“The food and atmosphere was great, but service was marginal and wait staff needs training.”
Review of Gruene River Grill

Gruene River Grill
Ranked #3 of 262 Restaurants in New Braunfels
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Southwestern, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic, Scenic view, Bar scene, Business meetings, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I ate here on the evening of Saturday, June 8th with my girlfriend. The atmosphere is wonderful with beautiful reclaimed wood all around you. The menu had a lot of great options for our diet, and it was easy to find something great. When the food came, it looked very nice. Large steaks with a nice "crust", great salads and green beans.

My only complaint about the place was the servers. Sarah was our server and was pretty far from being "attentive". We waited about 15 minutes once seated to place our order because she never came back for us. Then, my iced tea was empty for about 5 minutes before I just grabbed the pitcher off of the divider between our table and the next and refilled my own drink. (That happened twice.)

The thing that truly "capped off" my experience were the words and actions of another server who was standing by the bar watching the TVs. This tall young server came out and said to another server that was standing there, "Oh great... women's basketball is on. Nothing like watching a bunch of lesbians try to shoot baskets." Then, he proceeded on with many more gay slurs talking about how the women players looked manly. I almost got up and asked for the manager, but we were already having our check delivered at that time and I was just ready to get out of there.

I don't care where you are... even in conservative, Republican Texas, it is simply unacceptable to speak this way about gay and lesbian people, or to use these nasty stereotypes about women in sports to try and justify you making fun of another group of people. It is not "cool" and will end up losing you business. Though the food was great, I for one will NEVER eat here again due to this.

• Visited June 2013

“Would come back.”
Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

Tucked back In a beautiful part of town. The entrance was easy to find with the posted signs. We went on a Thursday night and it was not very busy at all. Service was quick.
We started with the Tri-Fecta. Basically just chips with salsa, queso, and Guacamole. All three were good but not worth the $10.95 price. Way too pricey.
We ordered drinks. My wife had the Key Lime Pie Martini. It was delicious. Could have been dessert. I ordered the Spicy cucumber martini, but our waiter told me that it was terrible and routinely gets sent back so. I chose my go to drink (rum and coke with lime).
For dinner, my wife had the ribeye. It was huge and she liked it a lot. It was more done than she likes it but was still tender. It came with roasted red potatoes and green beans which were both good.
I ordered the smoked pork tenderloin with garlic mashed potatoes and green beans. I finished the green beans and potatoes. They were really good. The pork , though, was overcooked and dry. I left two of the medallions uneaten because I couldn't cut through them with a fork. The others were dry but at least I could cut through them. Looks like they grilled them (to reheat them I guess?) as there were grill marks on them. I think that's what made them dry.
One of the boys had Jumbo fried shrimp, which he liked a lot. The other boy had chicken strips. These chicken strips were AMAZING! I would go back just for them. Tender and the breading was extremely good!
We finished with the Créme Brûlée. Now, I make an amazing Créme brûlée at home, so I am a bit of a snob about it. This was a perfect representation of the classic. Highly recommend it! Overall, for 4 of us it cost about $120 after tip.
I would definitely go back. There was plenty on the menu that looked great!

• Visited June 2013
New Braunfels, Texas
“Gruene River Grill is terrific!”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Every entre I have tried there is wonderful. I especially like their Mexican dishes. It's a little hard to find but well worth searching for!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank ChrisAustin48
New Braunfels, Texas, United States
“dinner with family”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This restaurant has a wonderful view of the river on the banks in the Village of Gruene. They won't take reservations so plan ahead.
We were a party of 7 and 3 of us ordered the rib eye in balsamic sauce. A huge steak that two of us couldn't finish. Rodeo (dog) almost OD on the scraps and he must have thought it was outstanding also.
2 other diners had the salmon picata and they cleaned their plates.
Staff was very helpful recommending appetizers (picked 3 sauce dips and chips) which turned out to outstanding.
Overall a very good dinner on Memorial weekend in a very popular tourist area.
7 adults and the bill was under $184.00 with drinks, I thought that was a very fair price for fish and steak dinners in a tourist town.
I'll keep going back!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Jerry F
Antlers, Oklahoma
“Nice Location and courteous staff”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Popped in for dinner wit friends. I ordered out of my comfort zone and it was good but not great but thats probably due to my taste. Everyone enjoyed their meals which was reasonably priced. Would definitely return.

Visited May 2013