“Old Style German Restaurant”
Review of Friesenhaus

Friesenhaus
Ranked #48 of 287 Restaurants in New Braunfels
Cuisines: German
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We visited this restaurant on a field trip with a group of friends because we heard it had traditional German food. When you first walk in it appears to be a bakery with cases of desserts. It also has a deli counter containing many types of sausage. As you pass this area you will be met by waitstaff and escorted to your table. Again, this is an old German restaurant and not fancy by any means, The main reason to eat here was to enjoy authenic food and I am happy to report that the Jagerschnitzel was great, The red cabbage fresh and the potatoes were warm. If anything we wish the meat was a little bigger.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

I had high expectations after reading some of the reviews but sad to say our meal was not great. Good German beer selection, which you can get in 1 LT mugs, although they were out of Spatan Dunkel. We both love Jaeger Schnitzel and have eaten it in Germany several times. The best we have found in central Texas is Friedhelms Bavarian Restaurant in Fredericksberg. All of the waitresses but ours had on the traditional German dresses who was dressed like she was going to the beach. The schnitzel was a little on the tough side and the gravy tasted like it was out of a can. I did like the pan fried potatoes. The red cabbage was way too sweet. Like I said I we were hoping to like this place but it was just not to be.

1  Thank skisumo
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We went for the first time Saturday evening and it will be our last. The food was terrible and tasteless. I have never been so disappointed in a meal. The prices were high for what we got and then for it to have a terrible taste made it even more disappointing.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

Visited this restaurant again in Nov 2012 and it is still excellant. Good food, great service, and friendly atmosphere with great imported German beer. Quiet night for my wife and I. Menu changes accepted. Very good experience.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

In mid October of 2012, we went to this restaurant because we read it was owned by a couple who had immigrated from Germany to the U.S. to open an authentic German-food restaurant. Since I am not familiar with German cuisine, I ordered some beef dish. The meat was tough and tasteless. Perhaps I went to the restaurant on an "off" night. Only one other table had guests. The plate included two pieces of meat. I ate one piece and took the other to my dog. He has better teeth than I, so he devoured his half the meal easily and rapidly. But my companion's meal (pork) was no better than mine. I don't recommend this place to eat.

2  Thank Carlton H