“Short stay, long on comfort”

Holiday Inn Express Dallas North Tollway (N Plano)
Ranked #29 of 46 Hotels in Plano
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We arrived late in the evening and left early so we didn't get to try the breakfast. The check in was quick, the clerk was friendly and the room was very clean and comfortable. We would definitely stay again.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 7, 2012

The decor was pretty cool. Definitely something different than a standard hotel. We stayed 2 nights and housekeeping never left any towels for us. The breakfast in the morning was the worst. It was over at 10, but expect everything to be gone around 9:30.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dallas North Tollway (N Plano), responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear Janie T,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am pleased that you liked our hotel decor. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class customer service and it is my regret that we fail to deliver an exemplary performance in this context. I'm sorry to see you received service that was less than satisfactory. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Lera M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed September 22, 2012

Pretty nice hotel,very clean. Extremely friendly staff. The decor of the hotel is a strange combination of art dec and 1920s movie studio. And while decor is not one of my strengths, it was indeed noticeable. Breakfast was standard for HIEx and the coffee was a bit substandard, but I do tend to be picky about coffee. If you must be in Plano, this is a good plce to stay.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3101_HIEPlano, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dallas North Tollway (N Plano), responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

Hello
I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave comments about my hotel. We do have an eclectic décor that does get your attention and is not your standard Holiday Inn Express. As a coffee snob myself I get what you are saying and have followed up with my coffee provider about how we are brewing. Hopefully you will notice a difference on you next stay.
Your time is appreciated
CDennis
gm@hiplano.com

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights while my husband was in Plano for work. The hotel is very quite and comfy. The rooms are spacious and decor is very tasteful. The room has a large desk, sitting chair with lamp, the king bed had 2 reading lights as wells as lamps on both side tables. The TV was awesome and there was planty of drawer and bathroom storage space. Very comfortable for 2 people. The service was very nice and not bothersome.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 15, 2012

My boyfriend and I had been on the road for four nights, I hadn't gotten sleep in five (stressing about packing up our apartment and driving across country). This hotel was so comfy and quiet, I got my first full night's sleep of the trip.

I'd stayed at a Holiday Inn Express before, but it was nothing compared to this particular location. It was so fancy and new. The lobby is done in this simultaneously retro and modern design that is so awesome. They had the craziest lamps I've ever seen on the hallway walls. The dining room/meeting room was really lovely and well kept. Our room was very spacious and pristine, though they have this funny obsession with reading lamps. They were coming out of the headboard, even out of some of the lamps. It was a great amenity, especially if you have a family (my family always keeps me up with their lights when we're sharing a hotel room) but it was kind of funny... I wanted to ask the lamp "... is that a reading light, or are you just happy to see me?"

Breakfast was good, the same as you get at any Holiday Inn Express. Good variety, not all starch. We got down half an hour before the end of breakfast and grabbed the last two cinnamon rolls, then they turned off the warmer. I don't know... is half an hour too early to put out a new tray of rolls? Maybe. We were just glad that we'd gotten some.

I visited the little store they have to search for toothpaste. We'd accidentally left our toothpaste and tooth brushes in our old apartment in Boston, and finally got some toothpaste in Nashville (Our 3rd night! We were using Scope, but still...) but then we left it in New Orleans!! I was desperate for toothpaste, but I didn't see any. But the magical woman at the desk GAVE ME SOME for FREE and I almost kissed her. But I didn't. Because I hadn't brushed my teeth in what seemed like forever. She was an angel from abooooooooooooove!!! SHE WAS THE TOOTH FAIRY.

You could tell this was a place for businessmen. It was blissfully quiet at night, and very sleek and clean. I felt really nice when I left. For the price, it was a steal in quality and comfort, and all the workers we met were friendly and helpful. If you have complaints here, you haven't experienced the surprises of other hotels on the road. A big thumb's up from me, and a beautiful clean smile as well.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2012

My rating on this one is 3.8, by far the best in my series of reviews on Holiday Inn Express.

It just happened that I visited three HIE hotels recently (this one I did not stay but I hosted an international meeting for about 25-35 participants there and I did check on its rooms and facilities. The room quality is consistent with similar amenity (I think the tooth brushes are not in the room but you can get it from the front desk, if you forget to pack it.), deco (basic, not fancy ones), this one with a refrigerator, but the room size are bigger than the previous two I reviewed in China (In Texas, everything is BIG!).

When I disclosed that we will have our June meeting in Holiday Inn Express in Plano, I got teased a lot by those veterans, who are used to have meetings in four-to-five star hotels. "Man! HIE? Not even a Holiday Inn?" However, I had a relative small group of people from all over the world coming to Texas, and I wanted to provide them a good meeting experience without costing an arm and a leg. I looked around and found hosting a meeting in a four-star or five-star hotels actually cost a lot. Typical charges including meeting room usage (can sometimes be waived if you have booked a big room-block guaranteed), charges for projector and screen use, coffee and cookies (for coffee breaks), audio systems (if used), and maybe service charges can add up to your overall cost quickly. This may not be a problem if you have corporate sponsorship. For us, the model is shared cost and I found these charges will add to the complexity on the travel expenses of the meeting attendees.

The Management in HIE in Plano help me solve the problems. The hotel offered us a good block rate and agreed to waive meeting room setup charges if the room nights requirement are filled. They can do coffee breaks and are flexible in arrangements. The front desk people and the Management are always available in case any problems occurred. We supplied projectors and the hotel can offer screens. Two individual meeting rooms each can host seating comfortably for about 25 people in "open-U" setting and more if we use "classroom" setting. There is also a Ballroom (yes, a Ballroom in HIE, which is a first to me) can accommodate about 200 people and can be divided into two 100 people rooms.

The best part, to me, is that the Management and the support from the staff. Their efforts did help our meeting ran well.

We did experience some difficulty on Internet, but the Management indicated that they are upgrading their systems that week and promised it would get better. They also get their local contractors to work with us to improve the condition after we reported problems. Maybe some viewers can help check it out. To be fair, I have to say our group, although not big, does hog the Internet with all the gears we used, and the Management team of the hotel may have not dealt such a big group of "geeks" before.

Hot breakfast, even with pancakes, is included. The breakfast area is nice and clean and make the foyer area looks nice. Now I think about it, it is better than a "typical HIE" feeling.

The hotel is located by the US 75 but you need to turn into a side street before you can access to it. Plenty of parking. There are also a dinner, a cafeteria, and a Chinese buffet near by. Although there are many nice restaurants in Plano area, it is recommended that you have a car, as walking in the 100 degrees weather as we had in June can be brutal. Moreover, it may not be dangerous to walk due to the traffic condition. Hotel staff can help you arrange taxis if you don't intend to drive.

After the week-long meeting, other than the complaints about Internet, I think most of the participants are happy with the value they received. Indeed, I'd never consider hosting an international meeting in HIE, if I had not stopped by and checked it out myself.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with family members for one night while a loved one had surgery at a nearby medical center. Several things made this hotel stand out. First we where given a decent rate because we where there visiting the nearby hospital. Second the hotel had an elevator which made transporting our bulky and heavy stuff to the second floor a breaze. Third the decore has been recently updated and the place looked nice, as did my room. Fourth, the business center had working computers and a printer stocked with paper which made last minute items easy to print out. The internet worked well there too. Last, good cable TV. Yes I like to watch TV and had many channels to choose from. Two thumbs up for this place, I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Any room works well at this place.