“Never, Ever Again”

and 1 more site!
Antoinette's Cottage
Ranked #12 of 12 New Braunfels B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 8, 2008

I had booked "Hannah's Room" from the website which apparently does not even exist. We were put in one room which we changed from because the bedroom door wouldn't even close. Breakfast was not what was advertised on the website. I think we got whatever she found left in the refrigerator. We also got to visit with her 5 dogs that she let in for breakfast. Lot's of fun eating with jumping dogs all around you. Cheryl is also very foul mouthed and we got to listen to tirades about her sisters. We sweated the first night until my husband found the thermostat and turned the heat off on the second night. You can not open any of the windows. There is an outdoor bar across the street that goes until midnight and after that you hear all the cars racing out of town. We were in the front bedroom and heard every car go down the road and the trash trucks bright and early also. The place is kind of in a falling down condition and not what you expect from a B&B at all. Maybe more of a very expensive youth hostel.

Linda

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Rowdy910
dancer5224, owner at Antoinette's Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2009

I'm very sorry that this guest did not express her concerns to me in a timely manner. She was placed in the most requested room, with her own air conditioner. The air conditioner can be turned on to give white noise to drown out the NEW bar across the street, which has since been made to tone down their noise after several complaints, as well as to cool the room. The dogs will no longer be residing on premises. The outside is undergoing repair and rehab as stated in the website. Winter is the only time I can work on the building as I am so busy otherwise.

There are newer reviews for Antoinette's Cottage

Reviewed December 2, 2008

We stayed here after Hurricane Ike when we lost our power for 3 weeks in Houston - We stayed almost a week - The owner was very hospitable - the 2 bedroom purple room suite was a godsend as i could close the big solid pocket doors and close off my snoring husband -the bedrooms were decorated in authentic period antiques - the 12 foot ceilings the wide plank hardwood floors were gleaming- the fabulous lush bed linens made me feel like Lady of the manor- and the location is right in the heart of shopping and restaurants-the homemade Kolaches the covered verandah-reminded me of my Grandmas plantation house in Mississippi- The towns of Austin & San antonio are also close by so if you want to see the Alamo the Riverwalk too its right there -Fabulous -I highly recommend it to anyone going to Gruene !! The Doyles

Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 1, 2008

My sister and I love to meet up at least once a year and get away together. We had a great experince staying here. We sharred a room but we were not crowded. The bathroom more than met two girls trying to get ready at the same time. The owner recommended several great spots to visit, and her tea was to die for. I kept trying to get the receipe from her. Breakfast was very filling and more than we could eat. It was Novemeber when we stayed, so as we sat on the front porch, it had agreat breeze blowing and all the trees were changing colors as the busy world just passed by. Very relaxing. My sister and I already made reservations again for next year!

Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 31, 2008

This was the worst experience ever. The A/C was broken so every night it was freezing cold and during the day muggy and Cheryl refused to call anyone, fix it or give us any credit. The so-called grand breakfast was kolaches (one per person) one day and fast food burritos the next, plus we had to wake her up! She complained when we asked for fresh towels which she never gave us, she wanted us to reuse the ones we had and we ran out of toilet paper and had to buy our own because we cleaned our own rooms! Not to mention she lets her dogs run in and out of the whole place and one dog had gotten into a skunk! She rarely knocks and is constantly coming into your room, and we just felt she had to be lonely or something. We had also agreed to a cheaper rate because we were debating between two B&Bs to stay at and she gave us a cheaper price but when we got there she claimed she never agreed to it. Overall it was a bad experience and we will never go back.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank marisakat2126
dancer5224, owner at Antoinette's Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2009

I had a family emergency and had to leave for the day and evening on Sat. I asked these ladies if I could clean this room before I left at 2:00 P.M. They refused to let me and assured me they had plenty of towels, toilet paper, etc. I was surprised when they told me the next morning they had run out, as I place three double rolls of TP in each bathroom. One of the women insisted on calling the dogs into the room against my objections on Friday, and all were constantly coming to the connecting door and asking for wine glasses, openers, napkins, directions, ironing boards, fans, etc., hence my coming and going. They left their door open indicating they wished me to come in to bring the many items they had requested, and each time I did come in, I was asked many questions, hence the conversations. I do not know of any other B&B which provides this kind of service, as we are not 5 star hotels with room service staff.
As to the breakfast, I serve breakfast tacos from the same place everyone else does, so I do not know what she was expecting. I offer a great deal more on these tacos with lots of homemade salsa, pico de gallo, fruit, etc. I discuss breakfast with guests at check-in and they agreed to it and told me how many of each item they thought they would eat. Apparently, someone had a much larger appetite than indicated, although no one told me they wished more, as I had much to throw away.

I never agreed to a cheaper price, as this was the Wine Festival, and I could have booked this room many times over at a higher rate, as my competitors do. I believe she had confused me with another establishment further from Gruene. I think this confusion generated her hostile response.

Reviewed August 24, 2008

We cant say enough good things about Antointtes Cottage! Cheryl the owner treats you like family. No matter which room you choose to stay in, you are in for a real treat. The location cannot be beat. Gruene Hall and numerous shops are literally within a minutes walking distance. Coffee and and breakfast on the front porch can't be beat! Sherry has been a Gruene resident since about 1974, so she knows the town and can give good advice on anything you want to do during your stay. Needless to say when we are ready to go back to Gruene, we will be stayinging an Anotinette's Cottage! Chris and Rosy

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank lostthorne
Reviewed November 28, 2007

Recently, in September of this year, we stayed at Antoinettes Cottage in Gruene, Texas. This is one of the loveliest B&Bs we have ever visited! The hostess was very charming and gracious! We recommend this B&B very highly! The rooms were exquisite and spotless! Truly a lovely experience! Carole & Guy

4  Thank Carole H