“Eh, good and bad”

Ranked #7 of 45 Hotels in Plano
New York
“Eh, good and bad”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

I was travelling with two other work associates. In fairness I first have to say that generally I really like Hyatt Place hotels. They are all VERY similar across the country, have nice spacious rooms, and are overall above average to me. Unfortunately, this particular hotel was not. In fairness, I do have to say that my two work associates did not have all of the same issues i had. I just read another review where someone said the water in the shower never got more than luke warm. I had the same experience, which is not something I like. Although about 10 minutes into the shower, the water suddenly became scolding hot. That was a thrill. Also, my room was very warm. I turned the thermostat down to 60 degrees and it was still warm. The french toast at breakfast was pretty gross, I actually didn't know french toast could be that bad. I didn't rank it lower and while my co-workers agreed with my assessment on the french toast, neither of them had the same issues with their rooms. The Hyatt is a very nice hotel, and the rooms are very spacious, so despite the issues I'd have to rank it an average all considered. There are definitely better hotels in this area without these issues though.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank LoveVacationGuy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Korean first
Mission Viejo, California
Reviewed January 4, 2014

On the positive side the rooms are a nice size and the location was great. The negative side. The people at the front desk also have to tend to the kitchen needs for example refill the coffee pots, clean the tables and help the people sitting at the mini bar. The room was cleaned but not very well. Wrappers and empty coffee cups were not removed the next morning. The pull out sofa had dirty sheets and we had to call for new ones as well as make the bed! Would I stay here again ---NO WAY. As a Hyatt gold passport member I would advise you to pick another place as this one needs better management and updating. The furniture is a bit worn and beat up. I have stayed here before and that is why I returned. However after this -forget it!

Room Tip: Pick a room away from the tollway
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank msilverbeemer
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Arrived at midnight. Front doors open. Lights on. Literally no one home. Not what you want at midnight. Nice lady finally (7 min later) appears apologizing saying she couldn't hear us from the kitchen (!?). The night clerk is the cook. I have heard of cost-saving measures before, but this is new.

Got upstairs. Wrong room #. Back to desk. She fixed it. Off by one room.

No such staffing problem in the AM. MANY people around, only one of whom seemed to be doing anything and he was doing everything. Nice kid. Helped with our conference room, got my coffee after the free (and serviceable) breakfast buffet closed. Checked me out.

Rooms were fine. Decent noise insulation. Bathroom is tight, but the expanse of living area makes up for the almost 14" between tub and toilet. Water was hot.

One treadmill in the "gym" was down for maintenance and the other one should have been> Elliptical worked, though. Conference room tables were flimsy and the projector wiring was actually reversed (which was easily rectified, but puzzling).

In all, not a flimsy base, but some odd shortcuts and missing pieces.

Room Tip: Go high and away from highway.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank bobo7367
Houston
Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

Where do I start? We travel quite a bit and decided that we will stay in Hyatt Hotels this year. We have stayed in about 6 different Hyatt hotels and most have been great, especially the Hyatt Place Austin Downtown and Hyatt Lost Pines.

This has by far been the worst. Few things:

1) We checked in late, about 12:30am, and had to wait 15 mins for someone to greet us and check us in. Not sure where the receptionist was.

2) No lotion in the the room. Called the receptionist, no one picked up. Went to the lobby and waited another 15 MINS, and she never showed up.

3) Got to bed around 1am and the A/C was very loud. Did not fall asleep until 2am after turning the A/C off. Then of course the room was hot and could not sleep either...

4) Was taking a shower in the morning and the water never got hot. Only luke warm.

5) Had a do not disturb sign on the door, and still had a housekeeper knock on the door.

Very disappointed. I used hard earned points for a less than mediocre stay. This hotel has changed my view of Hyatt.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank KRIS P
Reviewed December 4, 2013

My husband and I are staying here at hyatt place. The rooms are spacious. Has a separate are with a sofa bed , desk with chair, small kitchenette and plasma TV.
They offer free continental breakfast, very good. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The hotel offer a free shuttle service to shopping and nearby.
Definitely I will stay again if visit plano.

Room Tip: We stayed at room 610.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Nrsantiago
Sugar Land, Texas
Reviewed December 1, 2013

My wife, son & daughter-in-law stayed here over the Thanksgiving weekend. Location was critical and the hotel was convenient to where we would be spending a considerable amount of time during the holiday. There's easy freeway (Dallas North Tollway) access and adjacent shopping, etc. The hotel appears to be fairly new. With a fairly new hotel comes free wi-fi and a lot of electrical outlets in each guest room -- important in today's gadget age. During non-peak hours, the lobby was an adequate place to enjoy a cup of coffee and schmooze. However, after that? Well, there was a few problems. The guest room beds are very uncomfortable and the temperature control in the room is next to impossible. The bathrooms (shower and toilet area) are ridiculously small. The exercise room was poor - very small with one of two treadmills not working when the hotel was packed. The breakfast and breakfast area was inadequate to accommodate the amount of guests staying at the hotel. Housekeeping was poor -- never replacing new amenities of soap, shampoo, etc. -- it's a good thing I always bring extras. Front desk staff did a lot of talking about personal matters when guests were standing there to check in or ask questions. Parking was inadequate. Will only stay here again if problems are fixed.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family