“Not the quality I was expecting for the rate we paid.”

BEST WESTERN Inn & Suites
Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in New Braunfels
Houston area, Texas
“Not the quality I was expecting for the rate we paid.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Pros:
Friendly staff when we checked in.
Room seemed very clean (no hair in the bathtub, linens smelled fresh).
Surprisingly quiet.
They have a special remote for the tv that is supposedly anti microbial and easy to clean. (seems small, but it was cool).

Cons:
I booked on a low price guaranteed type of site but called the hotel to see if they did price matching. They do not. I prefer to book through the hotel to get any sort of rewards they might offer.
Hotel/Motel set up. Some doors were inside in a hallway. Ours was on the outside of the building and you had to force the door shut.
Not all rooms offer a fridge or microwave.
Limited seating in breakfast area. Maybe not so bad during the week, but on the Saturday morning, we had to sit on the couches and eat from the coffee table.
Breakfast only offers basic foods; boiled eggs and a waffle maker were available. (Waffles were tasty). No biscuits, gravy, or other items you might think would be on the buffet.
At first I thought it was just me, but room is somewhat damp. On the second day our room smelled slightly of mildew.
Our room was non smoking, but the people next door would just step outside and smoke. This allowed some of the smell to come into our room.
This hotel has been around for a while and you can tell it hasn't had any renovations in a while.

And maybe it's just because we were there on the weekend and the location is naturally higher priced -- but this room WAS NOT WORTH the rate we paid, even using the discount hotel finder. Next time I will stay a few minutes farther from Schlitterbahn to get the quality I expect for the dollars I spend.

Room Tip: Not all rooms offer microwave and fridge. To upgrade from a King with Sofabed to a King with Microwa...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
New Braunfels, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

LOL, after spending $120+ to stay the night at a primitive 'pitch-a-tent' campground located on the Guadalupe and tube with my 2 kids, I would take the discounted luxury of my Jacuzzi suite ANYDAY over camping/tubing.

For almost the same rate as camping/tubing, I got a room with a King bed, queen hide away sofa, Jacuzzi, pool, fridge & microwave (which weren't even in the Hilton at Austin Airpoirt the last 3 times I stayed), A/C (which doesn't come stock with camping, lol), WIFI & cell service (which I do wish was secured *hint, hint*), and cable t.v.

Pool stayed open till 10pm ... which my kids LOVED. And the location is perfect, close to the Guadalupe River and Schlitterbahn. And still only 30 minutes from San Antonio if you're looking to check out the Alamo, the Zoo, Sea World, Fiesta TX, and many more attractions there.

Room Tip: Shop around online for affordable rates. Calling the hotel directly doesn't seem to be as benef...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank clickmyspace
Artesia, New Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

This hotel was an old 80's shack, We booked it because we were goin to Schlitterbahn. When we left my son forgot his KindleFire in the room. We were gone for 15 minutes and turned back. When we got there the maids cart was outside our door and no maid was near by. Needless to say our kindle fire was missing. We talked to front desk to ask if it was turned in and it hadn't been. He tried contacting maid but she was no where to be found (more then likely because she was hiding the Kindle). I reported it to management and all he did was say sorry that they looked for it. They did not even look for it. My husband and I did and when we asked the maid about it she coped an attitude. Will NEVER stay again. Staff does not care about their guest not even management.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Adriana S
Lancaster, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

This was our group’s 12th year at the Best Western New Braunfels. The
hotel was never as nice as some of the others, but it was always
clean, and everything functioned. The thing we liked best was that
our group could use the lobby tables for our Papa John’s dinner after
a hard day at Schlitterbahn. (Roughly 25 people)

This year, the hotel was under new ownership. We had several problems.
1) The washer and dryer upstairs were not working
2) The dryer downstairs took our money but would not run which left us with wet towels for the next day
3) Breakfast now ends at 9am – so on our checkout day, most of us missed it
4) We were no longer allowed in lobby after 10pm
5) Our room reservations were messed up (we wanted Kings with a queen fold out couch, but they had us down for 2 queens)
6) Our room price was messed up – they initially failed to apply the group rate – but it was fixed after some complaining
7) While waiting 20 minutes on some towels (they only left 3 sets and there were 4 of us), we watched as the clerk rented one room that had already been given out – luckily the bar was on the door – but both families were upset!
8) One of the rooms had the drain pipe removed from one of the sinks – the room was equipped with 2 sinks, but to have it totally non-functional during an entire 4 day rental – and this is the premium room!
9) The fold-out beds in the couch had springs sticking out
10) The sink leaked water from the handle in room 205

Unfortunately, after 12 years, they’ve lost our business.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tim S
BestWesternNB, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Dear Guest.

First of all, I would like to thank you for allowing us to accomodate you during your stay. I would also like to thank you for this review online, as we know how much effort it takes. I would like to address each issue that you had during your stay. I understand the washer and dryer upstairs were not functioning, however we do have a pair of machines downstairs that were working perfectly fine. If after you placed funds in the unit and it did not work, we would have been more than happy to refund your funds, and allow you to use our hotel units for the inconvenience. The breakfast has always ended at 9 am at this hotel, in fact the previous owners breakfast sign is still on the wall. We, as the new owners, anticipate increasing this time as we do not want our guests to feel we were not being fair. The reason you were asked to leave our lobby after 10 PM is because your group was being loud. It was affecting other guests who were also staying with us. As far as the billing was concerned, we did find an error on our part and after a little research, your rate was corrected and we did apologize. The drain pipe was destroyed by your group. I inspected it myself and was not like this before you checked in. I saw that an ice chest had been bumped into the pipe. I placed a note on it asking if you would not use one side of this as maintenance was not available. You still had a second sink for use. It was fixed the next day, so your entire stay was not like that. I am terrible sorry that you were not happy with your stay here with us. However, it is always in our best interest to take care of our guests, all of our guests. Certain rules have to be followed to benefit all of our guests. Our rooms are going to be going through a refresh program with new furnishings. Our lobby is going to be completely redesigned with our guests in mind. I would be honored to have your group as our guests again, and show you what our new ownership has in store for this hotel. Thank you again for choosing the Best Western Inn & Suites, we truly appreciate your business.
Spring, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

