“Few shortcomings, but excellent overall”

NYLO Plano at Legacy
Ranked #13 of 45 Hotels in Plano

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Spokane Valley, Washington
Reviewed August 24, 2008

HOTEL SELECTION:
Was in Dallas doing business near the Galleria area, but had heard about the NYLO hotel from a friend. Decided to stay in Plano and booked the hotel through their web site. Paid $149 for 1 night. Web site was easy to use and showcased the hotel well.

ARRIVAL:
Hotel is located in a field all by its self. From the exterior, it doesn't look like your traditional hotel. Even the signage is unique. If you were just passing through the area, you wouldn't know it was a hotel.

CHECK IN:
Once you enter the the hotel through the big red doors (kind of reminds be of going to Talbot's Department Store), you enter into a very trendy hotel lobby. Very unique lobby layout and furniture. Front desk agent was pleasant and shared with me the highlights of the hotel (i.e. free WiFi and where to find breakfast). It was late and I asked if there was dinner room service and he said no, but if I was nice, he might be able to deliver it to my room. Also asked about airline miles for my stay and was told they weren't available.

ROOM:
The rooms are unique. I'm still not sure if I like them or not. I do like that they're 'different' - i.e. warehouse feel, new, trendy, etc. But didn't like that I felt really cramped. The desk faced the wall and although it was on rollers, it was difficult to turn it far enough to work and watch TV. The TV was a nice flat screen on a wall mount that pulled away from the wall far enough to be seen from the desk around the corner. Bed was very comfortable. Unique designed actually placed the bed in front of the window, but a step up each side of the bed allowed me to get in behind the bed in order to look out and see the courtyard below.

BATHROOM:
I loved the shower and especially the 'rain soaking' shower head. However, the lighting in the bathroom was really the worse lighting I ever experienced in a hotel bathroom. Florescent lighting is not for me. Bathroom door is a sliding door you'd find in most warehouses. Bathroom was separate from the room, but isn't fully enclosed. The walls don't go all the way to the ceiling either. For a single traveler, no big deal. If there are 2+ in the room, the sounds from the bathroom could be heard in the room.

RESTAURANT:
I arrived late and just wanted to order room service. No luck. Had to go to the restaurant and place and order and then ask for it to go. I ordered french dip and it was very good. Breakfast was also good cooked to order along with a nice selection of other items.

POOL / COURTYARD / BUSINESS CENTER:
To get to the pool you have to go through the restaurant, which is a really crazy design. If I was traveling with my family, it'd be very awkward. The courtyard was well groomed, but with temperatures over 100, no one was outside. There was a huge fireplace lit at the pool. This seemed very strange. The hotel promotes itself as a 'green' friendly hotel and according to the welcome letter, they purchase renewable energy credits. But to me it seemed like a complete waste of natural resources to keep a huge outdoor fireplace lit when no one was outside and it was in the middle of a HOT Texas summer! Business center is tucked off in the back corner of the restaurant. Went there to print my boarding pass in the morning, but lights and computer were turned off. It was an Apple computer so didn't venture too far into its applications. Printed my boarding pass at the airport.

• Liked — Trendy look & feel
  • Disliked — Small rooms, terrible bathroom lighting
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Deontas
Houston, TX
Reviewed August 18, 2008

I travel to the North Dallas area quite often and thought I'd give this hotel a shot to earn my continued business. Bad idea. I called the property directly to book the reservation and was told my room would have 2 queen beds in it. I arrived at the hotel to see a front desk staffed with 5-6 people with none all that eager to help me check in. I finally got to my room and, to my surprise, saw my 2 double beds waiting for me. Down to the front desk. I as pleased when I got back down to the lobby that a manager happened to be at the front desk. I voiced my concern over being told I would have 2 queen beds when I booked my reservation. Silence. I tried re-wording what I had just said. The manager (Joe I think his name was) tried to mumble something about having no more rooms available. I again said I could not stay in the room with 2 double beds. More mumbling about "no more rooms". This was the manager!!! Needless to say, I checked out and went back to old reliable Marriott. At least I know now....still can't believe the manager was that clueless and unwilling to help...at all.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank roadwarrior610
New York, NY
Reviewed June 4, 2008

This hotel is an odd-ball, but a good choice nonetheless, particularly at the price, which manages to undercut most of the surrounding area's businessman's hotels which don't have a tenth of its aspirations.

