“Good food, great atmosphere!”
Review of Texas Star Cafe

Texas Star Cafe
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in New Ulm
Cuisines: American
Reviewed August 6, 2014

This is the first time I've ever eaten here and it was really good. I got the chicken fried chicken. The only disappointment was that it said that the plate came with vegetables, but what I got were black-eyed peas and they weren't seasoned very well. I really don't like black-eyed peas! I was expecting some green beans or carrots, not a legume! The fries were good and the cream gravy was awesome, along with the chicken! Overall, it was a great experience and I love all the nostalgic decorations on the walls. The service was a little slow, but they were super-busy when we arrived. It's one of my great aunt's favorite places to eat and now I see why!

Reviewed July 21, 2014

I have eaten at the Texas Star several times, for breakfast and lunch, over the last year. Great country cooking and delicious burgers. Sometimes service can be a little slower than you'd like at lunch, but only if they are crowded.

Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had breakfast here after hunting this morning and it was fabulous. Everything was fresh and the staff was very nice an d accomodating!

1  Thank Gantpa
Reviewed November 5, 2013

My wife and I were taking a country drive last Saturday, November 2 and were going through New Ulm towards Cat Springs. We were both ready for a late lunch and passed The Texas Star. The parking lot was jammed. By the time I asked if she was interested in stopping we were a quarter mile down the road. We decided to give it a try. I had the small chicken fried stak and she had a bacon-jalapeno cheeseburger with sides of onion rings and fried pickles.. We were more than surprised. The steak was done perfectly and the burger, with an obviously hand made patty, was truly awesome. The only down side was the onion rings and fried pickles. The batter and flavor were great but they both needed to be drained longer before being served.
If you like fried foods and homemade burgers, this is a great day trip from Houston to plan on.

2  Thank Pat A
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Good basic food- fried shrimp, burgers, salad bar, draft beer- wish it was open more regularly for dinner nowadays