“Not a good mix of cinema and dining”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Studio Movie Grill

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Studio Movie Grill
Ranked #660 of 875 Restaurants in Plano
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Lewisville, Texas
“Not a good mix of cinema and dining”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

This theater is a clone of places like Alamo Drafthouse and others, but is not designed as well. The menu is comprehensive and the limited items we ordered (popcorn and ice cream) were average - and they give free refills on soft drinks and water. It is the seating that is the problem.

Like all movie theaters, the seating area is sloped; in this case it is tiered. On each tier, you have a choice of sitting in the front of the tier at a counter in a somewhat comfortable desk chair. Or, you can sit at the back of the tier in deeper seats (like a small curved sofa) with a small table in front of you. At either location, there is a red call button to summon the server.

If sit at the counter, you have zero leg room in front, as there is a barrier at the front end of the counter, to keep you from kicking the people sitting on the sofas in tier below and in front of you. The chairs are also quite closely spaced. Of course you can push back your chair to gain some leg room, but then you aren't near the counter to eat.

If you sit at the "sofas", you are on the same level as the counter people in front of you (by perhaps 4 feet) on the tier, and they can block your view of the movie. Moreover, the servers are going to walk in front of you to deliver food. But at least you have leg room.

In essence, the setup didn't work for my wife and me, and I doubt we will be back. In this case, the fusion of a movie theater and a restaurant didn't work and was less than the sum of its parts.

• Visited February 2013

Bangalore
“Good experience to be in a movie theatre and beer served like your in a restaurant, but your better off keeping the two separate”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Movie experience - decent
Seating - at the bar, no leg room. At the table, heads blocking your view...tough decision on whats better
Food - stale but edible. Dont ever order cocktails
Service - decent, but painful having them walk around strong the movie

1 Thank Nick_Guptil
Dallas, Texas
“Didn't even get in the theater...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

When we got there they had changed the time of the show to an earlier time. We checked THEIR site. They basically said any other site was unreliable. Hmmmm, sounds like their site is also. I and other patrons in the same situation just decided to leave. They pretty much gave the impression that it was our fault that they changed the time. Management showed little to no remorse. Not good for my first ever visit to SMG. Oh well, there are other locations. Hope to have better luck with those. I will be sure to call and get name and SS# of who gives me the time...lol.

• Visited October 2012
Dallas, Texas
“Don't get "build your own"”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

My friend and I got " build ur own" with ribs and quesadelias. Why did we get 2 big bowls of ranch dressing in our platter. It should have been BBQ sauce or salsa not ranch dressing. Ugh. We are not getting that again. A waste of money! Going back to my favorite meal.

Otherwise, movie was ok. But not SMG's fault.

Houston, Texas
“New theatre experience, average outcome”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

I liked the whole concept of the theatre. I didn't know something like this existed. I liked the atmosphere and the overall layout.

The pizza I had wasn't that great, but I was there to watch a movie. Everything else was average. Great to experience, but I'll just be going the theatre down the street.

• Visited August 2012