“Skip this one and go to the Hilton”
Review of MCM Elegante Hotel

MCM Elegante Hotel
Ranked #18 of 40 Hotels in Odessa
Brenham, Texas
“Skip this one and go to the Hilton”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I've traveled to Odessa frequently over the past years. I would recommend the Hilton Garden Inn. Having said that, I have attended company functions (under duress) at this hotel for many years--and it has gotten progressively worse. I've already decided to decline a 2013 invitation if it's held here. After reading other reviews, I have to wholeheartedly agree that this place has never been elegant and that it has progressively declined! I have NEVER encountered--in more than 5 or 6 visits over as many years--a nice or a friendly Elegante' employee. On the other hand, it's quite easy to find one that couldn't care less.
If you have no other choice but to stay here--I suggest you bring at least one full can of Lysol Disinfecting Spray per day (per room), eat anywhere else, and never put your suitcase on the floor.
Again, it's a sign of the times in this area that the oil boom that has envigorated their economy has also made it a horrible place to live or expect any kind of decent service. I suspect many out in this area will welcome the next bust.

Room Tip: Don't bother--there are no good rooms!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Robbie A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Lubbock, Texas, United States
Reviewed June 13, 2013

First of all, we had reserved several rooms for several members of my wife's family, including us, to attend a HS graduation. Since we were reserving several rooms, we were given a special price of $99 for each room. Two weeks before the graduation, the hotel changed its mind and we all had to pay $170 each for the rooms. We had all planned to drive in on Friday and spend two nights in Odessa, but after the change in price, we all had to change our plans to one night. No reason or explanation for the change except that it came from upper management. I spoke with 3 different persons trying to get an answer with no success. So instead of spending Friday-Sunday with family, we were all cut down to one day. It wasn't even a day because most of us spend Saturday traveling to Odessa and then had to travel back on Sunday.
After checking in and going to our room, I discovered that this room is no different than any other motel room. I have a hard time understanding why the price of these rooms are so high. The toilets in these rooms are 12" high. My wife being handicapped had a hard time using the bathroom in the room. We had been promised a 1st floor room with handicapped features, but instead we got a standard room on the 3rd floor. When I tried to explain that we had asked for a 1st floor room, we were told that they had already run out of rooms on the first floor. So we had to take what they gave us or go somewhere else.
The price of motels in Midland-Odessa are just too high for what you get. Even Motel 6 was $120 for one night. These motels are no better than any other motel that I have stayed in and I have never had to pay this much. I go to Dallas/FW area all the time and have never paid more than $100 for a decent motel. I don't understand how a city with a population of less than a hundred thousand, had motels with higher prices than cities that have over two hundred thousand persons. When I asked about the breakfast, I was told that there is no free breakfast because there are two places to eat next door to the motel. Sounds fishy.
Overall, we were all disappointed about the price change, no breakfast, and not getting the room we requested ahead of time. I always thought the motels had to honor the price that you were given, but not at this motel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jay L

Travelers are raving about these Odessa hotels

College Station, Texas
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed at the Elegante for two nights in March because we stayed there years ago and enjoyed our visit. I should have looked at the most recent reviews! The entire hotel needs a facelift. My main issue, however, is poor service at the front desk. We couldn't find an ice bucket in the room, and when we asked for one, we were given a plastic bag and informed that a bucket was not available. The people who checked is in and out were efficient, but clearly indifferent to customer satisfaction. I understand that business associated with the Odessa oil boom has provided consistent "sold out" status for this hotel. Someone needs to tell the staff that a friendly smile and a modicum of concern for customers' comfort goes a long way in an aging, dated facility. If you have to stay at the Elegante, take an extra large Ziplock bag. You'll need it if you want ice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank AggieAbroad
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 7, 2013

You can't find a decent hotel for less than $200 per night in the Permian Basin, but as hotels go the Elegante is very nice. Nice updates in the rooms on the second floor. I've heard some other rooms are a bit more dated. Staff is efficient and pleasant.

Room Tip: Pool side is a little noisy. During peak summer travel, you might want to avoid it.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I am in my room now. Waiting for someone to fix my shower so I have hot water. They do not have a buffet breakfast or a manager's reception. The bar was gross and the restaurant subpar. Every employee I have encountered so far has been totally unhelpful or unprofessional eventhough I have treated them all with respect. I tried to book a last minute manicure in the "spa" (I know spas. This place is a room with a few chairs and some Aveda products). They told me there wasn't enough time for a manicure (it was 7:15 & they close at 8). When I walked by the spa, I saw all of the employees standing around talking with each other doing nothing. It is almost 11 pm and I have to be up at 5 am for a seminar downstairs in this hotel. As of now, I can't shower. They are charging me $260 for this room. What about this hotel is 4 star???

Room Tip: Go someplace else.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I've lived at the Elegante for a few months, and this place is horrible, even by Odessa standards. The keylocks on the back and sidedoors are never active, so anyone can (and does) come and go as they please. The whole hotel has a musty odor. If you are lucky, you might get a room with a new AC unit, otherwise you are stuck with an old one that pumps more black mold than cold air into your room. Some floors have plumbing that regularly backs up into the bathtubs which is always a fun morning surprise. Not sure there is a better way to start the day than a bathtub full of sewage. The internet connection is awful, it makes it pretty much impossible to work from the hotel. It often takes 20-30 minutes to check email, no exaggeration. The Cable is shoddy, the ice machines only work on 1 out of 3 floors, and the pool periodically gets shut down by the City of Odessa health inspector. There is a bar downstairs, and a back door where "gentlemen" like to hang out. Both spots tend to require the aid of law enforcement on a regular basis.

Now one thing I can say that is good about this crap hole is that the mattresses are pretty comfortable. Thats about it. Everything else sucks. Don't come to this hell hole.

Room Tip: Whatever you do, don't stay on the first 2 floors, those are the roughest rooms of all.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Understanding the boom and the difficulty in finding hotels, this is a nice change in the area, but still pretty from from rating it 4 out of 5. Restaurant is average, but several nice places in the area, bar is extremely smoky, but so is everything else in the area. Noisy from 530-630 in the morning as the trucks leave.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business