“Spacious Rooms, Professional Service - GREAT HOTEL”

Holiday Inn Express Dallas North Tollway (N Plano)
Ranked #29 of 46 Hotels in Plano
Reviewed July 25, 2012

My room was large with a great view, the bed was comfortable. Room very clean. Front desk staff EXCEPTIONAL and very helpful. This is an excellent hotel for the money and I will return to it any time I need a hotel in Plano, Texas. Highly recommend this one!!!

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with this hotel!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed July 22, 2012

Realizing that the typical hotel operator is in a constant battle, attempting to maintain their building, while dealing with short

term renters, who often have little (if any) respect for the property of others, I find it best to go in with relatively low

expectations, as to the quality of the stay. In this case, I think my approach was the right one.

While I didn't have a bad experience per se, there were a number of little things, discovered pretty much daily, which detracted

from the overall stay.
And, I'm not picky...

It started the first morning of my stay (Sunday). Climbing into the shower, I discovered that the screws which hold the faceplate

behind the shower control to the wall, were not screwed all of the way in. In fact, they were protruding so far that it made

truning the shower on somewhat of a challenge. While I was able to tighten them somewhat with my bare hands (left my tools at

home), I was stunned that the housekeeping wouldn't have said something to their maintenance people. How are they cleaning the

tub? So, if you're staying in Room 323, you might want to bring a phillips head screw driver.

After showering, I attempted to shave and found that I couldn't get hot water in the sink. Didn't seem to matter how long it ran.

Had I not had a meeting that morning, I might have called the front desk, but I didn't have the time to deal with it. So, I opted

to dry shave and continued to get ready. I discovered on Monday morning (when I tried shaving again), that someone had turned

down the hot water to the sink. Problem solved, without tools.

Sunday afternoon I decided to check out the hotel pool, and found it covered in leaves. Given the number of them at the bottom,

I'm guessing they had been there a while. Inquiring at the front desk, I was told that the pool guy didn't come on the weekends,

but would be there on Monday. During my entire stay, I never saw the pool leaf free. Given the few trees on the property and their

distance to the pool, they had to be trying real hard to get in. While the leaves themselves don't bother me, it gives the

appearance that pool may not be getting maintained in other ways, either.

On Monday, after going for a short run, I discovered that the ice machine on the 3rd floor didn't work. Inquiring at the front

desk, I was told that it had died about a week ago and that a replacement had been ordered, but that it wouldn't be here for

another couple of weeks. Two days later, someone posted an out of order sign. Wonder what took so long...

On Tuesday, just as I was getting up, I heard a strange noise at the door. Flipping on the light, I discovered a cricket behind a

flap in the carpet in the corner. After silencing the critter, I was greeted by another one hanging out in the closet. One is a

nuisance. More than one indicates a possible problem. I took care of the first one and left the second one behind for the cleaning lady.

On Wednesday, I discovered a couple of loose tiles in the floor of the elevator. Not a big deal, but probably not good for any seniors riding in the elevator.

On Friday, I had a little run in with the cleaning staff. Since my business ended early on Friday (around noon), I went back to the hotel, only to find that the cleaning lady hadn't arrived yet. So, I went out to grab a bite for lunch and killed some time at the local mall. When I got back to my room at 2:30, the room still hadn't been cleaned. Unfortunately, I had work that I needed to get done and camped out in the room. Sure enough, around 3PM, the cleaning lady came by. Most hotels that I've been in have the cleaning crews going pretty early. Not sure why that day was so different, but needless to say, I declined the cleaning.

Lastly, the Wi-Fi connection for this hotel is painful. Not sure who configured it, but doing a little testing with ping and tracert would suggest that who set up their connection to Time Warner has the first hop going to Pluto before it hits the rest of the web. Doing tracerts to well known addresses resulted in ridiculous first hop times, followed by much more reasonable times, once you got passed the Time Warner routers. So, while it does work, it is slow...

Now, with all of that said, there were some bright spots. Everyone that I talked to was very pleasant. Although I found the AC to be rather noisy and cumbersome to control, the room was generally clean and didn't smell (yeah!). The complimentary breakfast, while not the best I've ever had, was good. And, there was always apples in the entryway, and fresh cookies in the afternoons.

While I've stayed in worse places, this one could have been much better.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 19, 2012

The decore is a little odd for a HI express. Seemed almost like a NYLO. The hotel is modern and clean. My score is mainly from two items.
AC units are loud and the internet might as well be dial up. I complained about the internet and was told it was probably because of all the people on it. Never had that happen at any other hotel as bad as this. As a business traveler I depend on the internet. I went to a Starbucks to get on line after two nights.

Room Tip: higher floor rooms might be better
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Dallas North Tollway (N Plano), responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

Dear PhoenisSunDog,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I am pleased you found our hotel modern and tidy. We are always happy to provide a consistently clean, comfortable and courteous place for our guests. I am sorry for the inconvenience caused by our air conditioning units and slow internet service. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior, please accept my apologies that we failed to meet your business needs. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Lera M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed June 28, 2012

General manager Christopher Dennis made sure that my stay was pleasant. He went above and beyond.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed April 23, 2012

This hotel was absolutely perfect for me. Good location, good breakfast and a very pleasant staff. Only complaint is Wifi was slow - but this is typical in most all hotels I stay at.

If you're going to the area I would recommend this location to anybody.

Breakfast area was nice and open all day for guests. It was close enough to walk to supermarket and some restaurants.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank cook7166
Reviewed April 19, 2012

I Love the new look they have, however, in our room you can see the areas on the wall where they patched the holes. It looks a bit tacky. But other than that the room is nice. The beds were comfortable. However, I wish they had "bigger" rooms for people traveling with children. This is just not the Holiday Inn but other hotels as well. Speaking of children we did get one complaint about our 1 and 3 year old crying. I noticed that the guest are mostly business professionals.

The buffet breakfast was just Eh!..average. Our oldest son enjoyed it while the rest of us skipped it and just grabbed breakfast else where.

Room Tip: If your traveling with children I would say find something that tailors more towards "Families...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 19, 2012

The staff here was very delightful and was constantly attending to our needs. The hallways are beautiful, along with the rooms! the tv was nice and the breakfast selection was very nice to! It was awesome that the staff was around 24/7 to attend to guests needs! the beds are very comfortable and the room was very clean. the sheets were also very soft and the ac was perfect.

Room Tip: Away from hotels and pool. Also, not on the first floor
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business