“Seen it for 16 years, but never stopped in”

Fred's Downtown Philly
Ranked #225 of 931 Restaurants in Plano
Cuisines: Soups
Reviewed January 12, 2012

We moved to Plano in 1996 and have driven by Fred's Downtown Philly, sometimes once a day and for over 15 years, we have never stopped in for a sandwich. We gave Fred's a try last week and I am very impressed.

Having been to both Geno's and Pat's in Philadelphia (all in one visit), I would rank Fred's cheesesteak sandwich as among one of the best I have ever had. The meat was top quality and very lean. The onions were grilled and the cheese was melted perfectly. The roll that it came on was great. My wife and I both agreed to go back more often. We are looking forward to trying the rest of the menu; which is a lot more than just cheesesteaks. I'm a chicken wing junky and he has those as well.

Although I am not very comfortable with all of the Philadelphia Eagle's junk on the walls (go Cowboys!), I would still highly recommend Fred's whenever a sandwich is in order.

2  Thank PlanoJay

Reviewed August 11, 2011

Ask for extra cheese. The flavor is great! I'd eat here again anytime!

Reviewed May 20, 2010

If you want cheese steak this is the place with a couple buts....

If it's noon plan on waiting and not just a little while. If it's noon also plan on there not really being seating. The place is small with a lot of people waiting and no places to sit it stacks up fast in there. I'm going to say there are only about 10 4 people tables in the joint.

Having lived in Phili along with other NE states I can tell you this is how cheese steaks are supposed to be. I personally enjoy the cheese steak with banana peppers and mayo.

Fries are meh and so are onion rings... however I have to give a shout out for the fried jalapenos. They are small strips fried up like onion straws more or less.

Workers are friendly and will remember you.

1  Thank yellowtj06
Reviewed June 21, 2009

This is authentic , just like walking in off the street in South Philly into a good hoagie shop. It's all there. Amoroso rolls,CheeseWhiz,wit and witout,Utz chips,Tastycake and plenty of Eagles,Phillies,Flyers and Sixers stuff all over the walls. Made this Philly native feel right at home!

1  Thank phillyjesse1
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed April 30, 2009

Decent cheesesteak when in the mood. Am I spoiled on Texadelphia?

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook