“Quality fish dishes”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Some reviews have not been gracious, but our experience was excellent, and we are qualified seafood experts. Our Red Snapper with Crabmeat topping was outstanding, as it has always been in the past. The service was really good. If you want a loud restaurant, this one is not for you. Vincent's offers a quiet place for an outstanding meal!

1  Thank phyllis t

Reviewed February 20, 2012

We ate at this restaurant last Saturday night and no one in our party of 6 enjoyed their meal.

The food was NOT worth the price.

I ordered the shrimp creole for $23 and it consisted of 6-8 shrimp on a TINY bed of white rice with some mild tomato sauce and stewed peppers. I added some Tobasco, which helped, but this wasn't very satisfying.

Another in our party ordered the red fish in lemon butter sauce and it was overcooked.

Another ordered the fried catfish and he said he'd never order it again.

A lady in our group ordered the blackened chicken breast and it was tough and dry.

The trout was ordered by another and it was also unimpressive.

The overall presentation was sorely lacking. The chicken breast, for example, was served with nothing else on a large white plate. No effort to make the food appealing.

The house salad was wilty and uninspired. The coleslaw was drowned in garlic and not recommended.

Our waitress never smiled and was abrupt and short with several in our group.

NEVER AGAIN!

1  Thank LaurenTraveler
Reviewed November 29, 2011

According to the website, Vincent's opened in 1898 in downtown Dallas. Now, I'm not quite old enough to know about that, but I have frequented the restaurant since I moved to the area in the 1980s. Development gradually pushed it northward to its current location is a tucked off corner of a strip shopping center at Preston and Park in Plano, It can be a little hard to find. It was fairly empty on our Sunday night visit, but the Sunday service had only been recently added.

The interior reminds me of its roots - exposed brick, dark wood, linen table cloths, and soft lighting. It hasn't changed much over the years, but it feels more traditional than dated.

The menu is also classic and straightforward - no nouvelle or fusion cuisine here - focusing mainly on seafood. There are some "inland" chicken, veal, and beef entrees as well, which I've never tried as I head straight for the fish section of the menu.

We're skipping appetizers tonight, but we've sampled several in the past and they have all been fresh, well prepared, and reasonably sized and priced . Instead, we opt for the complimentary dolmas, served upon request, a labor of meaty, garlicky love passed along for generations.

Now for the entrees which are generously sized (not gigantic) and reasonably valued from about $15 - $30. I'm a Gulf coast transplant, and Vincent's was one of the 1st restaurants in the area that I found to serve fresh redfish, snapper, and flounder in addition to more traditional shrimp, oysters, and other fish.

Diners choose how they want the fish cooked - broiled, grilled, blackened, poached. The entree is accompanied by the choice of salad or coleslaw (a garlicky mound that you either love - me - or don't), and several sides, such as a baked potato, pilaf, or veggies, Everything is almost always perfectly and properly cooked.

Service is always great and the staff works with the customers. I'm not sure if there is an "official" kids menu, but they will create one.

I get asked by visitors for restaurants that reflect the history of "Dallas" This Dallas classic that doesn't always get the attention it deserves.

3  Thank s2mc