All reviews per day match play excellent instruction high school har tru afternoon session hard courts individual attention rooms are comfortable and clean bedroom condo full kitchen newks players pros drill academy camp
Reviewed December 9, 2018

We stayed in a very nice 2 bedroom condo. We walked out our back door to the courts, and just a short walk to dining and apres. The tennis was OUTSTANDING. This is not namby-pamby 1 hr per day and then massages...this is 3 hours morning and three hours afternoon of tennis. EXCELLENT instruction - real hands on correction and coaching. If you are a tennis player, this is BY FAR the best adult camp. If you want a little tennis with spa and shopping, google namby-pamby adult tennis vacation. If you want to take your game up a notch and play tennis, come here.

Date of stay: December 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
NewksResort, Manager at John Newcombe's Tennis Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2018

Thank you so much for your wonderful compliments on our program and facilities. It was a pleasure to have you here and we hope you will return again soon!

Reviewed October 15, 2018 via mobile

Group of 12 from Ohio had a great time sharpening our tennis skills and enjoying the Ranch.

Meeting Mr. Newcombe was a bonus - nice guy.

Pro’s were super friendly and gave great instruction.

Food was very good. Loved the homemade tomato basil soup! The coffee in the morning was heavenly.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Traveled with friends
NewksResort, General Manager at John Newcombe's Tennis Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2018

Thank you for your compliments and taking the time write a review.

It was an absolute pleasure to host your crew here at the Ranch and we hope you all will make it a yearly tradition!

Reviewed October 2, 2018

I'm way behind schedule posting this review. I attended the 5-day adult camp in March, and brought along two 16-y-o boys who attended the junior camp during their spring break. In the late 70's, I learned about Newcombe's Tennis Ranch, and always wanted to come here. After not playing tennis much over a 20 year period, I finally got started again a couple of years ago. So, I fulfilled a 40-year dream by coming to the Ranch.

There were 60-70 juniors in the camp that week. The best thing for the boys was all the court time. They had about 30 hours of court time, just a week before starting their high school tennis season back in Wisconsin. The campers spend most of their time in drills, games, and match play. If you think they're going to get individualized instruction/essons; you'll be disappointed. That's not how it operates. You can get private or small group lessons that are geared toward improving your strokes - but the camp is more about fun and competitive court time - not about instruction, per se. I'm only telling you this to help you shape your expectations.

The adult camp had about 12-14 people in it. Sometimes they have quite a few more, sometimes not. It was a good group of people to get to know and hang out with. Newk's tries to have one instructor per 4 campers. This ensures lots of hitting and not much standing around. No one complained about not enough court time. We got to know many instructors during the week - with Hunter leading the group eaach day. Weston was also there almost all the time, and many of the others filtered in and out of the adult group throughout the week. Director Chris interacted with us a bit, but not in an instructive capacity. He runs a great camp, and keeps things running smoothly.

We got lucky. This was one of the few weeks out of the year when Newk was actually at the Ranch. On day 4 we got to meet him, listen to him talk about his old competitive days, and ask him questions. And of course, a photo opp. For me it was a real highlight of the week.

Several of us took a Newk's bus into Gruene, Texas for dinner at the Gristmill on one of the nights. We had a great time with good food and Texas hill country music. The week wasn't even over when I started to plan when I could make a return trip to the Ranch.

Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank 356barryd
NewksResort, Tennis Director at John Newcombe's Tennis Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2018

Thank you for your review on the Ranch.It was great to have you here.

I remember both of your sons from Wisconsin very well and they were both very good players and a pleasure to work with, I am sorry that you feel like they did not get any individualized instruction. I spent time with each of them working on their kick serves and we gave chalk talk/strategy sessions every day to begin the clinic. Obviously, we need to do better in this regard but we do pride ourselves on giving incisive instruction, match play critiques and individualized sessions.

Thank you again for your great review and we look forward to welcoming you back soon and please give my best to your sons. Hope their tennis is "rock solid."

Phil, Tennis Director

Reviewed July 23, 2018

My 12 year old son and 10 year old daughter have spent two weeks at Newks each of the last two summers. Even though they were beginners, the staff made them feel comfortable and placed them in groups with similar skills. They both advanced in their skill levels and had a great time doing it. They both go on and on about one of the main administrators at Newks, named "Fossil" Phil. He's a very high energy, engaging guy who personally greets campers and families at the front gate as they arrive for drop off. I can't say enough about how Newks has helped teach my kids the game of tennis. My younger brother went to Newks back in the late 1970's and raved about how awesome it was. Apparently not much has changed, except Newk's housing and tennis facilities have grown and expanded since then.

Date of stay: June 2018
NewksResort, Manager at John Newcombe's Tennis Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2018

Thank you for your compliments on our camp and for taking the time to review your experience! We hope your family continues the camp tradition every summer!

Reviewed April 13, 2018

I've just finished the 5-day adult program at Newks and can't say enough good things about it.

It was a bit of last-minute decision, hence I went by myself, which made me a little nervous. Within a few hours of booking, my phone rang and the cheery voice of Chris, the program director was on the other end. I immediately felt welcomed and gone were any feelings of trepidation.

I feel that the ranch provided a very unique atmosphere, in that you almost feel as if you're part of a big family for a few days. The pros ate with the guests at every meal, and provided much insight into the ranch, the vicinity and tennis in general. Newks should be exceedingly proud of the pros in its employment. They were professionals first, but always showed a sense of fun. They were unfailingly polite and respectful. They displayed a genuine interest in each and every guest. One would be hard-pressed to find such a group of outstanding young people. Of particular note, a group of guests were driven to a local restaurant, The Grist Mill, by a few of the pros, which was such a great suggestion and a wonderful treat. Thank-you, Adrian, Price, and Dave-- I really enjoyed getting to know you better. I can't not mention the other pros as well, since they were all outstanding: Thank-you, Hunter, Weston, Tyler, Jack, Liza, Kelly, and I hope I haven't missed anyone!

With regard to the tennis instruction, I found it to be just the right amount and variety of drills. I picked up up many helpful tips during the week and was able to incorporate many of them into my shots.

I will definitely come back!

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Traveled solo
NewksResort, Tennis Director at John Newcombe's Tennis Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2018

Thank you so much for your comments! It really was a pleasure to get to know you. I am really glad you took the plunge to come by yourself. I’ve always thought you can get even more out of it that way, because you get to meet so many people. Thank you for being so positive, not just in your review by through the whole week. I was also impressed with your willingness to get up early to practice. I think your approach helped you to get the most out of it. You represented Canada well! We hope you keep at it on court and please stay in touch! Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you need anything. - Chris, Tennis Director