“Not so Elegante” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 39 Hotels in Odessa
Angleton, Texas, United States
“Not so Elegante”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

This hotel has a lot of deferred maintenance and needs an overhaul. Most of the place seems held together by quick fixes and not decent repairs. In my room there was a gaping hole in the shower surround, stained carpets, and a mattress that was bowl shaped.

The service was average at best. While leaving for the day I notified teh housekeeper that we were out for the day and we were ready for her to clean our room. We returned later to find our room untouched, so we used dirty towels from the night before (off the dirty floor!). When I complained of the issues the front desk could care less, but they did discount our room some.

It was nice to have my morning tea at the Starbucks, which was tucked into the small room and part of the spa (no more than 10x10' total space.

Fortunately I stayed at a reduced rate since we were part of a wedding. However even then there's not much value in staying at the Elegante versus the Best Western or other smaller hotels just up the road. Don't let the name fool you as it is nothing but elegante. Pay less at a cheaper hotel and sleep better. There's too many headaches here. :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank BSOD

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Melissa, Texas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

We stay at the MCM Elegante in Odessa every year for an event that we work at in November. There are a number of reasons we stay here, but the primary reason is how comfortable the beds are. When you have to spend an entire week at one hotel, it better be comfortable. I will say that you need to spend the extra money and try to stay on the concierge level. They have a step up in bed (even though the other beds are fine) and you get a private area/lounge/suite type place to enjoy a cook to order breakfast in the morning as well free cocktails and Hors d'oeuvres.

Keep in mind, this is an old Holiday Inn, so the walls are a little thin and it can be loud, but for Odessa, Texas, it is a locally owned place that just has a really nice touch.

Room Tip: I would recommend a room on the west side of the tower. The rooms that face the street tend to have...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Highland Village, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

My husband and I stayed overnight at the MCM Elegante in Odessa on 6/23. It had been over 2 years since we had stayed at the MCM Elegante, the stay on 6/23 was probably our last. The bed is comfortable and the room was clean however we did experience a couple of problems. The chain lock on the door had been pulled out by the screws and therefore did not work. On previous stays we had not felt unsafe and the door chain would not have been a big deal. The visit on 6/23 was different. The hotel has apparantly become a "hot" spot on Saturday nights, perhaps other nights as well based on the event advertisements posted inside the elevators. We went out for dinner and when we returned at 9:00 p.m. could not find a parking space in the spacious parking lot. Young people were lined up in at least 2 lines of 50 or more each to get into the bar. People were standing around outside doors drinking and smoking. When I asked the front desk staff how long this would be going on she shrugged and said 1:00 a.m. or later and if I ran into the guard to tell him about the people outside drinking. Hotel guests were not the priority on 6/23.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

Understanding that Odessa does not have sufficient living accomodations for the many oil field workers they have this year, I noticed that all the hotels/motels rates had increased their rates by over 40%. It was quite a challenge trying to find a reasonably priced room for a pending wedding on August 11, 2012. I called the mother of the bride to ask if by any chance the wedding couple had reserved rooms for their out of town guests. I was impressed that one of the most popular hotels in town, the MCM Elegante, had reduced their rates significantly by over 50%. The wedding couple selected this hotel to have their reception, and the hotel provided lower rates to their guests. I am so glad they did! I immediately made the reservation. This was in early June. We now anxiously await the great event. I plan to write a review after our stay. Stay tuned......

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

Yes the beds are so comfortable! Pool area was nice! Lobby is decorated with a large aquarium and water fountains. Spa and Starbucks right off the lobby. Small bar with dance floor and you can order food from the restaurant while in the bar too. Off one corner of the property is a running track, picnic tables and grill with a small playground. Its close to museums, restaurants and shopping. It could do with some updating but overall it served its purpose.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Deanna S
durham, nc
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2012

The Good:
The Concierge Level and its benefits. Comfortable mattress, cozy bedding, hot breakfasts, happy hour (3 hours long) and great concierge lounge service staff. Also, the hotel's location is good for my needs.

The Bad:
The gym. Ancient treadmill, broken weight machines and no free weights. But it's better than no gym at all. Hotel guests have access to an offsite gym facility which is most likely better than the one onsite. Due to schedule constraints, I didn’t check it out.
Room Bathroom. The bathroom looked to be straight from the late 1970's and the bath towels threadbare and stained.
Highway noise. The east side rooms are on loop 338 which has a lot of heavy truck/oil field machinery traffic beginning around 4 am each morning. Bring earplugs if you're a light sleeper and on the east side.
Housekeeping. Though I was supposed to have daily housekeeping, the maids failed to clean my room for two days of my five day stay. Maybe it was because I didn't put money in the tip envelopes they conspicuously left on the bed when they did come and clean(?).
Electrical Outlets. There are no convenient outlets to charge cellphones or laptops. I had to crawl around on the floor and under the desk to free an outlet for my computer. Charging my devices required some creativity and juggling.
The Ugly
Expensive rooms. The oil business is booming and hotel rooms are scarce. These rooms fetch a pretty penny. I've paid less for a beautiful cabana on the Caribbean Sea.
The Ten Commandments. A 10 foot tall granite slab inscribed with the Ten Commandments is the first thing you see as you pull up to check in. While I respect that these biblical principles provide valuable ethical instruction for humans, their presence at the entrance of the MCM Elegante is overbearing, heavy-handed and creepy.

The Bottom Line
The MCM Elegante is dated and in need of a remodel/renovation. I would most likely stay here again if I had to, but only if a concierge floor room is available. Since the best parts of my stay were associated with the Concierge Level and that's only a fraction of the hotel, I can't in good conscience give this hotel a better overall rating than poor.

Room Tip: Book a Concierge room on the West side of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank dollymama

Travelers are raving about these Odessa hotels

Odessa, Texas, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2012

Im actually sitting in my hotel room as i write this review. i am completely apalled at the cleanliness of this hotel. we had to change rooms because our first room was filthy. Toe nail clippings on the floor Lead me to further inspect the room. Didnt have to inspect long before finding the toilet to be disgusting and ew hair in the tub. Called down and told them they needed to come clean this room because i was pretty sure the housekeeping didnt clean it and did minimal work. They moved us rooms and still not impressed by the cleanliness of this room. The towels,sheets, and comforters look like they were bought at the dollar store. Coffee pot is located in the bathroom which doesnt make since to me especially since they could put it above the microwave but im guessing they didnt want to use the only available plug in the room. this could have been prevented by purchasing a multiple plug outlet. Bathroom was very small and water drains very slow. if this wasnt the ony hotel available in town i would definately leave. Ive stayed in multiple hotels and im not some snooty person that looks for problems and has to have everything sparky clean and im definately not a germ-a-phobe but this hotel is disgusting! its better than motel 6 but if there is a different hotel available my recommendation would be to go somewhere there. The price is outrageous for the quality of this hotel.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family