“Beware of Value Place in Pharr TX”

Value Place McAllen Pharr
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We made a reservation for a No Smoking room a week ahead of time at Value Place in Pharr, TX. When we arrived they did not have our room ready and informed us that we would be on the Smoking floor. After a stressful time arguing with the girl we finally got a No Smoking room. I noticed on my bill that there were two $9.95 charges for cleaning the room. They clean the room every two weeks on Wednesday. We checked in late Tuesday afternoon so I said we will not be in the room 24 hours yet and do not need the room cleaned the next day and also we are scheduled to check out Tuesday the day before the next Wednesday cleaning so why charge me cleaning charges when I will not even be in the room. We noticed after a few days that our refrigerator was not cooling properly. Went to the desk to inform them of this and were told it would be fixed. Three days later the refrigerator was still not fixed and all our food was spoiled by that time. Manager Dave's remark to us, when we inquired about replacing our food was "We are giving you such a good deal on the room price that we can not do that." In the two weeks that we were at Value Place we were awakened one night in the middle of the night with the fire alarms going off and a few days later we once again experienced the fire alarm thrill. A very scary experience. After we checked out of our room which we left in excellent condition I inquired about our $100 deposit. I was informed that Manager Dave had kept $42 of my deposit as there was a stain on the bed sheet. I contacted Value Place to dispute this charge and I received an email from Manger Dave offering me his sincere apology and no mention about returning the rest of my deposit. I contacted the Better Business Bureau of Texas and registered a complaint about Value Place but also got nowhere. Finally I went to my credit card company and registered a complaint about Value Place and the credit card company credited my credit card the $42 that was unjustly held by Value Place. Please be very careful about considering Value Place in Pharr Texas, check your bill very carefully for overcharges, and good luck with having your $100 security deposit returned to you. The McAllen area was very nice and outside of our motel experience we enjoyed our vacationing there. We will return again in the future but know we will not be considering Value Place in Pharr Texas for our stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Carol F
Albert S, Manager at Value Place McAllen Pharr, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Thank you for taking time to tell us about your experiences at our property. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Value Place, we strive to ensure each and every guest experience is satisfying. Please know that we are taking your feedback to heart, and we are taking the appropriate measures to address the issue promptly.

Albert Silva
Area Manager

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Had a reservation for a NS single for a week. arrived and they had me assigned to a 2-bed Smoking room with no linens. Asked why they didn't let me know in advance before I got there and said sorry- No Room, No Apologies, No-make good attempt, No-alternatives offered - nothing. Never staying here ever and certainly wont recommend to anyone.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank FrustratedSEP2013
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I stayed here for 4 weeks almost and I enjoyed it, I stayed to myself and didn't have any issues! Only complaint is they don't honor the prices on the sign outdoors, or they'll say theres no rooms when clearly it is! other than that I'd stay here over and over again!

Room Tip: Be sure to quote the price on the sign or they'll charge you full price!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Queen T
Reviewed April 28, 2012

I live elsewhere but work in McAllen for 6-7 months in a year. Sure, Value Place buildings are nothing to write about. Room floors, for example, are not sound-proofed and the noise can be very aggravating if you stay on the lower floors. Nevertheless, I find Value Place to be a cheap and temporary place to stay. The problem is getting the staff at this particular Value Place to fix broken fixtures on time. The lady manager is a nice and friendly person, but either she doesn't have the district management's support or she is not a good manager herself. Her staff are often very rude and unprofessional--it is like they are doing you a favor. SImply stated, this Value Place is mismanaged.

Room Tip: Unless you can get a room on the fourth floor, be prepared for noise from heavy walkers in the room...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank omoolumo5
Reviewed April 5, 2012

I made a seven day reservation 6 months ahead of time and 36 hours before we left home to go on our trip they called and told us they would not have a room for us when we arrived. Obviously they had decided someone else was more important and just dumped us. No apologies, no attempt to help to make alternate arrnagements, no compensation, nothing. The worst hotel situation I have ever encountered and we travel a lot.

Room Tip: Never make a reservation here.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank TNtraveler10_10
Heather L, Value Place Property Management at Value Place McAllen Pharr, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2012

Unfortunately in our line of business there are times when we are not able to honor all reservations because our guests don't always know when they will check out. We apologize for any inconvenience this caused and especially that you feel you were mistreated. Value Place always tries to take care of our guests and in this case we did not do our best. We believe in continuous improvement will continue to strive to provide our guests' with the best possible experience.

Reviewed January 24, 2011

Had confirmed reservation, showed up, was told no room. Was told to come back the next day, did that, waited 25 minutes, no staff at the desk, again no room despite confirmed reservation. The first day I was promised that I would get 50$ discount towards a room at another hotel, next day manager flatly denied that anyone had said that. Manager stated that it is policy that all guests can extend without reservations for as long as they want, and outside reservations are not binding and he does not care whether anyone has a reservation or not!
This is actually directly the opposite of what the policy on their website states. Manager called me stupid in front of other guests for not understanding his fake policy. Then threatened to call the police when I retaliated with similar language.
Definitely the worst hotel experience of my life. Buyer beware!!!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank budgettraveler061
Reviewed July 18, 2010

After over 25 years spending over 200 days a year in hotels, this place is the most unfriendly and poorly operated place I have ever been. The total lack of any skilled people at the front desk was the first issue. This is a striped hotel and it is no good for anybody but maybe sec. 8 welfare homeless people. My room was 326, nice view of the back of hotel that had some kind of junk yard and old trucks storage. No wi fi only cabel connection to a internet that is a little more or less dial up service and there is a 10.00 charge. The noise level at this place was very bad. On my floor alone I could here many fights and young children running around unsupervised late into the night in the hall way. Calls to the front desk where not returned. Customers be mindful of hidden charges. To sum things up the staff was by far a little more than a joke. Staff members were very rude and offensive. Make sure you get what you ask for. If you request a smoking room and they give you a non-smoking room with an ash tray in the room. watch out because there are no signs telling anybody anything. This hotel conducts room inspections on Sundays??? This was conducted by staff that looked like a hit man. Beware of this hotel. I have been to many hotels, this one is terrible, and I am very unhappy with the treatment. I do not see Value Place as a safe place to stay. For sure it is miss managed and I see no value in savings.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank HoustonGrasshopper
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pharr
Texas Inn & Suites
Clarion Inn
#28 of 41 in McAllen
Embassy Suites by Hilton McAllen Convention Center
Hampton Inn & Suites McAllen

Been to Value Place McAllen Pharr? Share your experiences!