“Unsafe ill-maintained and Manager insulted us after complaints.”

BEST WESTERN Inn & Suites
Ranked #7 of 32 Hotels in New Braunfels
Kansas City Missouri
“Unsafe ill-maintained and Manager insulted us after complaints.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

Several smoke detectors including ours not operable. Closet door, handles, drains broken. Hideaway bed collapsed when we sat on it and after asking and giving them 24 hours to bring a new one in, they brought in single cots that blocked the access to the door. 1100 at night. To reach the door we had to crawl over the beds.

We decided to cool off at the pool and the same trash and butts were there that had been there almost 36 hours prior. White plastic furniture was cracked and broken.

When I asked to talk to the manager through the front desk clerk he avoided us and left the young clerk to give us the "decision" when we advised them we were extremely angry, unsatisfied, ill slept, and felt devalued and did not feel that we should pay for the second night at all considering the lack of follow through and unsafe and unsecure conditions. The Manager insultingly said " Well we will give you a 10% discount and NOT CHARGE us for the hideaway beds.!!! The GALL. All he was doing was replacing beds that should have been adequate in the first place. He is lucky that there was no fire and no little kids wandered into the unlocked pool area and drowned.

DO NOT STAY HERE,. They have been reported to Best Western International as a property and the Manager as a proprietor.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Texas, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2012

DO NOT STAY IN THIS CRAP PLACE!!!!! We stayed for 2 nights in this junk-hole. Our feet were black, the room smelled musty & worst of all - we got bed bugs!!!
I am having to strip everything I own & wash it or throw it away!!! My daughter is COVERED from head to toe in bites! I brought my own pillows, which are now trash. I brought a blanket for the car ride that I ended up taking in & using in the room. I opened it up a little bit ago & there were dead bed bugs in it. This place has made my life a living hell!!! Spend the extra cash & stay at the Hilton next door!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Stephanie G
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

We spent three nights in this hotel in May, 2012. The rooms were very clean and the beds amazingly comfortable. We slept very well and noise was at a minimum, although there were apparently children in the room above us, but the noise didn't go on too long into the night. I don't care for their policy of putting double charges on my credit card, even for a couple of days, until the advance reservation charge burns off, but that's a minor inconvenience. The only bad thing that we experienced was that the shower trickled rather than flowed. I had to rinse my very short hair three times to get all of the soap out! Also, the clerks were not particularly friendly, although since there was no trouble with my reservation or the guaranteed room rate, we did not have any altercations. Based on my pre-trip research, I would say that overall we made a decent choice, mostly because so many other hotels in the area had terrible reviews.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2012

Bad, bad experience! Many broken items in the room. Tub drips and contained 3 to 4 inches of water in it when we got in the room. Toilet handle is broken, closet doors will not close, one of the two faucets in the bathroom did not shut off properly. Most distressing was the hide a bed that broken and torturous to lay on. Had to put the cushions under it to supported enough to actually be able to sleep. Advised staff at front desk, and asked that it be fixed while we were away before second night's stay. Returned to find it not only was not fixed but there were no sheets on the bed. Again called the front desk and asked what kind of resolution we could get. We were willing, albeit 9:45pm, to move to another room. Was told they were sold out. They offered to bring up a hide-a-bed. When delivered, it was a single and there were two of us requiring the bed. He then brought us a second bed . the problem with the 200 beds, is that they block the route to the door. We're hoping for no fire tonight. The Front desk staff talked to the manager, who was "kind enough" to not charge us for the hide a beds and offered us a 10% discount. After all we've been through, this was unacceptable and a ridiculous offer. We went to go sit out by the pool, and found the same 10 cigarette butts around the hot tub and a sock someone dropped from the previous night. 24 hours later, and they were still all there. The sad thing is, my sister mentioned to the front desk this morning at breakfast that the cigarette butts were around the hot tub. 12 hours later, they're still there. None of the exterior doors coming into the hotel are locked either. There's a place to put your key, however none of them are locked. This leaves the hotel with very poor security. Actually no security. Definitely stay away from this place, unless or until it's under new management!!

• Stayed May 2012
Abilene, tx
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

This hotel made the list of "Never stay there again!". The front desk staff were terrible to deal with, including rude. Reservations were messed up and the staff made no effort to correct the situation. Also, we were given a set "group rate", but $10.00 was debited from our checking account after the stay, without authorization or explanation!!!!

When we made the reservations, we blocked seven rooms and at that time the desk person said......"We love bkiers". Sure didn't appear that way.

Rooms were just so-so. Won't being staying there again and WILL NOT recommend anyone stay there either!

Room Tip: Best tip I can give you....don't stay there!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank di0215
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2012

We booked our reservation 1/25/2012 for 3/16 - 3/18th. On 3/11th, we added a day and confirmed that our original reservation did not change. On 3/15th, on our drive to New Braunfels, I called to let them know we will be coming in late. To my surprise, our original reservation was deleted. Somehow, our dates got changed to 3/13 - 3/15 and they charged our credit card which I'm still waiting to see a refund. My husband spoke with Josh, the general manager who said there is a room but its going to cost much more and was not willing for us to forward him the email confirmation we received back on 1/25/2012 which shows our reservation to be 3/16 - 3/18th. Jeannie, the customer service person for BW's corporate office was very helpful but the overall experience and frustration kept my rating down to terrible. If the hotels in the area were not all booked up, I would have changed hotels.

On 3/16th, while sitting in the lobby, 2 gentlemen walked in about their reservation to be told that their reservation was actually for the day before and that there were no rooms available. After he left, we overheard the girl at the front desk talking to someone on the phone about how there were a lot of "no shows" the previous night. So please think twice about making a reservation in this hotel because they may suddenly change it on you and you're stuck without a room.

Room Tip: Interior room, first floor is better. That was what I originally booked but didn't get. I have...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family