“I have to stand in that Line”

Killen's Texas Barbecue
Ranked #1 of 245 Restaurants in Pearland
Reviewed May 28, 2014

In case you didn't know, standing in line is the price you pay for some of the best barbecue in the Houston/Pearland area. Think melt in your mouth tenderness . If you have never been, it is about 5-6 miles from 288 entrance so be prepared for a little drive.. You can't miss it as you will glance over a realize, I have to stand in that line. For barbecue lovers you must check out at least 1 time

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Killen takes the whole idea of BBQ to a new level. There is usually a line, and they usually sell out before 4 or 5pm. When it is gone, it is gone. I've tried the chopped beef sandwhich, the beef ribs, pork belly, sausage, and turkey. It is all fantastic and represents what BBQ should be!

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Waited 1 hour for average BBQ, (NOT great) BBQ. Brisket plate was about 1/3 fat, sides about average. The long wait was not because food was that good, service is just unbelievable slow. By my watch took about 9 minutes to serve lunch plates to 10 people. My opinion "they slow down serving line so people are waiting outside, and then can honestly say people stand in line for hours for our BBQ". This opinion is substantiated by the small dining area having empty tables the entire time we were at the restaurant. Not worth the wait, many other BBQ restaurants in Houston area are just as good or better.

4  Thank Gene F
Reviewed May 26, 2014

This is a an absolute "must to STOP" in Pearland. The Killen's Steakhouse has always been a Texas favorite and special destination to many, the barbecue restaurant has the same attention to quality and customer service as the upscale steakhouse, which, to me, is what sets the barbecue restaurant ahead of the others. Ronnie was carving the brisket and when a chef of his caliber and expertise is actually working on the ordering line, you know everything will be perfect. The staff is very friendly and helpful. For old time "Pearlanders", the detail to the original building, which at one time was the school cafeteria and then the school district administration building, is especially interesting. Keeping the integrity of the "old" building makes you grateful to Ronnie Killen for helping to preserve this important historical site. Our sons said the beef ribs and brisket were some of the best ever, we also enjoyed the "sides", and you certainly do get enough to eat! Our daughter-in-love said the peach cobbler was terrific also! Our granddaughter had the pulled pork sandwich and she said it was the best! Congratulations to a very well organized staff and to Ronnie Killen, he is certainly the real deal!

Reviewed May 24, 2014

If you're a beef fan, I'm going to have to have you add this to your list of to-dos at the first available instance.

Ran to Pearland on an errand, occurred to me to use the opportunity to visit. I'll never wait for convenience again. Parking's pretty easy as half of the patrons seem to be to-go orders, so there's a fast turnover and an overflow lot. After a few minutes in line, the cheery beer guy came out passing out cups of cold beer for donations only.

We got there about noon on Memorial Weekend's Saturday, so the hour wait was not a surprise. The large tree planted that side keeps most of the line shaded. After getting inside, there's not much time to even admire the food before getting through the line. Plenty of seating.

They gave me a single beef rib that was the largest I've ever seen, easily enough food. It's got to be 3-4 inches thick, dry spiced, but fork-tender or beyond. Juiciest rib ever, and they cut the membrane off the right way before cooking. Meat comes off the bone and leaves it naked. Brisket is the same sort of thing, and the sauces are spectacular, I like the original (dark one).

As for sides, I'm not a fan of most of them, but the baked beans were the best I've ever had, could have licked the plate. The potato salad is a good mustard style.

The banana pudding I have to brag about. My Mississippi-based family is pretty famous for theirs, and even they rarely take the time to make pudding from scratch as the base. Not sure how he kept some of the Nilla wafers with a crunch. It wasn't too sweet at all, which I really really appreciated, I mean that pudding was RIGHT.

Even with a cafeteria-style line, a woman came to the table every few minutes to see how we were, refill teas and pickup trash.

Overall, it surpassed a meal to be a truly wonderful *experience*. Go.