“Much improved furnishings; the food hasn't changed” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Waitstaff
Dining options: Waitstaff
Hurst, Texas
“Much improved furnishings; the food hasn't changed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

I am a local, so I get to visit here more than I'd prefer. I stopped in today only because of a huge balloon on the building proclaiming "Grand Opening." Since you've been in business there for decades, I find it a little inappropriate to call anything a 'Grand Opening." What they are trying to draw attention to is a badly overdue re-make of the dining room. Finally, it's been bought up to Denny's latest corporate standards, and the store looks better than it has in 20+ years.

I ordered the value slam with coffee, and it was quite early. There was no cook in the kitchen, but after waiting 5-10 minutes the shift supervisor drags in from outside, cell phone firmly planted into her ear, and washes up (it's really fun to wash your hands when you can't put the cell phone down.) She headed back into the kitchen and starts cooking my breakfast. I sat there with no coffee while a server blabber mouthed with one of the regulars, finally getting up and serving myself another cup. At that time the server finally got interested in doing her work, and proceeded to get ready to serve my plate.

When she brought me my plate, the quality was almost good enough, except for the pancakes. The whole time the cook was working she still had this cell phone firmly planted in one ear. The pancakes came out barely brown, and were too thick such that the middle of them wasn't done. Rather than have them re-do the order, I just ate around the edges where it was more done, and left the middle behind.

Both the server and the shift supervisor were far more interested in other activities than doing any work. Between the table server who was inattentive, to the cook who couldn't put the phone down long enough to make breakfast, I'd have to say nothing much has changed. The store was so ratty before this facelift, it had become too dingy to patronize. That's all been mended, but if you show up at 4:30 AM wanting breakfast, you're still going to get a predictable level of service typical of a franchised store.

Caveat emptor! Anyone who patronizes Denny's should already know what they are going to get. If that's within the scope of what you are looking for, this store is now up to date, and apparently as good as any. I don't do lunch or dinner there, thus I can't comment. The store itself has been around since the stone ages, and the interior is exactly as it was in 1960 with a many an applied face lift.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Colleyville, Texas
“Bait & Switch”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

I had breakfast at Denny's this morning. I had a coupon from the Rangers game for a free Grand Slam (with drink purchase required). I showed the host (David) the coupon when he seated me and asked if I could do any substitutions to the grand slam. David said "sure, you can build it to order". The waitress saw the coupon as I was ordering and told me "no substitutions are allowed". I told her that was fine, but she should tell the host since he told me just the opposite. At that point, the waitress changed her mind and said it was okay. When I went to pay, another host denied the coupon and caused a huge scene as she refused to even check me out because "it wasn't coming out of her check". I other host, David, came to check me out and he denied the coupon as well. A $6 breakfast isn't worth making a scene worse, so I paid the check and told them they've lost my business forever.

• Visited July 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Joplin
“Older Denny's but okay.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

We had breakfast one morning at the Denny's. It is an older property and it has a smoking area that we do not enjoy so it smells a little stale. The food and service were average. Nothing special but just another Denny's.

Visited April 2012
Hurst, Texas
“It's OK; store has seen better days; staff attentive; franchisee miserable.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2011

Denny’s Restaurants, once all corporate owned, and the holder of stringent standards some years ago began to franchise out it’s stores, and it’s been on a slippery slope ever since. If you have any knowledge of the company’s past, it’s hard to see anything but wreckage. This old store has been a stand by of mine for 20 years now, and I still patronize them. The franchise owner is obviously not interested in putting money back into the store. They operate it on what appears to be a shoestring, allowing it to go without air conditioning for days at a time, and behind on updates and changes mandated by corporate, some of which still are not installed.

Were it not for their value menu, I’d just drive right by the place. I get their value slam breakfast about once per week. You’re never quite sure what you’re going to get. Sometimes the pancakes are cooked on one side; not on the other. Sometimes the crispy bacon is so crisp it has a charred taste to it. Once recent morning, they informed me before I ordered they didn’t have any butter – so I just left without ordering. The food there is prepared to Denny’s recipes – more or less – depending on how busy they are, and what they have been allowed to run out of.

The wait staff has been there a long time, and they are all pretty good. There’s only so much they can do with what they are given to work with. Some years ago, the servers were forced to become their own cashiers – thereby leaving responsibility for walk outs in the hands of the servers. That’s just cheap and sleazy as far as I’m concerned, and it makes checking out when the store is busy excruciatingly slow. They offer a smidgen of a discount for AARP members, but once you go through the gyrations required to prove you are a member, and to get the discount, you’ll leave feeling like you’ve been on trial, and were accused of theft.

Walking in, you’ll notice a run-down store, badly in need of updating. The wallpaper is peeling, and there is grease and dirt built up around the air conditioning vents. The recessed lighting has broken loose in several fixtures, leaving only the inner can. The fake acoustic ceiling is various colors, and obviously patched. The seating area is mixed vinyl and fabric, and the fabric areas are saturated with grease that has blackened over the years. One of the stools at the 4 counter seats has been loose and unusable for a period of months. The front doors have suffered from years of damage from water infiltration, and the sidewalks and parking lot areas are just grubby all the way around. They are still promising a front of the house remodel any day now – for at least two years to my knowledge. The building is 1960’s Denny’s and it shows it in every nook and cranny.

I’m still going in there, and they still haven’t food poisoned me. But, it’s not my first choice of a breakfast place, and if they took down the value menu, I’d sure be going in there a whole lot less. I appreciate the wait staff, because they try to spoil me with what they are offered to work with. This store’s problem is it’s franchise operator, and Denny’s lax controls over said business owner(s).

• Visited November 2011