“Great food and craft beer!”

BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse
Ranked #10 of 238 Restaurants in Pearland
Cuisines: American
Pearland, Texas
“Great food and craft beer!”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Service is always good and the bartenders are great! Everything on their menu is good and the GM, Mike, always stops by tables and checks on his customers.

Visited August 2013

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Nothing More, Nothing Less”
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

This was an average lunch experience. The price was discounted and the food was average. I ordered the mini pizza and a salad. The salad was exceptional. However the pizza was obviously sitting and waiting for awhile because by the time it reached me the plate was filled with condensation and the pizza bottom was no longer crisp. My husband enjoyed his chicken tenders and fries, although the tenders tasted like the frozen, prebreaded, tasteless ones.

Had the pizza been out to my table about 5 minutes earlier, my food would've been great! Maybe next time.

• Visited July 2013
“Crappy service”
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Love the beer, love the location, like the food, Hate the service. It's consistently horrible. This is very near our house, so we frequent this place a lot and we always have horrible service. Get new management please. I have found hair and glass in my food before and they didn't bother to comp it or really apologize. The waitresses are always in a bad mood and more concerned with flirting. If you want to flirt for tips, go work at hooters or twin peaks. I just want to be able to sit down and have decent service for once.

• Visited May 2013
Houston Texas
“Just OK.”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We live in Pearland and we've been to BJ's quite a few times in the past couple of years. I usually don't review restaurants near to us - unless we've been quite a few times to give them a chance to fix what may have been an aberrant evening's performance, either great or awful. BJ's, however, comes in as a solid, "Just OK," if people ask what my wife & I think.

Here's the thing about the law of averages, I suppose. Sooner or later, when you've visited a place enough times, you get the real feel for how good a place really can be, what the true level of quality of food, services, and presentation usually are, and can have a feeling about if you "like" the place or not. Don't get me wrong, we like BJ's well enough, but the prices are a bit too high for what you get, especially in light of the other places available to go, right here, which have better food, with better service, at a better price. Stadia comes to mind, as do Gringo's and Center Court.

By way of example, the last visit we went to BJ's we were with another couple, who asked us to BJ's to get together for drinks and dinner. BJ's was packed (Saturday night), which is as per usual, as it does have a fun atmosphere in which to hang out, and our server showed up at the table within 20 seconds of the hostess dropping us off after what was maybe a 10 minute wait (good for Sat. night Pearland). But, problems started then, as per usual. I don't know what it is about the workflow of their bar area, but our drink order literally took 17 minutes (before you ask, yes, I was.... based on previous experiences at BJ's - timing was a funny thing at the table to talk about). The guy arrived with the drinks, and kudos to him, apologized for the delay, but it is a common theme there when things are busy. Having worked in a restaurant environment ourselves in youth (all 4 at the table), we tried to figure out what the workflow issue is at the bar (which serves the whole restaurant). It just looks like nobody back there has any sense of urgency about getting the drink orders out. Seems to me that's hurting business, as, I don't know about other tables, but we easily could have had another round before the end of dinner, which would have been.... what? Average of $20, so probably $12-$15 net profit to the bar? A problem for them financially, a problem for us as it was slightly frustrating. But, it's the way it is at BJ's on a Saturday night. We knew going in and all that.

Our friends ordered to split the BJ's Special pizza, which amounts to what's on other places' Supreme style. My wife ordered a flatbread, basil pesto I think, and I had the beef dip (French Dip in other restaurants) sandwich. My sandwich came out, and was very good, slightly toasted bread (exactly correct), my lady's flatbread was great, and the other couple reported tha the pizza was excellent. It was generally admitted that "When BJ's pizza comes out right, it is outright excellent." But, since all four of us know what was meant.... you see the issue. We, my wife & I, stopped ordering pizza at BJ's, in spite of it being a primary menu item, as they've managed to burn or undercook, not marginally, but seriously, our pizzas in the past. It is such a thing that we just decided that we don't order pizza at BJ's any longer, just stick to the other items. Specifically looking for the ones that are "hard to screw up."

As to drinks, when they arrive, they are usually quite good, liberal pours for our friends liquor libations, good pour on my wife's wine, and the seasonal microbrew amber ale I had was very nice. Keep in mind that the round of what we got was in excess of $20. Quite bit, actually. But, the wait on the drinks seems to cause one to want to knock it back in unseemly haste, accentuating the problem in obtaining the refill.

Anyway, I'm sure we'll go back to BJ's again, probably with this same couple as they enjoy that pizza there and seem to have good luck with it. But... we seem to have some sort of cloud over our own pizza orders there, which is a shame. At the end of the day, I'd be OK with it all if the price across the board was $1.50 less for each item. Beers at $4.50 instead of $6.00, wine at $9.50 instead of $11.00, like that.

If you go, you'll probably have a good time, but you'll most likely (averages again) have at least one issue while there.

• Visited June 2013
Duncan B.C.
“Great place for lunch at Pearland Centre”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Lunch with my wife, daughter-in-law and her 6 week old baby. We found service attentive. Server was able to help with needs for our grandson. Menu is a mixture of pub food, pastas, salads and sandwiches. Excellent variety of beers. Being visitors to Texas from Canada it was uncomfortably warm outside. BJ's was a good break and not too noisy so we could relax and talk.

• Visited May 2013