“Good Mexican fare”

El Toro Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 95 Restaurants in Palestine
Description: A local favorite for over 30 years. Come find out why our guests travel from all around to have the finest and freshest Tex-Mex right here in Palestine. We start with the finest ingredients, provide excellent service, and exceed all of our guests expectations. Don't want Tex-Mex? Not an issue. We have many menu options to pick from. There are American meals, Seafood, Fresh Salads, and a fun kids menu. Come on in because we have something for everyone. We look forward to serving you!
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Went with friends. Something for everyone. I got the fajita plate which came sizzling on the hot plate. Husband got the plate and said it was excellent. A little noisy to carry on a conversation, but you can tell its one of the hotspots.

jdmayes, Guest Relations Manager at El Toro Mexican Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Thank you for your recent visit to El Toro in Palestine. I would also like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. We work very hard at providing the best meals possible, giving excellent service, and always looking for ways to improve. It pleases us so very much when we hear from great guests letting us know how we are doing and that we are meeting our goals. Thanks again for choosing El Toro. We look forward to serving you.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

The food is always good at El Toro! It's usually a bustling atmosphere and sometimes it's hard to find parking and you have to park in the adjacent Office Depot lot. When it's that full, seating is a little cramped. But, overall it's worth the wait - especially for the green sauce!!

Reviewed August 21, 2013

The restaurant has definitely made improvements over the last year. El Toro has always had at the very least decent service, but it seems to have drastically improved. We are always promptly seated and served chips. The waiters/waitresses keep our glasses full, and there is never too long of a wait for our food.

Some may say that this is not "real" Tex-Mex, but if fajitas, enchiladas, and tacos aren't Tex-Mex, then I don't know what is. The food is always great! We eat here almost weekly. I'm not a big fan of the fact that they charge for extra cheese, but if I ran a restaurant, I can't say that I would be any different.

1  Thank Morgan B
jdmayes, Guest Relations Manager at El Toro Mexican Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Thank you of your recent review of this location. I would also like to thank you for your continued patronage from the past and the future.

I love to get feedback like this one! I was recently up there checking up on them and saw some of the same great things you did. They had been working with the all the staff on service over the past month or so and it was definitely noticeable. We covered some other areas which I thought they could make our guest's experience that much better and they committed to work on it. We have also been working with our kitchen staff on improving our food quality and presentation. I'm sure you have noticed some of the new menu items that separates us from everyone else in Palestine as one of the very best in that area.

When getting reviews like this one, it lets us know that all the hard work is paying off and it encourages us to keep pushing forward. Again thank you and we look forward to many more years of serving you.

John Mayes
Director of Operations

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Overall, the food is just okay. I have been here several times, usually because somebody else wants to go. I prefer the other major Mexican restaurant in Palestine.
El Toro service is just so so. The feeling is sort of cold in there, although quite loud.
The chips taste good, however the salsas are less than appealing. Some of the worst I have ever had at a Mexican restaurant really.
The prices are okay and the food is average. Some things are better than others. Don't order anything with chili gravy! The verde enchiladas are pretty good.
The overall service is okay too.
Is it the worst place to eat? No, not exactly. But I would rather go to the other one in town as it is definitely much better.

jdmayes, Guest Relations Manager at El Toro Mexican Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

Thank you for your recent review. I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule to send us this feedback. I apologize that your experience was not up to the high standards that we set at all of our locations. I do disagree with a few of your comments but there no excuse for poor or average service. We work hard at all of our locations to exceed our guests expectations and we missed the mark with your dine in. I have already contacted the location and given the management team some clear direction on the steps that we are going to take to improve in this area. We always receive great comments from the other reviews as you can see on this website but missed the target when it came to your table. We will get this corrected is my promise to you. I will agree with you that our verde sauce on the enchiladas is very good. I also believe our chili gravy to be outstanding. It is an old family recipe that one of our original chefs came up with and all of our guests love it! I apologize that your pallet does not like it. I consider myself a Tex-Mex connoisseur and consider our food to be one of the best in the industry or I would not work here. I have eaten at the other restaurants in town and though they are good in their own way, their quality, flavor, plate appearance, portion size and attention to detail does not match ours. I would love to speak to you further about your comments and get some more detail information about your experience and hopefully convince you to continue to dine with us. I'm leaving my information below. Thank you again for your feedback. I look forward to hearing from you. We always look forward to serving you.

John Mayes
Director of Operations
El Toro Restaurant's
281-507-2223

Reviewed June 30, 2013

While visiting Palestine, we tried El Toro because it was close to our hotel, and we were tired from a long drive. Palestine is a nice town but not overloaded with dining options, so our expectations weren't that high. What a nice surprise El Toro was. Even though the place was busy, we were seated promptly, drinks and food arrived in a timely manner, and most importantly the food was great. Our meals looked and tasted as though someone in the kitchen took pride in what they were doing. I had the Shrimp / Mango salad and it was freshly prepared and very tasty.
While we were there, the staff was constantly keeping everything clean. If I had a complaint, it was that our waitress wasn't overly excited about working on a Saturday evening, and she showed it. I'm sure her tips at the end of the evening reflected this. Other than the disinterested waitress, we had a very positive experience.

1  Thank Dan H
jdmayes, Guest Relations Manager at El Toro Mexican Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Thank you for your recent review on trip advisor. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your meal at our location. We do take pride in everything we do. We start with the freshest ingredients in the back to serve the great tasting meals in the front. Our thought is you can't start with cheaply made car in the back and push a BMW out the front. That shrimp and mango salad is something we just recently rolled out and attention to detail is needed. I'm glad to hear they are executing well. It is dissappointing about the waitress. It sounds to me if she would have been on her game that your experience would have been over the top. We will have to come up with some new ways to motivate. Thanks again for your review! We look forward to serving you again on your next visit.