“The unfortunate side effect is that you'll crave it later”
Review of Taste of Ethiopia

Taste of Ethiopia
Ranked #2 of 117 Restaurants in Pflugerville
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Description: Owner's name is Woinee Mariam. Great owner and great restaurant!
Description: Owner's name is Woinee Mariam. Great owner and great restaurant!
San Antonio
“The unfortunate side effect is that you'll crave it later”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I worked with an Ethiopian woman who said other than her kitchen, the best and most authentic Ethiopian food was at Taste of Ethiopia in Pflugerville. Sadly, I live in San Antonio which means that under the best of circumstances we'd be driving an hour and a half. That said, I was so excited to realize that I was going to a concert at the new Cedar Park Center - a 15 minute drive from the restaurant.

We had our two vegan neighbors and my meat-loving husband. The neighbors weren't especially familiar with Ethiopian but my husband and I lived in DC and miss the food a lot. We ordered the vegetarian combo and it was phenomenal: eggplant in a spicy sauce, yellow split peas, a cabbage/potato in tumeric mixture, green beans, lentils, a small salad and the best collard greens I've ever eaten in my life. We were in veggie heaven.

The owner is fabulous. When my husband asked her about the meat dishes, she brought him a small sample. Wow- it was so flavorful- it's the Ethiopian spice that tastes like cardamum and cinnamon and something else. Delish.

One neighbor had the spiced tea and she said it was very good- it was a chilly night. I had a glass of wine which was fine and the men stuck with beer.

We ate in the patio area- it's big enough that it looks like it could hold a number of people. The inside of the restaurant is rather small. They do take-out as the gentleman in front of us when we arrived was leaving with a number of bags in his hand (and a big grin!)

All in all, it was a fabulous meal. We told the owner to PLEASE come to San Antonio and set up shop. I hope she does because in the meantime, I'm going to have to find reasons to get to the north side of Austin.

• Visited April 2013

Houston, Texas
“A Great Find in Pflugerville, Texas.”
Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

An unexpected find in Pflugerville, Texas. We were pleasantly surprised by this international find in Texas barbeque country. We went for the lunch buffet and tried everything on the table. Nothing disappointed! The fried cauliflower was perfection, eggplant dish was sublime, and the post lunch coffee was presented in an authentic Ethiopian fashion. We're looking forward to our second visit!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank jcw0312
Pflugerville, Texas
“Always feel welcome!”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I love going to Taste of Ethiopia, it has officially become my family's go to Ethiopian restaurant when we aren't cooking ethiopian food at home, Ms. Woenie and her family as well as staff are always inviting and caring, great service as well as great food!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank FreeSpirit512
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Been coming back for years”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Every time my family and I come to visit relatives in Austin, TX, we stop at this restaurant to eat. They have a great-priced lunch buffet. The dinner menu is great. The different items you order are placed on a rolled out piece of injera for your table to share. You also get your individual servings of that light bubbly bread. The decor is cozy. The owner treats you like family and remembers us every year. The first time we visited the restaurant, we were weary of finding something my son would eat (it's not pizza or chicken nuggets) and the owner brought out something special that she said he would like - and he did!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank ENtraveller
Austin,TX
“Tasty Ethiopian Combo Veggie Dish”
Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

I saw the great Yelp reviews and decided to stop by and try the veggies. We had a nice appetizer, some Ethiopian wine and shared the combo plate. Treat yourself to a unique experience.

1 Thank E-Broockman