“History is Great, But Comfort Is Better”
Review of The Faust Hotel

The Faust Hotel
Ranked #20 of 32 Hotels in New Braunfels
texas
“History is Great, But Comfort Is Better”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

There is a definite "charm" to this hotel, albeit most of it is captured in the Foyer of the Hotel. Our room, #404 - The Ambassdor Suite, was probably larger than most. What struck us upon entering our floor off of the elevator was the dingy carpet. We had quite a time opening our door to our room, but eventually we did figure it out.

The "suite" was furnished with period pieces, and I believe they may have actually been antiques, because each was very "tired" in apperance. This suite has two rooms that have been joined together.

You enter into the bedroom portion of the room which had a king size bed which was too soft, maybe time for a matress replacement, as it seems to sloop down on the edges. The sheets were too small for the bed, as was the blanket which was terribly worn at the edges. The pillows were VERY fluffy and firm, which is good if you are wanting to sit up in bed and use them as props, but to rest upon if you aren't used to such things gives you a pretty bad crick in your neck. The bathroom needed better lighting and if you are a person with a larger frame, you would have a terrible time using the toilet as it is wedged between the sink and the wall. I'm not a big person and it took some acrobatics to get the paper off the roll. You step "up" into the bathroom which proved to be hazardous in the middle of the night.

The "living area" was what used to be another room and was furnished with a settee, chair and coffee table. There was also a bar with two stools at it. Not sure why the bar was there, but it did have a refrigerator which got very cold, a Keurig coffee maker (we had four pods left for us, and not really ample sugar/creamer) To me if you are going to have an amenity like this you should leave it well stocked.

The suite was cooled by two window units, which worked fine and were on when we entered the room. The rub in this is that since it is summer in Texas they had to be on at all times and with two of them going, the noise level was quite loud.

We had no run ins with any type of paranormals, which suited us fine.

We were booked in to this hotel for two nights, but we left after one night. The bed and the noise from the window units were just more than we could handle.

My suggestion is if you want to stay at a historic hotel, be warned that this one is truly historic, as is evidenced by the use of furnishings that beg to be updated.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel for a stay, but if you are in New Braunsfel it is worth a quick "look" just for the history.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Sealy, Texas
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Recent stay...room 415.
I was aware of the reviews and happenings at the Faust and looked forward to the stay. I stayed in a double room with my girlfriend and son. Room was small...compared to todays room sizes but not terrible. There have been obvious improvements to the electrical, plumbing and paint since the 2007/2008 reviews I read. The step up into the bathroom was awkward and caused me to trip in the middle of the night. A/C was a window unit and set to 70....was not maintaining a comfortable coolness. The only ghostly experience was that...In the hallway...near the window..there is a piece of furniture with 2 doors. Doors were opened.
I closed the doors and turned to look out of the window. The doors opened back up. I again closed them. They opened in front of me. I excused this as a probable bad latch or uneven floor.
Next morning. ..as we were leaving. ..walked back to the window to take pictures of the furniture and hallway, doors were closed. When I reviewed the pictures I had taken...I noticed an orb floating by that furniture. Also another in the middle of the long hallway on fourth floor. Nothing bad...just kinda creepy. Beautiful hotel....I believe it is haunted.

• Stayed June 2013
Houston
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

What a disappointment. Quaint, historic hotel. Nice decor. A/C in room was off upon arrival - despite the 105 temp outside. Room NEVER cooled off. Mentioned it to front desk staff (very friendly) thst room was hot as we left for dinner. All she offered was "I'm sorry.". Bed was squeaky. Nearby train seemed to pass ever hour. Hotel connected to bar (which appeared nice) must by a bikers' club. Could hear motorcycles revving up throughout night. If all that wasn't bad enough - room was next to noisy ice maker. Would've rather stated home than waste $$ here. Hotel management - I'm sorry.

• Stayed June 2013

Travelers are raving about these New Braunfels hotels

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We recently stayed for the weekend and love the charm of this hotel. The front desk reception, Ashley was helpful and sweet and we were happy to see her in the mornings. The rooms and bathroom are small but clean and comfortable. I was glad to stay in a hotel that was different and had some character. We especially enjoyed the brewery and had a great chicken sandwich, and enjoyed the conversations with our bartendars. We intend to return to New Braunfels and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Cheryl M
Bryan, Texas
Reviewed April 5, 2013

The hotel is quaint and interesting. The room was small and the restroom even smaller. My room had a doulbe size bed. No closet, only an armoire. The cooing system was a window unit. Even though you might see these things as a negative my overall expereince was good. The bed was comfortable, the room was clean, and the A/C was cold. I slept very good that night. It was an adventure of sorts :) I plan to go back one day.Maybe I'll see the resident ghost next tiem.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
North Texas
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stayed here one night last week in a $98 plus tax small room with a comfortable double bed, very small step-up bathroom, very small shower, and you guessed it......a very small flat screen TV.
While the lobby was antique and quaint the room was not. The front desk was very cordial and gave us a very good restaurant recommendation. The best thing going for the hotel is its very good location in the downtown historical district and a nice bar with daily happy hours and free popcorn. And the next best thing is that smoking is absolutely not permitted and no animals are allowed. The continental breakfast was free actually good.......biscuits and gravy, orange juice, very good coffee, cereals, pastries, bagels, etc. The presentation however was poor and the young man tending the breakfast was poorly dressed.
We are glad we stayed, however we will probably not return. The charm and location only slightly outweighed the deficits. We do hope the new owner succeeds. We love historic hotels such as the one in downtown Bryan TX that is similar to the Faust but has been upgraded,

Room Tip: Don't get the $98 double. Take a look at the $130 rooms and see if they are bigger and better.