First of all, the idea of dropping an urban hyper-styled boutique hotel in Plano is a bit audacious. And it's not like this is some hip Craftsman-and-Victorians corner of Plano, this is hardcore Texas exurbia -- in the middle of an unlandscaped parking lot hard on a six-lane artery, surrounded by an under-construction shopping plaza, an anonymous low-rise office park, and a field full of crops ready for harvest.

For all that "NY" is in the name, the template really is Westside LA, most obviously in the parking, the generously-sized rooms, and the spacious bar/restaurant/library combination which flows into a large, aggressively-furnished patio and pool area (with a fireplace by the pool). Space wouldn't be used anything like this in New York.

For a hotel with such ambitions, there were some strange absences. The entrance is a simple double door -- no port cochere, no doorman, and it is unstaffed beyond that: no valet parkers and no bell service.

The rooms (I stayed in a mini-suite) are ordinary-sized for a suburban business hotel, and, as I mentioned, large by the standards of you're-too-cool-to-hang-out-in-your-room actual urban loft-type boutiques. I'll echo the prior commenters in terms of the quality of the beds and televisions (including proper HD service on many channels and a far choice of HD on demand movies). Now worthy of special note is the fact that the free Wifi is at acceptable speeds; too many recent properties I've stayed at have offered totally insufficient speeds on their free (or even not-free) WiFi connections.

As remarked by many prior posters, the lack of a fully-enclosed bathroom is eccentric at best; and probably only works because the vast majority of guests are solo travelers on business. I suspect the first renovation of the property will seal up the bathrooms. The rest of the high-end-looking bathroom fixtures are fine, albeit very much of the moment (flat-bottomed bowl-on-counter sinks will be as to the mid-late-00s as avocado-colored fridges are to the mid-70s.)

I had an early dinner downstairs, which was fine and reasonably priced, with friendly service. Didn't push too aggressively into the menu, though. Didn't really sample the bar scene, but I can imagine that (for Plano) it's probably a decent hang-out late at night. The breakfast was a tad disappointing, but fair for the price.

I got no bar noise at all, and was only on the third floor -- maybe it was a slow night?

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank vacationer71
Dallas, TX
Reviewed June 2, 2008

I recently moved to Oklahoma from Plano and when I was looking for hotels in the Dallas area, I noticed this really cool new hotel and was surprised that it wasn't downtown. I hadn't intended to stay this far north but since we weren't planning on going downtown at night, I decided to try it out. There is no other hotel like this anywhere near the area and it was SO affordable!!! My boyfriend and I stayed on a Saturday night and LOVED the fact that we didn't have to drive 20 minutes for a little nightlife. It was perfect.
P.S.....the short-rib tacos are delicious!

• Liked — Lounge w/live DJ. No drinking & driving!
  • Disliked — entrance/lobby
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hellokitty0369
Atlanta
Reviewed April 10, 2008

I have traveled extensively for business and pleasure over the last 25 years. This hotel is perhaps in my top 5 hotels of all time for its sheer comfort and uniqueness. The ambiance is warm and comforting after a long day on the road. The extra touches like 32 inch flat panel tvs were quite nice, and the rooms was like no other I have ever stayed in. It blows away the traditional hotel room with its design and comfort. The glass shower was really nice. But probably the best feature of all was the comfortable bed with its 5 oversized pillows. Free wirelees internet was a nice feature too. What a gem this place is in the middle of Plano! I hope they expand this brand to other cities.

• Liked — unique room
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business