“Our family"small children to grannies...”

The Resort at Schlitterbahn
Ranked #1 of 33 Hotels in New Braunfels
Reviewed October 8, 2010

Our family"small children to grannies" has spent numerous vacations at this resort. As always the waterpark did not disapoint, however the resort was very much so. Broken window, no water pressure in shower , bugs on the walls were among the little annoying things that added up to a vacation downer. The resort is in dire need of repair. Management was very gracious and appologetic. They are planning major repairs and remodeling in the future. We were given a small refund for our inconvenience. We will return , but probably not until major repairs are made. We love this area so much. We love the waterpark , the resort being right at the park is so nice . I hope they will really work on upgrades for the resort , so we may return to make many more happy family memories.

• Stayed: July 2010
1  Thank Brebuy

Reviewed September 8, 2010

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN: OR (BETH)
I feel compelled to write this email regarding our stay this past weekend. We rented the Wasser Haus and Room 105 Wasser Lodge.

Upon arrival Friday afternoon, in getting ready for the rest of our party to show up, I began sweeping the patio and deck area and removing spider webs on most of the railing along the stairs. I swept out the lawn chairs, as the worn out cushions were covered with leaves. I spent probably 30 to 45 minutes, trying to tidy up the porch, cleaning dirty chairs, and sweeping the deck area to make it look presentable. At least the BBQ pits were checked and the wasps killed before we tried to use them.

Friday evening, when preparing our meal, we discovered the stove top was in very poor condition. Not only was it dirty, but one of the large burners was completely inoperable and the other large burner worked only on high heat, which was not usable. So we ended up trying to cook all meals on the two very small burners. This was very difficult to do, as we were cooking for 13 adults and certainly needed a proper working stove top!

I battled small ants to the left of the kitchen sink the entire weekend. They were coming out of the disposal and crawling on the counter around the sink.

When getting bedding out of the hall closet for our little ones to have a pallet, I found dead roaches along the floor in the closet along the quilts. This was disgusting!

The quilts hung up over the windows in two of the bedrooms gave a very unkept look. I took the one off the window in the back bedroom, because I was embarrassed by the way it looked hanging lopsided, as if it were just thrown up there. The other bedroom, with the 2 queen beds, had the stained quilt over the window, and I left it there because there was no other proper window shade or curtain there.

Sometime on Saturday my daughter-in-law swept the house, because she (and the rest of us) were tired of seeing the dirt and filth around the edges of the floor and throughout the kitchen under the cabinets along the baseboards. She wanted to mop, but didn't because we could not find one. Anyone walking barefoot in the house got dirty feet as a result of dirty floors.

The bathroom rugs on the floor looked like they had never been washed. I put towels over them, so at least when we got out of the shower, we would not step on a dirty bath mat. The shower head in the first bathroom was very inadequate.

The ceiling fans were filthy. The one in the living area was so dirty, we were afraid to turn it on, as we did not want to spread the dirt all over us and the furniture..... so we left it off.

Alot of the coffee cups were filthy and need washing before using. The ice maker in the refrigerator never produced ice. Maybe 12 cubes over the entire weekend. Yes, we had the little wire device in the proper place to make ice. We ended up having to purchase ice.

In Room 105, the TV had the on/off button missing, the remote had no batteries and only a couple of the channels worked, part of the time. They found dead bugs in the drawers.

For the price we paid, totaling over $3,000.00, we expected a clean lodging, with working appliances, presentable and ready for us as your guests. We were very disappointed in these accommodations. We feel the price charged is not commensurate with the value received. Needless to say, we would not rebook, nor would we recommend Wasser Haus to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
8  Thank angela44k
Reviewed August 23, 2010

My family just got back from our annual last-of-summer trip to Schlitterbahn. We stayed at the Resort at the Bahn, which is the oldest part of the park on the west side. This year we were lucky enough (a year in advance) to get one of the popular 3-bedroom apartments right by the Comal. It was very clean and comfortable and up-dated with new light fixtures, new appliances, among other things. We didn't think that a dining table with 4 chairs was a great idea for a 3-bedroom apartment, but there were 2 tables and 8 chairs on the large porch. That's usually where we ate anyway. The beds were comfortable and the train was far enough away to not bother our sleep. Sometimes there are loud people in the pool at night, but otherwise it was pleasant. Besides getting 20% off of the park tickets, staying here is all about convenience. It is so nice to be able to just walk into the park, especially when you have little ones that need to take naps after lunch. You can bring your ice chest and lunches into the park, but staying at the resort, it's so easy to just walk back to the room to eat. When you are ready to go over to the East side, you can either drive (parking is free) or you can ride the shuttle. Some days they have early entry for Resort guests. This time we were able to enter Blastenhoff, where the Master Blaster is, at 9:00 (opens at 10:00). My oldest grandson was able to ride it and the other wild rides over there first thing without any long lines. But last Thursday it was not crowded at all, but Friday was more so. We think the locals must have started school already. Anyway, the main thing about Schlitterbahn is to expect it to be crowded and plan accordingly. Hit the most popular rides early before the park gets packed and at the end of the day when the crowds start dwindling.
The only bad thing about the resort (and it could have been a very, very bad thing)......our 20-month old grandson, within a blink of an eye, opened the front door of the apartment (there was a handle instead of a knob) and took out across the parking lot. Thank goodness, his Mother quickly caught him. Besides having the key to get in and out of the front door, there was no way to lock the door from the inside. We had to tie up the door handle, so he couldn't open it and just go in and out the back door on the river side (which had a knob). But the back door had no key.
Anyway, yes, it is expensive to stay there, but it is convenient. I do wish that resort guests could have more privileges, like to be able to get into the park an hour early everyday, but that would require the life guards to get there earlier. Or, another wish is to be able to show your resort wrist band and get on the rides faster, but I guess that would be DisneyWorld. Anyway, our family loves the Schlitterbahn Resort and stays there every year.

