“Very nice overnight stay”

Best Western Orange Inn & Suites
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Orange
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We were traveling through Orange and new we would need a place to stay, so I booked a room through Hotwire based on other traveler's reviews. The hotel was very nice, and appeared to be new. The beds were comfortable, and the breakfast was actually quite good. Many times, these places that have breakfast included consist of simply cereal and a muffin. They had a waffle-maker, eggs, and sausage in addition to the usual breakfast 'staples'. The signage said breakfast began at 6AM, and as we hoped to be on the road by 6:00, I figured we'd miss it. But, it was all out and ready well before 6AM, which was great. Check-in was a breeze.

The only 'down' is that the hotel is located about 3 miles from Orange. Eating places around the hotel were all fast food and a Waffle House. The kids wanted pizza so we drove into Orange to find a pizza place. It's an easy drive, but there is very little to do around the hotel. For us being there simply one night, it was perfect.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BryanBoerne
Travelqueen2388, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Orange Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2013

We very much appreciate and value your feedback and will share it with our

team. Your survey responses will serve as encouragement to all of our staff as

we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an

exceptional experience for our guests. It is always a pleasure to receive positive

feedback.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will

be even more pleasant than the previous one.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

The staff was very friendly, Couple friends and I wanted to go swimming late at night but the pool was closed but the staff allowed us to swim. The breakfast I the morning was fresh and warm. There is also restaurants within walking distance if you were looking for other options (churches chicken, Denny's, Subway, Waffle House, Whataburger)

The Room were very clean is seemed as if it was a brand new hotel and we were the first to stay in that particular room.

I am not a person who likes to write reviews but this hotel deserves a review. I would certainly recommend this hotel to others

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank SWali07

We very much appreciate and value your feedback and will share it with our

team. Your survey responses will serve as encouragement to all of our staff as

we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an

feedback.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will

be even more pleasant than the previous one.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

We went to Orange, Texas to go to a show at Lutcher Hall Auditorium. This hotel was the choice of the travelling company and we wanted to visit with one of them so we stayed here. There would have been no other way that we would have chosen this place, and if it were not for the opportunity to visit with our friend, there is no way we would have stayed here after we checked in. This was an absolutely horrible experience.

We arrived at our third floor room to find it dark, damp, and just not nice in any way shape or form. The room had a strange smell of a chemical spray that apparently was used to cover up the real musty smell of the room. The A/C was working very well, but it was not able to get rid of the obvious dampness in the room. This hotel room appears to me to be what a money strapped college student would choose for a stay at the beach during spring break. The only problem is that there is no beach.

The room is supposed to be a suite. To me, a suite in a hotel denotes a class of luxury accommodations. This King Suite consists of one average sized hotel room that has an archway in the middle of it. Sorry, not a suite! On one side of the arch is a king sized bed and on the other side is a love seat sized sofa and a coffee table. Across from the sofa is a desk/work station with a light. Above it is a 32” Philips TV.

The main bed is comfortable, and the pillows are really nice. My wife was not feeling well, and I didn't want to catch the bug she was coming down with so I tried to sleep on the pull out sleeper sofa. The sleeper sofa is a bad joke. It is perhaps the worst sleeper sofa I have ever tried to sleep on. To top it off there were no sheets for the sleeper. I ended up just putting it back together as a sofa and sleeping on the sofa.

The bathroom is a decent sized single sink and toilet with a walk-in shower, but no bathtub. The towels are just about the thinnest I have ever seen in a hotel in any location and we travel a lot all over the world.

There is internet at this hotel. I would say that it functions at about the speed of the old 14.4kbit/s. When you are accustomed to high speed internet this is kind of a joke. I ended up using my iPhone and 4G service. It was significantly faster than the hotel internet. How slow was the Internet? I made an attempt at streaming WSIX out of Nashville via iHeart radio and the connection was to slow to stream. In the year 2014 that is unacceptable. (FYI – I ran two speed tests on the internet here. Download speeds of 0.44 mb/s and 1.43mb/s, with upload speeds of 0.99 mb/s and 1.00 mb/s. Overall grades of F+ and D on the two tests.)

There is a truck stop next door and as the trucks pull out their engines kind of rev up and they wake you up all night long. I would say that this is not the hotel’s fault, but the truck stop was here prior to them building the hotel. A hotel company should have done their homework and known this was going to happen. If you want a good night’s sleep make sure you ask for a room on the other side of the hotel. You can see the picture showing exactly how close the truck stop is to our room.

If you were coming in off the highway at 10:00 PM and you needed a place to sleep for a few hours before continuing on your journey and the price was about $39/night I might say that it is average. The problem is that we paid $93.81 for this room. When you take into consideration the location (middle of nowhere), the décor of the room (very poor), the size of the room (not a suite like we paid for), the bathroom (which is actually a ¾ bath), the quality of the furnishings and the noise from the truck stop, I would rate this hotel a 2 on a scale of 1-10 even if the room cost was $39/night. Considering the price we paid I would reduce that rating to 1 out of 10, and for Trip Advisor that comes out to a score of ONE.

One last comment, I have 143 reviews as of today on Trip Advisor. This is only the 6th rating of terrible I have given. That places this hotel in the bottom 4% of all locations I have reviewed.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bandman

Reviewed May 20, 2013

My family stayed at this hotel during our cross country trip. I found this hotel via the reviews on Trip Advisor, and am sad to report that it did not live up the reviews. We checked in around 9 and the clerk was not very friendly. I asked her where I could walk my dog, and she said in the front field, which had very poor lighting. I had reserved an accessible room, but there were none available so she put us on the second floor. The room smelled horrible, very musty and dank. I requested a second room, which was better but still had an odd smell and felt damp. The air conditioner barely worked, so the room never cooled down. The room was clean, but a bit run down. The bed was comfortable, but the linens were old. The next morning, we checked out early to get on the road. Instead of being at the front desk, the clerk was outside the front door smoking with a friend. Walking back and forth through smoke while we loaded our car was not very pleasant. And when I checked out, the clerk gave me a hard time about our dog basically accusing me of not disclosing our pet to the night clerk. I told her that I not only disclosed our dog, but also asked the night clerk about where to walk him. She finally relented and said the night clerk would have to deal with management. The only upshot of this shoddy hotel is the price: we paid about $75 for the room.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank tla852
SleepInnOrangeTX, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Orange Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2013

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Based on everything I could tell, this hotel is the best in the area either for short or long term stays. Location wise it is just off the I-10 and plenty of shops/places to eat around. The area itself is nice enough, a bit noisy with the truck stop near by but nothing that will keep you up. The staff were very friendly and the rooms spacious, clean and modern. Breakfast was nice as was the breakfast room itself. Nothing to fault, had a very comfortable stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
SleepInnOrangeTX, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Orange Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. We very much appreciate and value your feedback and will share it with our team..Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be even more pleasant than the previous one.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

This hotel had a great low price. so I wasn't expecting much. But to my surprise it was very clean and very nice decor. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. I'm just always glad to check into a CLEAN room that doesn't smell funny. I find that the beds in ALL Choice hotels are really comfortable. If I am ever travelling through Orange, Texas again, I will definitely stay here.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I stayed at the Sleep Inn after a more expensive stay in another hotel in Orange.

The detail in this place is outstanding. High ceilings, lamps on the desk that actually work, numerous outlets and a comfy bed make a lotta difference .... The breakfast was really great 'cause I like peanut butter and they have peanut butter...

The room I got was a handicap room and had an enormous shower that you could wash a VW in, nice ....

Certainly a go-back-to sorta place

Room Tip: ask for a handicap room and