“Pretty run down, but with nice staff”

Extended Stay America - Dallas - Plano
Kirkland, Washington
“Pretty run down, but with nice staff”
Reviewed December 15, 2011

Looks OK on the outside, but rooms are very run down (especially compared to coming out of a great ES in Atlanta earlier the same day).
Staff was very friendly and try to do their very best, but the physical facilities are just to run down to give you a good "like to stay here" feeling.

My room was also bordering on dirty, with sticky jam residue (or...?) on the table in the room.
For working, this place does not function as well, as the one I checked out of the same morning.

Fitness Center looked to be pretty good, but never tried it.

Steakhouse across the parking lot. Never tried, but they seemed to be doing pretty good, so there is a place to eat/drink within very close proximity.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed November 18, 2011

I travelled for my meetings and found this comfortable business stay. Since other team members from our office were also staying so I had a good company.

I suggest getting up early and taking 7 am shuttle works better than the 8 am. Breakfast needs improvement with more fruits could be offered.

Overall good place for a business travel.

SK

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Sanjeev455
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed September 26, 2011

I got a great deal on this hotel bidding online, so I really can't complain. I slept and ate and paid about a quarter of what it would have cost to stay in the hotel where the convention I was attending was being held. I'm not too picky about hotels but I'm fairly observant. I had a comfortable stay beset with several minor annoyances, the cumulative effect of which was a somewhat negative overall impression. Perhaps this will help you.

I knew going in this was no first class hotel, but some things were worse than I'd expected for this kind of hotel.
- Check-in was delayed by the need to contact a manager to assign me a room. The manager never arrived and I was given the room closest to the elevator.
- The first keycard I was given didn't work.
- The fitted sheet on the bed appears to have been a full-size sheet stretched onto a queen-size bed, or at least that's my best guess. It popped off the corner as soon as I lay down and reached only about halfway down the mattress despite all my tugging.
- The power button on the TV remote did not work so I had to--GASP!--stand up to do this. Hotels are not supposed to interfere with my laziness.
- The TV was in a weird place in the suite, directly facing the half wall between the bed and the chair. The effect of this was that you could not sit in the chair or on the bed and watch TV without having to angle yourself to one side. Again, a minor, but noticeable, annoyance.
- The curtains were not sufficient to block out the parking lot light aimed directly at my room, so there was plenty of light leakage. Not a big deal for me, but potentially annoying.
- The hot water in the shower was a depressing trickle. The water pressure was so low that the streams of water coming from the shower head sagged rather than shooting out straight. When I turned the temperature down to cold, however, the pressure was fine. Turns out showering in the morning is pretty popular -- go figure!
- The continental breakfast was positively dismal. I wasn't really sure I would be getting anything at all because of what my reservation said, so I truly was grateful for the Fruit Loops and tasteless blueberry bagel I had. There were four kinds of cereal, some plain oatmeal, bread, and bagels. Coffee and tea were available but not worthy of note. The breakfast area was messy and disorganized. Cubbyholes under the service area were even worse. One of these contained additional bowls and, inexplicably, a jalapeño pepper. What?

Okay, enough griping. The room was attractive and spacious. It even smelled inviting (covering something . . . ?). The furnishings were basic but clean. The air conditioner had a digital thermostat, which I always appreciate, and it did a fine job keeping the room cool. I only stayed here one night, but I think it would have been just fine for a lengthier stay. They only service the rooms weekly, but I wouldn't be bothered by that.

One important detail: My GPS misdirected me rather badly. It led me to a spot about a half mile north of the hotel. Normally this would not be problematic, but the North Dallas Parkway is rather inconvenient for back-tracking on. Make sure you are south of Parker Road and on the east side of the Parkway. You have to come at it from the south. It's right after Roy's restaurant, but the sign is easy to miss at 45mph. Good luck! Google's directions are correct, so trust them if your GPS differs.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank KeepItCheap
Reviewed April 28, 2011

Very nice staff, very clean rooms! I enjoyed my stay very much!

• Stayed April 2011
Reviewed January 20, 2011

I have stayed in over 100 hotels from fancy to fleabag and this one is the all time worst I have ever had the displeasure to come across. From the surly and inattentive staff to the filthy and unkempt room to the dilapidated property and antiquated utilities (no hot water for the better part of a day and television so old you just about had to crank it to get it working). Upon reading my less than stellar review the general manager did offer me a free night's accomodation but you know what...I would rather sleep in the backseat of a trash filled abandoned Volkswagon Beetle. I guarantee it would be way more clean and comfortable and I would not be subjected to mean and unhappy employees.

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank Hglewis71

Travelers are raving about these Plano hotels

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed August 26, 2010

I stayed at this place for two weeks in July. I shall never stay there again. I found hairs on the sheets after initial check in- I mean all kinds of hairs. Then I found out that the are not only the sheets, the blanket has even more hairs too, which I found out after one night of stay and some itching and scratching. The pillow also had a weird smell. No wonder they wanted to charge my credit card for entire stay upon arrival/ while I was checking in- their policy is to charge one week in advance. So I got stuck there. Do yourself a favor and pay the extra dollars and avoid this place. The only elevator there was broken for five days- yes- 5 consecutive Days during my stay. The stairs stinks too as there are open trash bins everywhere. The mattress in my room was so soft that I have to sleep on my sides. There are other questionable long term residence there too. The place sometime resembles a low cost geriatrics residential home. There is like only one spoon and fork as far as cooking utensils go. I am okay with not being able to get fresh towels and sheets everyday. Just keep this place clean and get new mattresses!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank johns033
Plano, Texas
Reviewed May 28, 2010

This hotel offers an array of amenties for the person that needs accomadations for an extended period. They offer cooking facilities, refrigerator (full size), laundry, exercise room, swimming pool. The staff is friendly and attentive. The overall is exceptional.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business