“Bait & Switch”

Cuisines: American
Colleyville, Texas
“Bait & Switch”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

I had breakfast at Denny's this morning. I had a coupon from the Rangers game for a free Grand Slam (with drink purchase required). I showed the host (David) the coupon when he seated me and asked if I could do any substitutions to the grand slam. David said "sure, you can build it to order". The waitress saw the coupon as I was ordering and told me "no substitutions are allowed". I told her that was fine, but she should tell the host since he told me just the opposite. At that point, the waitress changed her mind and said it was okay. When I went to pay, another host denied the coupon and caused a huge scene as she refused to even check me out because "it wasn't coming out of her check". I other host, David, came to check me out and he denied the coupon as well. A $6 breakfast isn't worth making a scene worse, so I paid the check and told them they've lost my business forever.

• Visited July 2012

Joplin
“Older Denny's but okay.”
Reviewed April 25, 2012

We had breakfast one morning at the Denny's. It is an older property and it has a smoking area that we do not enjoy so it smells a little stale. The food and service were average. Nothing special but just another Denny's.

Visited April 2012
Hurst, Texas
“It's OK; store has seen better days; staff attentive; franchisee miserable.”
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Denny’s Restaurants, once all corporate owned, and the holder of stringent standards some years ago began to franchise out it’s stores, and it’s been on a slippery slope ever since. If you have any knowledge of the company’s past, it’s hard to see anything but wreckage. This old store has been a stand by of mine for 20 years now, and I still patronize them. The franchise owner is obviously not interested in putting money back into the store. They operate it on what appears to be a shoestring, allowing it to go without air conditioning for days at a time, and behind on updates and changes mandated by corporate, some of which still are not installed.

Were it not for their value menu, I’d just drive right by the place. I get their value slam breakfast about once per week. You’re never quite sure what you’re going to get. Sometimes the pancakes are cooked on one side; not on the other. Sometimes the crispy bacon is so crisp it has a charred taste to it. Once recent morning, they informed me before I ordered they didn’t have any butter – so I just left without ordering. The food there is prepared to Denny’s recipes – more or less – depending on how busy they are, and what they have been allowed to run out of.

The wait staff has been there a long time, and they are all pretty good. There’s only so much they can do with what they are given to work with. Some years ago, the servers were forced to become their own cashiers – thereby leaving responsibility for walk outs in the hands of the servers. That’s just cheap and sleazy as far as I’m concerned, and it makes checking out when the store is busy excruciatingly slow. They offer a smidgen of a discount for AARP members, but once you go through the gyrations required to prove you are a member, and to get the discount, you’ll leave feeling like you’ve been on trial, and were accused of theft.

Walking in, you’ll notice a run-down store, badly in need of updating. The wallpaper is peeling, and there is grease and dirt built up around the air conditioning vents. The recessed lighting has broken loose in several fixtures, leaving only the inner can. The fake acoustic ceiling is various colors, and obviously patched. The seating area is mixed vinyl and fabric, and the fabric areas are saturated with grease that has blackened over the years. One of the stools at the 4 counter seats has been loose and unusable for a period of months. The front doors have suffered from years of damage from water infiltration, and the sidewalks and parking lot areas are just grubby all the way around. They are still promising a front of the house remodel any day now – for at least two years to my knowledge. The building is 1960’s Denny’s and it shows it in every nook and cranny.

I’m still going in there, and they still haven’t food poisoned me. But, it’s not my first choice of a breakfast place, and if they took down the value menu, I’d sure be going in there a whole lot less. I appreciate the wait staff, because they try to spoil me with what they are offered to work with. This store’s problem is it’s franchise operator, and Denny’s lax controls over said business owner(s).

• Visited November 2011