“Great Place to Stay for Shopping & Fun”

Magnuson Hotel Park Suites
Ranked #8 of 45 Hotels in Plano
okla
“Great Place to Stay for Shopping & Fun”
Reviewed March 20, 2009

Stayed here to be close to malls. Distance was about 10 minutes drive. Hotel was very good place to stay especially for the price. Very nice staff, great facilities, and great breakfast.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank tlocke

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
TX
Reviewed July 31, 2007

I put that in the title because I didn't like having to go out for dinner and order-in was too expensive for what was offered. There were four restaurants within a couple of blocks, though, and many more within short driving distance.

That said, nice little hotel. Large room with separate bed and sitting areas. Sofa bed, easy chair, coffee table, desk and chair in sitting area. Real closet with mirrored door. Coffee maker, microwave, fridge. (The fridge wasn't the coldest in the world, though.) Three phones--bed area, sitting area, bathroom. Ironing board, iron, hair dryer supplied.

Very clean, people were nice. Nicely decorated, classy-looking little place. Bed was *very* comfortable for a hotel bed, and linens seemed unusually nice also--higher thread count possibly....?

Wired interet in room. Supposedly wi-fi in common areas, but didn't work for me. My computer showed weak signal, but I didn't bother to move because I often can't get wifi anyway due to my firewall settings, so I can't vouch for that one way or another, really.

Breakfast and happy hour. Happy hour nothing to write home about (beer, wine, chips, cheese sauce, some days sausage rolls), but breakfast was *very* nice for a place without a restaurant. Cook-them-yourself waffles, a toaster and cream cheese for bagels., muffins, doughnuts, yoghurt, cold hard boiled eggs, several kinds of fruit, milk, juice, coffee.

Small pool and spa. I did not use them, but they looked clean and did not smell of too much chlorine.

One oddity: The AC worked great and was quiet, which I have not found to be common, but its position was such that when the privacy curtains were closed it blew straight up behind them. (Blew out into the room when only the inner curtains were closed.) Most people probably wouldn't even notice, but I like to sleep cold and turn it up at night, just when the privacy curtains are closed.....

One thing that bothered me was that there was only a chain on the door to the hall (most places have something more sturdy, although I'm aware it's not that much of a deterrent in either case) and nothing supplemental on the door between suites. It was also hard to tell if the deadbolt was set on the door between suites.

If I had this trip to do again, I'd probably look for a place with a restaurant at least, ideally a bar as well. Still, I wouldn't be willing to pay more for it, so this probably turned out to be my best value for the money, which was quite reasonable. (Their regular price wasn't, but there are all sorts of discounts, one of which I got.)

I see in an Expedia review that they allow pets. I guess that's right, as I heard a small "woof" in the hall last night!

• Liked — Price, space in room, cleanliness, breakfast
  • Disliked — No restaurant in hotel
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Reviewed June 27, 2007

My husband needed to travel to Plano for business and since we are driving distance away I decided to accompany him. We looked at more expensive hotels which seemed more in our style but went with this one because it was located close to his business area and had a kitchenette which we needed since we travelled with our 5 month old baby.

I have to tell you we were very impressed. The lobby is very clean and sparkly with white marble floors. The staff is very friendly and helpful. We booked a king room and it was very nice! The bed is great. There is a sitting area with a sleeper sofa, chair, coffee table, end table, and a table where you can put your computer to connect to the free highspeed internet. The bathroom is very clean and in great condition with a large countertop. The kitchenette has a microfridge and microwave. We were hoping for a small sink too to wash bottles but the bathroom sink worked fine.

The housekeeping staff was very friendly and were careful not to wake the baby while she was napping! Very thoughtful. The pool is small but very clean and well kept. They were servicing the jacuzzi while we were there so we couldn't use it but we didn't mind. It was nice to know that if something does need maintenence that they take care of it! The continental breakfast had more than just donuts and OJ and was planty enough so that we did not have to go out for breakfast. They also served evening snacks in the lobby,

The hotel is located just 5 minutes from the ollin Creek Mall as well as many other great shopping areas, parks, and places of interest.

The best part of all this was the price. We have stayed at places this nice before but they they were at least twice as much as the $75 a night we paid! It was very nice and if we come back to plano for anything we will definitely stay here!

• Liked — Oversized room was clean and comfy.
  • Disliked — No sink in the kitchenette.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank bufam
Missouri
Reviewed June 1, 2007

We booked via the hotel website with an AAA rate of about $75, and got more than our money's worth here. Two queen beds, plus a couch that could pull out if we'd needed it, fridge, microwave in the large room. Clean as a whistle, pleasant and cooperative front desk staff, room not in need of redecorating. The lobby area is large and pleasant, and the breakfast (yes, waffles, too) was more than adequate. The pool looked quite small, but this is a spot aimed more at business travellers, it would seem. Only complaint is guests who come down to breakfast in nightclothes without even bothering to put on a robe...

Stayed May 2007
1 Thank lemons1
Illinois
Reviewed March 21, 2007

We were meeting some friends in Texas who suggested this hotel. It had a decent rate. The first problem was that when we went to our room, it had not been cleaned. There were towels everywhere, trash and cups all over. This was about 5 PM, so this should have been cleaned by now! My husband goes down to the front desk and gets room#2. Room #2 had a moldy, mildew smell. It smelled like a basement. My husband goes down and gets a key to room #3. Again we move all of our luggage and enter room #3. No gross smells and it's clean. It's hot (summer in TX!) so I turn on the AC. It sounds like it is out of gas. It sputters and then quits. By now, I'm a little cranky. I call the front desk and ask for another room. Initially they protest saying that a maintenance person can come up later tonight. After I explain that a repair sometime later tonight is not acceptable, they give us another room. Room #4 is clean, smells ok and the AC works. WOOHOO! The best thing about this hotel is that the rooms are all suites. We had a living room. The furniture looked a little worn and the carpet worn a little but it was ok. The bed was an average hotel bed. The next day I found some odd rusty colored stains on the comforter. That kind of grossed me out. When I went to shower, I noticed that the tub had a little mold in it and it didn't drain too well. The bathroom wasn't the greatest.

• Liked — The rooms were huge and the hotel is right off of the highway.
  • Disliked — Needs a good cleaning.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SWFAN
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 20, 2005

After driving 9+ hours we were pleasantly surprised to be greeted by friendly hotel staff (around 10PM ). The clean, new rooms - were great. We had 2 queens plus a sitting area w/ a sofa. There were also fridge and microwave, coffeemaker, iron/board, etc.

The elevators were cordoned off by separate area way w/ doors to keep out noise from corridors to rooms. (great idea!)

Complimentary breakfast at 6:30 am was ready in the lobby area...with bagels, donuts, cereals, fresh fruits, yogurt, juice, milk, coffee and even a make-your-own waffle station!!

Traveling with hubby and five kids (this time only 3 kids in tow) over the years, we have had many hotel disappointments at much higher prices! The price of room was reasonable and $20-30 less than we are used to paying.

This is an excellent hotel/motel to stay in for business or pleasure.

• Stayed August 2005