones in Philly..point blank.. but the one from Fred's definitely is the best I've had outside of the Philly area. I've met so many people that rant and rave about what they think are Philly cheesesteaks when I travel to different places around the country. I try them and I'm absolutely disgusted, thinking to myself, this is NOTHING like a Philly cheesesteak.. but here was a different experience.

I wanted to try their version, so I went in and got two steaks with whiz, no onions. I just never really got into the fried onion thing. I brought them home with two things of fries and my partner and I destroyed them, They were really good sandwiches. The best version outside of Philly that I've ever gotten. I would definitely go back. It was not a disappointment at all.

Their furniture and the set up was very Philly like and it was cool to see all the Philly stuff. It definitely brought me back to the city in my mind a little bit. The fries they could work on a little bit, though.

Visited August 2014

Frisco, TX
“Great greasy goodness on a roll”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

If you are from Philly, this is the closest you will get without going home. I am not a fan of onions, but these grease sponges really compliment the 'wich. (recently, I started asking for no onions) A couple of variations exist (e.g. mushrooms, if you like those things), so you can go all in . Fries are good, and beg for you to smother them in some house sauce. The restaurant is small (if you are a Dallas Cowboys fan, you may feel extra claustrophobic) as is the grill, so get there early.

• Visited January 2014
Plano, Texas
“Great Philly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

Ton's of sandwich choices here. Think of any way you can order a Philly steak sandwich and it's probably on the menu board. Subs are served 6" and 10" on very fresh tasting bread.

You have a wait a bit because every sandwich is made to order. The steak is always full of flavor and the portions are filling. The Fred's sauce tastes amazing.

The only 'problem' I've ever had a Fred's was when i ordered onion rings. I was expecting homemade since their sandwiches are but was disappointed to see the frozen Sysco food bag come out of the freezer.

Don't go to Fred's for the sides. Go for the awesome sandwiches!

• Visited September 2013
Dallas, Texas
“Disorganized, but Delicious”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

I have been to this place more than once and had the same experience every time, so I feel my review is accurate and fair. On my latest visit this weekend, I was met with a line that reached almost out the door. The establishment is full of Philadelphia memorabilia and photographs, but because it is so small, there are few places to sit and enjoy your meal. The positive thing is this business has outgrown this location, but the bad news is, this fact compromises the quality of the experience. Booths have been replaced with tables and chairs, yet they are inadequate. It's hard to enjoy your food when there are hoards of people hovering for you to finish so they can sit down. It takes a while for the sandwiches to be prepared, so be ready for at least a 20 minute wait. The cheesesteaks are authentic to Philly, but the prices are also authentic. Three plain sandwiches and two drinks were more than $30. This is not an experience I would recommend for a family, a couple looking for a meal out or a business lunch. Ideally, get your order to go. At least in your car you'd have air conditioning.

• Visited June 2013
Dallas, Texas
“best phili in dallas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

don't compare it to philadelphia but out of the ones i tried in dallas, this is the best.
a little pricier than fast food but worth it.
don't go by their website pictures, it is much more appetizing than it looks in pictures.

• Visited April 2013