3  Thank TexasNana57
Reviewed August 22, 2010

I have been going to this place since I was a little girl and I love every minute of it. You pay for location, location, location. You wake up in the morning and walk right into the park. You get hungry, then go to your room and make lunch. This is perfect for families with kids of all ages. We go to Disney World every year, but Schlitterbahn is my favorite. Our room at Disney cost more and is sooo much smaller, plus park tickets are much cheaper at Schlitterbahn. The room we stayed in seemed like it had been recently updated. Don't listen to the negative reviews, vacation is what you make of it.

3  Thank anogues
Reviewed August 21, 2010

We booked a 1 bedroom apartment for 2 nights, at $225 a night plus tax. Cleanliness left much to be desired. There was a spider web on the lamp in the living room. The beds were uncomfortable and the bathroom tiny.
The kitchen is a plus for a family staying there, but then there was no trash can in the kitchen, except for one in the bathroom.
Be prepared to listen to a train to pass by all night long.
Staff at the Front Desk was ok, but no extremely helpful. My problem was not solved to my satisfaction, even when I spoke to a Front Desk Supervisor. They can not process Credit Cards at night, so you have to go back during business hours.
You get a wristband for staying at the resort, but it does not give you any special privileges. Sometimes they open the park an hour earlier for hotel guests, but ONLY on certain dates.
I had called and asked if the special promotions would apply to hotel guests when buying park tickets, i.E. the souvenir cup and towel. I was told yes by the reservation staff, but then once on property, I was told no.
We would have done better by just staying at a normal hotel and purchased the tickets online for the water park itself.
I will go back to the water park, but I won’t be staying at the hotel again. Too expensive and not worth it….

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Nola76
Reviewed August 9, 2010

Have been to this park for years. Has its good and bad points which others have described.

Family-friendly is different here though. Everywhere in the park is a full smoking area except in line for a ride and in the pool. Interestingly the only Schlitterbahn area that is no smoking is not in the park at all - the hotel rooms are nonsmoking.

Immediately adjacent to the kiddie pool - smoking area.
Picnic table where you eat - smoking area.
Private cabana that you pay extra for - smoking area.
Walkways around park - smoking area

There are no non-smoking tables, lounge areas, or sitting areas within the park. Some days you get lucky and there is not that much secondhand smoke. Other days be ready to move around to escape the plume.

Unlike any other family park I have been to you and your children can expect that smokers will exercise their rights to smoke throughout the park. It does not matter if you are outdoors when people are smoking a couple feet from your table.

Either be ready for the smoke, hone your smoker negotiating skills, or choose to go elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank Texan222
Kathryn H, Director of Lodging at The Resort at Schlitterbahn, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014

Texan222,

Schlitterbahn does now have designated smoking areas – and they are not near children’s areas or cabanas. Smoking is allowed in open areas, but generally we ask smokers to head to those designated areas to avoid those who would rather not be in a smoking area. We hope to see you again at the park!

Kathryn H

Reviewed August 7, 2010

my complaints are, since they advertise heavily as a family waterpark, they should keep children in mind, the music on the speakers they play has cursing, and there are no non-smoking areas, which smokers take full advantage of. Schlitterbahn will hopefully move into this century and rethink that policy. Some of the kiddie pools are easy to lose your kids in, there are many blind spots, I didn't even take my kid til he was older and I still lost track of him at one point which I don't like. This park seems more aimed for teens and adults rather than "family". but if you live closeby and get the flow of which parts aren't overcrowded at what times, it is a better waterpark than Six Flags and Seaworld for older kids (the waterpark that is, if you want to be relatively dry and see shows, then those parks are fun, their waterparks are much smaller than Schlitterbahn).