My wife and I stayed here Saturday night 7/14/12 in room 112, for friend's anniversary nearby. Our room was a king mobility-accessible. Downstairs, outside access. There seems to be two sections to the hotel, an inside access section in the front section, outside access in the back section. Since the reviews on here regarding this hotel are all over the place, from extremely excellent to extremely poor, it's kind of a head-scratcher. Maybe there are a range of room qualities. So my report only pertains to our specific room and the hotel common areas.

It's location relative to the town is fine, easy in & out, not far from anything since it's a relatively small town. But no walking distance dining. Area seems safe enough. Good lighting in the parking areas.

Check-in reception was very friendly and helpful, but a little slower than most. Lots of drawn-out computer activity, with long pauses. Roomy, clean lobby.

Our room was very large, with a sleeper sofa. Bathroom was very large too. But the roominess may have been unique to the mobility-access room designation. Everything was very clean. Everything worked. Carpet was OK, though a bit worn. Walked around in white socks, they didn't get dirty. Furniture was cheap & battered but whole and functional. King bed was a little more comfortable (for us that means softer) than many hotels. Nice fluffy pillows. A very tiny desk that was overloaded with our laptop, room coffee maker, ice bucket and tray, and the usual personal travel accumulations.

The TV was one of those big, old, obsolete CRT types. Worked well though and had lots of channel choices.

As I said, the bathroom was huge. But, the sink/vanity was extremely tiny, one of the tiniest I've ever seen in years of traveling. Puzzling. Not enough room for my wife's things, much less adding mine. And I'm not placing my things on the back of the toilet, no matter how clean. There were plenty of towels, actually extras, and they were nice, fluffy, and had that just-washed smell. OK, the toilet bears some mention. Several times the toilet just didn't want to let go of it's contents. (WE sure did. lol) The water would flow through nicely, swirling in the bowl and out the bottom, but the contents just went around. The first time I thought: :"Uh oh, overflow!" But no, the water drained out OK. On one occasion had to flush 8 times to get all the contents to finally, completely leave the bowl. On another it took 2 or 3 flushes. But on several other occasions it functioned just fine. Some downstream general plumbing bottleneck? Occasional overload from multiple simultaneous room use? Dunno, but scary.

Excellent air conditioner, and thankfully very quiet. (BTW, check the "Tips" below)

Pool is nice and clean, with nice loungers and chairs. Internet service is provided via cable in the rooms, which you don't find much anymore since most hotels are wireless now. But cable is almost always preferred as it's typically much faster than wireless, and a bit more secure. But this cable was occasionally even slower than a weak wireless signal. I assume that the slow times indicated periodic broadband overload due to high use by other rooms in the hotel. Other times it was fine.

Checkout was again friendly and solicitous. But again kinda slow... long periods of silently staring at the computer screen. Something must be very entertaining there. lol.

Would we stay here again? In a heartbeat, IF we knew that we'd have the same room or one very similar in condition. Can't speak of the other room types.

Room Tip: The room air conditioner seems one of those non-publicized hotel energy savers. Most of them have a...
Bryan, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

Upon check in i was greated by Sunni. She was very pleasant and helpful I booked two rooms. Our first room had a leak in the ceiling so we had to move rooms. My other room had bugs.( didn't notice until the morning) I can't say enough about how helpful Sunni was if it wasent for her we may have left. The beds were comfortable so we were able to get some sleep. The breakfast lacked variet and one of the employees was talking so loud out side our room that morning my daughter could not go back to sleep. I was not pleased with my checkout experience , I stood there for about a minute or so before the clerk even noticed me ( he was in the office playing on and Ipad or somthing with his feet propped up) I let him know about the bugs and the issues we had with the room and he said sorry and presented me with the bill.

Room Tip: Sunni provides wonderful customer service.
, Manager at BEST WESTERN Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear Nikki6

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.
On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. We are prepping for a major hotel upgrade, and we value your insight on our hotel. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

Check-in was quick and painless. Sunni was pleasant and helpful.

The rooms were as to be expected. They weren't worn down or falling apart at the seams, they were fine. We had 2 Queens and enough room for a twin air mattress. The problems I had were with the bathroom. First, our toilet backed up fairly easily. There was no plunger to correct the problem. As we were getting ready to leave, we left that for housekeeping. The second was that the bathroom was not properly cleaned before we got there. There was a dead cricket behind the door and the bathtub was dirty. We checked in at 9:00 PM, so there was plenty of time to correct the problem.

The location is decent. It's right off of I-35 with easy access to Schlitterbahn and the Comal River. There are several dining options nearby.

Breakfast is adequate. Normal fare of cereal, juice and DIY waffles. It was only open from 6-9 AM on a Friday, which was strange. Sure enough, everything was picked up at 9:01 on the dot despite several people still eating.

Overall, we were satisfied with the stay. Had there been more attention to detail with the cleanliness, I would have bumped the rating up a notch. Wouldn't have a problem staying here again, but wouldn't rush back either.