“Exactly what we wanted!”

Gruene Outpost River Lodge
Ranked #22 of 33 Hotels in New Braunfels
Reviewed August 17, 2009

After reading some reviews, I was very nervous about staying here with two 7-year old children. We stayed during the week Tues - Thurs, and had a great time. The location was great; close to all kinds of restaurants, shops, and the oldest dance hall in Gruene. We floated the river with the tube service that rented on-site and swam in the little pool after the big float. The room was clean and small but we only used the room to sleep, shower, and change clothes. The staff was friendly, courteous, and always had fresh coffee in the office and packages of donuts for the kids each morning. The price well worth what we received. It is like camping in a clean room with A/C, a bed, bathroom, and fresh coffee each morning.
We plan on staying here when we return to Gruene!

1  Thank CSAnom09
There are newer reviews for Gruene Outpost River Lodge

Reviewed August 9, 2009

My family (my spouse, 1 teenaged son, and my 9 y/o son) and I stayed at this lodge as the end of a week long vacation that began at Schlitterbahn. We thought it would be nice to relax by the river and let the kids swim, tube the river and kayak. Right off the bat I wanted my money back. We didn't want the Hilton type luxuries but this was ridiculous. The room was supposed to sleep 4 but there was room for maybe 2 after we brought in our luggage. We couldn't get around in the room. There was about a foot between the bed and the wall and the bed and the "kitchen" table (with 2 chairs). There was another foot, maybe, between the table and the "kitchen" sink. You couldn't open the door to the room all the way because the t.v was hung behind the door. Of the few electrical outlets in the room the one's in the loft didn't work; when you plug something into them the item would FALL OUT. The toilet wasn't attached to the floor of the bathroom and might flush after the fifth flush if you were lucky (not good when 4 people are sharing the bathroom)!On our second night I noticed that the smoke detector was not secured to the wall well and on closer inspection it didn't even have a battery! When we looked into renting a raft from the lodge they were going to charge us $35 a person! We had to drive down to the Gruene River Co. (a totally seperate company from the lodge) and they were very nice and courteous and cut us a better deal and only charged $30 for the adults and $17 dollars for BOTH of the kids. The staff at the lodge was indifferent to us as customers. One of the staff (middle aged looking man) MADE OUT in the pool with a woman that looked like she was on meth.; they did this in front of my 9 year old.
I also understand that being next to the river during the summer would attract a younger crowd, but aside from us there appeared to be one other family with small children that looked as bewildered as we were. The rest of the people that were there were college students that played beer pong all night and a seedier crowd. Speaking of the river, there were two small broken cement "docks" that maybe a person or 2 could stand on. One of the lodge employees that we talked with one night agreed that the website was VERY misleading!
I didn't put everything in this review but I did put all the HIGHLIGHTS! I can deal with old buildings, but dirty and falling apart is dangerous! We reported this place to the New Braunfels Chamber of Commerce and others because of the safety issues. If your type of getaway place is to go get drunk and need somewhere to sleep this is your place, however, if you are wanting a family get away, RUN AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!

• Stayed: August 2009
1  Thank AWANAmom
Reviewed August 7, 2009

After reading reviews, I wasn't really anticipating this trip...with a name like "outpost river lodge" what does one expect...the Hilton? Come on folks, it's a "river lodge". There were about 40 of us (all family--5 siblings, spouses, our children, their spouses and children and 1 grandmaw). Stayed from 7/31--8/3, in the 4 duplexes near the river, rooms were large and cold. The kids loved the river & pool, but the best part for all was floating the river!! It was like a "big party" on the water. So what if there's no pots/pans to cook with, it's a vacation...relax. There are plenty of grills, restaurants near by or just order pizza!!
Overall, it was a great time...we're already planning next years trip!!! But, bigger beds would be great.

1  Thank mimi11Louisiana
Reviewed August 5, 2009

This place is dirty and moldy and in need of some major updates. Our door would not lock from the outside and told management, but they never repaired it. The room was a decent size with a kitchen, but 2 burners would not work on the stove. We did receive so-called "clean" towels everyday...however they were stained. The room rate was $175/night and I would at least expected the room to be in working condition and clean. The pictures on the website are very misleading and portray the lodge as a great place for familes. If you like loud music, partying and trash....then this is the place for you.

1  Thank pearlGrandPrairie_TX
Reviewed July 22, 2009

I only will recommend Gruene River Outpost for those who are looking for a good party and fun place to stay on the Guadalupe River. My friends and I, a group of 6, stayed here over the 4th of July weekend and it was a blast. If you are looking for a nicer getaway, I would recommend you looking into one of the B&Bs out there.

Location: Great location right off of the river.

Check In: Nice and Easy and we got a free bag of Ice

Room: The room was less then stellar for the price. I was hoping for something at least average, but it didn't even matter by the end of the trip. We were in there for a very minimum amount of time.

Grounds: There's a pool that closes at 10pm. We actually jumped the fence,but got kicked out which was a good thing because we went and swam and hung out in the river instead. Plenty of picnic tables and grills too.

Rental: We walked from our room down towards to the river, rented our tubes ($20) and got a free cooler tube. The tubes are actually canvas and are really nice. Took a shuttle up and float back to the deck there.

Shuttle Service: We had plans to go see Eli Young and Jack Ingram at the Whitewater amphitheater and paid $10/pp for a round trip ride there. It was nice to enjoy ourselves and not have to drive.

Overall, I would come back again because we had such a great time.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank AimeeinTX
Reviewed July 19, 2009

My daughter reserved several rooms and the conference room for a wedding. She did it alone, without dear old mom and dad along. I looked at the facilities about a week+ latter. The rooms were dated and not the cleanest I"ve seen. The conference room was unkept with a collection of shabby furniture. The sorounding grounds had large piles of old brush. My daughter cancelled her reservations a full four weeks in advance. She was told by the manager she couldn't retrive her deposit but would be given credit for a future visit. That sucks. It's dumpy now and will be, if and when she uses her credits.

• Stayed: July 2009
Reviewed May 19, 2009

The Outpost is not the cleanest place to stay. We have always thought of our room as a place to take a shower and sleep. We pay for the location to the river. I have only had one problem with the staff in 2 years... my group was left ont he side of the river for an hour waiting on tubes. The camp DID give me a credit for free tubes on my next stay. Fine with me. Look, do your research before hand. The complaints about his place came from un-informed people. This is not a romantic hideaway.... this ia a river camp to party, relax and float from. I like nice accomodations too but, this is great for the river atomoshpere....

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends