“Zander's House is worth exploring”
Review of Zander's House

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed March 7, 2012

I am always on the look out for new asian restaurants I haven't tried and had read good things about Zander's House and was in the area for a meeting and had the chance to eat lunch there beforehand.

As the title suggests it was worth it and look forward to returning but I will tell you why.

I got there just when it was opening, so it was just me and a the restaurant staff for a bit and its a large open room and it was a little odd feeling but not because of anything doing with the restaurant itself. It is essentially a single large room with high ceiling and an odd choice of paintings on the wall of Marilyn Monroe and James Dean, but overall it had a pleasant feeling.

I read in the menu that the family that owns the restaurant was from NYC but had lost their lease and went on a hunt in a warmer climate so the family with the older parents could relocate. This was a good sign to me, because NYC with all its options a successful restaurant tends to be worthwhile.

I did order just one thing the Sate Chicken from their lunch menu. The waiter was kind enough to point out that the original appetizer and entree was going to be a large amount of food. So I showed some restraint and went without the appetizer since I had no way to save it, and it was appreciated he offered his advice.

As is often the case when ordering a spicy hot meal in an Asian establishment I was asked how spicy. I tend to like hotter than most believe and certainly much hotter than your average American.

The waiter got some sauce and squirted a finger dab full on the played and asked me to rate its hottness which I thought was a great way to gauge someone's understanding of spice and its the first time I have ever had that done.

The food came quickly and was lively with flavor, (still could have been hotter but it was very respectful) it wasn't too thick with peanut flavor which is often the problem with many sates.

I shouldn't have eaten the whole plate, but without a fridge what was I to do? Plus it was so very yummy. Having kept the menu I planned out my next trips because I knew I would be back.

I have rated it "Very Good" because it was one visit and one meal but I wouldn't be surprised if it would fall into excellent with a few more visits.

There are newer reviews for Zander's House

Reviewed February 20, 2012

My husband had been hearing about this restaurant for some time, so when we found we had an event to attend in Plano, we went to Zander's House for dinner before to try it out. The food is excellent. We had the mango cat fish appetizer - fried catfish bits topped with a mango chili chutney-like sauce. Fabulous! The tamarind shrimp and lemongrass chicken entrees were quite good.
Very friendly and informative service by family members who are proud of their food - a nice combination. They relocated six years ago from New York City, and established the Plano location after careful research throughout the United States. The restaurant is huge, so feel free to bring a large group. We're glad we went, and will be back soon with friends. The sign on the door says it's closed on Tuesdays; this is a good Sunday lunch or dinner option as it's open that day as well as the other days of the week.

Reviewed February 1, 2012

The customer service is great, they are very friendly and willing to accomodate. The bartender only uses fresh squeezed juice when juice is called for, and makes some very innovative versions of cocktails. They have the best calamari in town!!!

Reviewed September 5, 2011

I visited here during a one time trip to Plano/Richardson, so all I can say is that you NEED to get the Salmon. I'm not sure how they do it, but it comes out with a nice charred flavor but extremely moist, too. Just do yourself a favor and get the large serving size and ditch the broccoli it comes with.

Reviewed August 4, 2011

We go to this restaurant every time I crave for good basil beef dish (on dinner menu). My husband always eat chicken curry, or ask for chicken curry soup with french baguette (this dish is not on the the menu), this is one of his favorite curry place.

It's not the cheapest place, but food quality is good. Very spacious inside of the restaurant.

Last time, we went for Monday night special (50% off the second dish), and was very satisfied with both food and price.