“Why stay anywhere else?”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Old Magnolia House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Paris B&B and Inns
Rockwall Texas
“Why stay anywhere else?”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

One of the most beautifully decorated Victorian homes I've seen. The owners make you feel like family. The breakfast is outstanding and beautifully presented. The price is exceptional and the beds are lush and comfortable. The price difference in this B&B and the local hotels is less than the cost of a decent breakfast anywhere making this option a no brainier. I will definitely return as frequently as my work travel allows. Best stay of any B&B so far!

Room Tip: All rooms have private baths. The rose room is most private. The Magnolia room has a jacuzzi tub
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
East Texas
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Though the Old Magnolia House Bed and Breakfast is the only B&B within the city limits of Paris, Texas, the two owners (middle-aged sisters) treat their guests as if they were in competition with dozens of other establishments. The sisters take turns manning the b&b on weekends so it is a rarity when guests have the opportunity to meet and interact with both of them. That opportunity did come about for us because the Old Magnolia House was the Paris mayor's choice for a luncheon for his visiting children. Even though the request came late in the evening before the on duty sister called her sibling and between the two of them they planned and orchestrated an amazing event. And all this was done without sacrificing the care and comfort of their guests. The sisters have unique though differing gifts in the area of hospitality, but they both recognize their differing strengths. That recognition makes their working relationship not only easy but extremely successful.

The room rate seemed quite reasonable to me. The room we had, the Magnolia, has a separate sitting room and a Jacuzzi tub in the bath, as well as a shower. Though I am not an aficionado of Victorian home decorating, I could tell that a lot of time, expertise and finances had gone into the decorating of the entire home (we were given a tour of all the room as we were the first to arrive that weekend). Though the rooms appeared somewhat crowded with bric-a-brac and furniture, both sisters encouraged us to move anything that was in our way so that we would feel as comfortable as possible. You cannot ask for more of hosts of any such establishment.

I can't add any more to other reviews concerning their breakfasts. Not only was ours one of the most delicious my wife and I have ever enjoyed (and we do enjoy breakfasts!), it was the healthiest meal bar none. The only drawback I see concerning the Old Magnolia is that the house contains only four guest rooms, so reservations usually must be made well in advance. However, just as we experienced when we decided to make a spur-of-the-moment trip to Paris, sometimes a late cancellation occurs just minutes before a phone call requesting a reservation is made. Serendipity!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank srsEastTexas
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
Reviewed November 2, 2013

My stay at the beautiful Old Magnolia House Bed and Breakfast was like going back in time. It is a beautifully appointed home that is very welcoming with a truly gourmet breakfast!! "Southern Hospitality" is alive and well in Paris, TX.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I can't say enough about this wonderful B & B! From the great accommodations, to the two most friendly and attentive innkeepers and the AMAZING food! (Love the homemade Cinnamon Rolls! They are to die for!). It felt just like home! WE will definitely be back! :-)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sunnyvale, TX
Reviewed October 15, 2013

This was an excellent choice for a wonderful weekend in Paris! The sisters that own the house are excellent cooks and hostesses. The breakfast was unsurpassed. Every detail was thought out, from the robes to the right kind of peppermints! They had coffee machine that was self serve 24 hrs. a day for hot beverages and homemade sweets. We really enjoyed the trail in Paris for our bike ride.

Room Tip: If you want a tub and a shower, request it. They have one room with both, the others have shower and...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jan P
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Traveling through Texas, I visited Paris more for the name of the town than anything and wasn't paying too much attention to where I stayed. But the Old Magnolia House changed my mind on that. It's a real find and quite, quite beautiful. Very welcoming, lovely rooms, excellent breakfast. If you're ever in Paris and you can, stay here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Farmersville, Texas, United States
Reviewed October 8, 2013

One weekend I was looking for a place to ride my bike and write and choose Paris Texas. On the recommendation of a member of the NETT Coalition (North East Texas Trail Coalition) I selected the Old Magnolia, which is blocks from downtown and blocks from the Trail de Paris Trail head (what they call their portion of the NETT in Paris).
Upon arrival I was greeted with a big smile and welcome. I told the owner my plan and we discussed breakfast plans. She was more than willing to accommodate my needs. We agreed that she would put out muffins and water for a pre-ride fuel. Upon return from my ride I showered then got to enjoy the full fancy breakfast, and I might add it was scrumptious. After I went to my comfortable room to write an article I had been asked to write for The Racing Post Magazine. After working on that for a while I searched the internet and Facebooked, so you know the WiFi works well. Now my eyes were heavy as I had been up since 5:30 am. I though "I wonder if I could take a short nap." I rolled over and boom I was out like a light and slept for about 2 hours. Heard not one noise while napping. After I got up and went for another ride. Once I returned I inquired about a Mexican Food Restaurant I had ridden past and got a good recommendation. Although there was an option for entertainment for the night, I was tired and knew I wanted to get up early and ride again. To bed I went. The bed was very comfortable, the rooms quiet and the company nice. The following morning we did the same breakfast routine and this time I got to enjoy the company of other guests and the owner while eating the second breakfast.
If there were only one negative I had to put out is the place had so many tea cups, knick-knacks and pictures it was difficult to rest my eyes as I walked through the house. I just kept looking. Additionally, the taxidermy cat by the fire place was a bit creepy too. I guess the house was decorated in traditional Victorian style, but it was a little overwhelming to my eye. With that said I would definitely stay there again as there is no real negative only a decorating preference. Go enjoy Paris, the hospitality of the Old Magnolia and walk away refreshed.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo