“Amazing Baked Goods!!”

Naegelin's Bakery
Ranked #1 of 12 Dessert in New Braunfels
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: The fresh cookies, pastries, pies and cakes from Naegelin's Bakery are of historic proportions and timeless quality. It's all in the preparation. The Granzin family still uses recipes developed by the Naegelin family during more than a century of experimentation to get the right ingredients. As you walk into the front door of the bakery, the sweet smell of baked foods engulfs you like a warm blanket. The glass cases are full of what seems like an almost endless array of cookies and pastries in a rainbow of colors. The bakery is still famous for their strudels that Naegelin perfected years ago. The Granzin's have added terrific sausage kolaches in addition to the menu of fruit filled kolaches. We suggest you try the popular favorite: the Lebkuche, a thick, rectangular brown cookie covered with pink frosting. Don't forget to try our apple strudel! We look forward to seeing you soon!
Reviewed August 20, 2013

A local institution and a must visit bakery. Over a hundred years old and still making amazing baked goods. We ate breakfast there two days in a row it’s so good. Service is outstanding and Texas friendly, recommendations and descriptions are freely offered. Don’t miss Naegelin’s Bakery on your next visit to New Braunfels!!

2  Thank Vol D

Reviewed August 13, 2013

Try the delicious, light sweet pretzels, the Mexican wedding cookies, cinnamon rolls....or anything else in the case that makes your mouth water! Get there early for the freshest selection!

1  Thank JillyPill
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Not sure I understand why anyone would stand in line for anything here. Yes, it all looks pretty in the case but I get better quality breakfast bakery items at my local donut shop. All in all - very disappointing.

We had a Danish cheese kolache, a cherry strudel, and a giant cinnamon roll. None of them were very good - more like sawdust than any genuine baked good...

The service was less than helpful - just not very friendly or courteous. Poorly set up so you have a line out the door which let in flying insects - couldn't get to the coffee set up. Really cheap napkins - unable to provide a plastic knife to cut anything in half to share. A few tables out front to sit and a few around the back, which was more like a utility area than any place you'd want to start your day. And it just didn't seem very clean - which is what I really expect for atmosphere at a bakery....

I'm a Czech girl so know kolaches - this one wasn't - and my companion is an accomplished baker - so we know what we're talking about. Find another place to start your day.

2  Thank MommaDiver
Reviewed August 12, 2013

It's like this place doesn't even try. The teenager that waited on me looked completely bored and a bit annoyed that we were speaking to her. The donuts were so bone dry the icing was literally flaking off the doughnut and the doughnut itself was dry and hard as well. Let me put it like this . . . when my kids won't eat their doughnut there is a serious problem with it. I asked for a sausage kolache (which is NOTHING SPECIAL around these here parts) and I was given some kind of weird little thing which again was HARD AS A ROCK and had a little bit of sausage in it. Don't even get me started on the coffee. I thought coffee kind of went hand in hand with breakfast, but at Naegelin's, not so my friends! The cappuccino machine was broken but they didn't know it so they handed me a cup of hot brown water. When I turned it in for regular coffee they were nice and gladly changed it out but boy was I disappointed when I got to the "coffee area" because they were out of sugar and out of creamer-really? My husband was not happy with his sausage, cheese and jalapeno kolache although it looked okay to me. In all fairness my cherry strudel was very good and gooey (and messy). There seemed to be a napkin shortage as well. Last, there are exactly two tables so don't plan on eating there.

2  Thank Marlan1818
Reviewed August 12, 2013

A trip to New Braunfels wouldn't be complete for us without a stop at Naegelins. It's been around a LONG time, and I remember going as a kid...now my kids insist that we stop here! We haven't tried everything yet, but some favorites are the gingerbread men, Smiley cookies, sand tarts & strudel. The young ladies at the counter were fine, but not as outgoing as I remember from in the past (however it was a very busy morning that we were there, so that may account for it). If you have a sweet tooth, you'll like this place.

1  Thank myboys03