“Good but let down by minor rough edges” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Staybridge Suites Plano - Richardson Area

Staybridge Suites Plano - Richardson Area
Ranked #15 of 43 Hotels in Plano
Marin County, CA
“Good but let down by minor rough edges”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

Overall very comfortable well decorated rooms that feel like a home rather than a hotel. Beds are very comfortable indeed with a nicely positioned large flat screen right adjacent. I'm giving 3 stars as there were some minor things that could just so easily have been improved upon.
- specifically asked for a room "away from the elevators" when I arrived at 9:35pm and was given a room immediately adjacent to the elevator bank. I would have complained but given there are no places to eat open after 10pm I was faced with the needless dilemma:
- move rooms taking up to 10 minutes
- eat dinner
(but not both). I chose to eat.

That said the rooms were relatively quiet and well sound proofed, apart from some pipe knock at 6am when someone took a shower.

Location wise you are in the middle of nowhere. There is a mall with the occasional restaurant that is open until 10pm. I ate at a steak and sushi place - one of the only choices - which was 2 minutes walk away and the food was good/not too expensive. (The hotel only serves breakfast, not lunch or dinner).

WiFi was free but coverage patchy depending on what part of the room you were in. In the evening it didn't work at all. Thankfully all was OK in the morning.

Breakfast was OK - buffet with scrambled eggs, bacon, Belgian Waffle maker looked good, some healthy options. Wasn't impressed by a staff member coughing without covering their mouth as they walked through the area during flu season.

Rooms have small kitchens with granite counter tops and even a dishwasher!

Room Tip: Asking for a specific room seems to land you the opposite result. E.g. I asked "away from the e...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ixsomerset
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Plano - Richardson Area, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear ixsomerset,

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Miami
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed here over New Year to visit some friends and as usual, the Staybridge Suites had a very nice room ready for us; we routinely stay at a Staybridge Suites in West Seneca, NY because this chain works for our family. This location had a really great massaging shower in the bathroom which we loved. Staff very nice and eager to help. Location is close to major highway. The only complaint we have about Staybridge Suites (and this is a chain issue, not an individual hotel issue) is that the eggs they serve for breakfast are really awful. Compared to the eggs at the Marriott hotels such as Residence Inn, Springhill Suites etc, where they have fabulous breakfast eggs, Staybridge eggs are grainy and tasteless and have a very strange texture. The rest of the breakfast items as always are fabulous - light yogurts, fresh fruit, all kinds of bagels, breads and pastries and delicious oatmeal options! Would recommend this hotel for sure.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

This hotel was the best!! It is very clean, the staff is excellent and the bed was very comfortable! The buffet breakfast was wonderful! There is free wifi and also a free computer in the lobby, basketball and indoor pool. My two kids love it!!!!

3 Thank Mjagomes
Mission, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

Excellent features like good, hot breakfast; spacious rooms, free dinners on some days. I will recommend extending the breakfast to 10 - 11 AM. My children never made it to the breakfast because it ends at 930 AM. I think it should be extended especially during this time of the year, when it is cold outside and sometimes you want to sleep in.
As soon as we walked in our 1 bedroom suite, we started sneezing. I noticed that there are some heavy curtains in the room which probably need to be cleaned as there is a lot of dust mites. The sofa needs to be cleaned too, it looks clean but if you are constantly sneezing, I am almost positive that there is a lot of dust. The bedspread needs to be washed or dry cleaned too. It smells pine scent in the hallway but underneath that smell is a wet, moldy smell. I am not sure where it is coming from. I love the pine scent especially during the holiday season but I prefer a fresh clean smell.
It takes a long time for the water in the shower to get hot. I know it is 30 degrees outside and it is expected but this was an unusually long time.

Midland, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

My Stay There Was Very Excellent.I Stayed A Total Of Four Days.The Rooms Were Very Spatious And Comfortable.The Staff There Were Extremely Helpful & Curtious.Especially Mr.Patrick Hubbard.Whenever Im In Plano Staybridge Suits Will Be The Hotel Of My Choice.Thanks For A Great Stay.

Gary Dickens,Atmos Energy

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Gary D
San Angelo, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

Our family stayed here for three nights during Thanksgiving. Our decision was based primarily on it being the only hotel in the area that still had a two bedroom suite available. Overall it's a nice hotel. Great front desk people, nice amenities, well appointed rooms, great nearby shopping and eating, etc. But we had issues with noise every night. The first night, we got a call from the front desk advising the suite below us was complaining about noise. Fair enough, our kids were probably a little crazy after the long road trip. However, that same night and for the rest of our stay, we were constantly hearing footsteps above us, as well as the sounds of furniture being dragged around and the floor creaking. We were also awoken every morning at around 7AM by the sound of the lady in the suite next to us talking on the phone. A quick knock on the wall put an end to it, but still not what you would expect while lying in bed. Just be advised that it is overall a very decent hotel, but there is absolutely no sound insulation in between suites. Guess it was to save on construction costs and keep your nightly bill low.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank texas94
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

I last wrote a review of this hotel October 26, 2010. Since then, this hotel has seen many ups and downs in management. The latest downer was when we checked in November 21, 2012 and we were asked to pay TWO pet fees for a TOTAL OF $150 for our TWO DAY STAY. We would have left our well controlled dogs in the kennel for less money if we had known beforehand. I suppose the hotel has had some bad experiences with dogs lately because I was also asked to sign a paper with rules for dogs in the hotel. [Funny, there seems to be no enforcement of the rules since we saw lots of evidence of other owners violating the rules.] Further evidence of the lack of management of this hotel: I received an email asking for my review, and after writing it, was notified I had to enter my Priority Club Rewards number for it to be accepted. If so, then why was I asked??? Screwy.

Room Tip: Beware the $75.00 per pet fee for stays of less than 5 days. If the stay is more than 5 days, the p...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Staybridge Suites Plano - Richardson Area, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear jimminycric,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. I am sorry for any confusion about the pet charge and pet policy. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Karen G.