“Service, what service?”

Ranked #402 of 905 Restaurants in Plano
Cuisines: Chinese
“Service, what service?”
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

This was our favorite Asian restaurant but the service and food quality continues to decline on each visit. Our appetizer was never delivered and our waiter couldn't be found to complain. Our drinks were never refilled, no one stopped by to see if we needed anything. Only after we had finished dinner did anyone stop by, but only to clear the table.

One entree was tasty, the other was overcooked with a portion that decreases in size each time we dine there.

This place is living on their volume and being one of the only nice Asian restaurants in the area. I won't say don't go there, but set your expectations low and you won't be disappointed.

Visited April 2013

Dallas, Texas
“Best dim sum in Dallas”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We only come here for the Dim Sum, which we have enjoyed at many restaurants in New York city, LA, Houston ... so far J&S is on top of the list. The dimsum here are fresh and bigger portion than at the other restaurants. Service was friendly, which is not common for Chinese restaurants. Some servers speak both Vietnamese and Chinese. Modern decor. Clean.

Definitely will be back.

• Visited February 2013
South
“Great stop for food”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Went here with a friend who lives in the area on his suggestion. Portions were large and food was excellent. The BBQ pork and brazed green beens were outstanding. The fried rice was shrimp was also very good. Very fast and friendly service. You can bring in your own beer as they do not serve it here.

Visited January 2013
Lewisville, Texas
“Best Dim Sum I Have Had In Texas”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My family has eaten dim sum for years, in multiple cities. We have tried a few other places in Temple, Austin and the Dallas area. This place, far and away, has the best dim sum we have had in Texas. A decent variety of items, all served at the correct temperature by attentive servers. It was certainly bustling when we were there on a Sunday afternoon.

If you are looking for very good dim sum in the Dallas area, this restaurant should be one of your choices. My only minor criticism is that there seemed to be a slightly limited variety of items available. I'm not sure this a consistent problem or because we dined at the end of the typical morning to early afternoon dim sum serving period.

• Visited January 2013
sanbao184
“dallas dim sum and more”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

After living in Asia, then Atlanta, I have got used to pretty good Asian food. Other than one noodle shop in Garland, most what I've tried in the Dallas area has ranged from the typical hybrid Asian fare infused with msg and god knows what else, to food that was hard to recognize as Asian, or even food in some cases. I had dumplings at one over priced joint that must have been made of library paste. I don't know what else it could have been.

Finding J.S. Chen's was a stroke of luck. A Thai acquaintance heard my grumbling about the sorry dim sum I have eaten in the Dallas area and told me to give J.S Chen's a try. My lucky day. The steamed dumplings were as good as any I had in China, except maybe those prepared by a ninety plus year old grandma in rural Jiangxi province. The rice stuffed Dungeness crab was perfectly cooked and enough to feed two at least. And the dim sum was as good as any I have had in the U.S. I was not wild about the filling in the sweet cream filled buns, but everything else was superb.

They do not serve booze, but you can brown bag beer from the Asian grocery next door or bring you own wine if you want.

Glad to find this place. A little expensive compared to my favorite noodle shop but worth the extra to get food this good.

• Visited July 2012