“needs to be more family friendly”

The Resort at Schlitterbahn
Ranked #1 of 33 Hotels in New Braunfels
Reviewed August 7, 2010

my complaints are, since they advertise heavily as a family waterpark, they should keep children in mind, the music on the speakers they play has cursing, and there are no non-smoking areas, which smokers take full advantage of. Schlitterbahn will hopefully move into this century and rethink that policy. Some of the kiddie pools are easy to lose your kids in, there are many blind spots, I didn't even take my kid til he was older and I still lost track of him at one point which I don't like. This park seems more aimed for teens and adults rather than "family". but if you live closeby and get the flow of which parts aren't overcrowded at what times, it is a better waterpark than Six Flags and Seaworld for older kids (the waterpark that is, if you want to be relatively dry and see shows, then those parks are fun, their waterparks are much smaller than Schlitterbahn).

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for The Resort at Schlitterbahn

Reviewed August 3, 2010

We were advised to stay on the Schlitterbahn property for easy and early asscess to the park. NOT TRUE!! No early admission just because you stay at the resort which leads me to the next topic. This is in no way, shape or form a RESORT. They shouldn't even be able to advertise using that word. The motel like rooms were not really unclean...but you wouldn't sit on the couch without a towel on it. A true disappointment for $231.65 a night. There are new hotels right on the river, Marriott, Comfort Inn, etc at I'm sure a more reasonable price.

The Schlitterbahn was packed out...on a Thursday. We got there at opening time and waited 1 hour and 50 minutes to get on the Master Blaster--Wolf Pack 30 minutes...and that was at the beginning of the day. We took a shuttle over to the old portion of the park and all the rides were 1 1/2 to 2 hour waits. If you want to go the Schlitterbahn....go in May or Monday or Tuesday of the week. I'm never going back!!!! The lazy river reminded me more of bumper cars than a lazy river.

Hope this helps someone out.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank DebBoxberger
Reviewed July 19, 2010

I just returned home from a delightful weekend in New Braunfels. This is the second time we have stayed at the Wasser Lodge and it was a perfect experience again! The people are very gracious and nice. The rooms are very clean and well kept and the beds are amazingly comfortable!!! Wasser Lodge's location on the comal river could not be any better. It is right at the end of your float on the Comal River and directly across from the newest part of Schlitterbahn. I would highly reccomend it to anyone, I am certain this was not the first and certainly, will not be my last time to stay here!
I would also like to add we left a pair of shoes behind and they graciously agreed to mail them to me (which is very uncommon these days). Thank you again!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 6, 2010

My family and I have been going to the Schlitterbahn resort for over 20 years, and cannot imagine a more casual, fun-filled waterpark. We have rented one of the three bedroom condos for the past ten years and have always found them to be convenient, well-supplied and clean.
As for the park itself, we avoid long waits by arriving in line first thing in the morning - this year we were in line a half hour before the park officially opened. We rode the MasterBlaster, Wolfpack, and the Black Knight all within 17 minutes. But nothing can top the Raging River, Hillside, Whitewater and the Cliffhanger rides. We can never decide which is our favorite. Don't forget the parking is free, and guests are allowed to bring in all their own food and drinks for the day.
In case some readers may think I am easily impressed, I should add that in the last ten years I have also been to Europe seven times, South America three times, sailed on eight cruises, and spent a week in DisneyWorld this winter.Every trip has been remarkable, but my heart belongs to Schlitterbahn!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Lystrata
Reviewed July 6, 2010

Each year, the Brown Family and special guests spend July 4th weekend together. In 2009 & 2010 we spent it at the beautiful Penthouse Condo in Gruene, Texas. The location and layout of the condo are exquisite, but a special event this year made the experience even better. Our reunions are not overly formal, but they are structured such that we have opening ceremonies before the weekend officially begins. It is customary to introduce the families, along with their spouses or "special friends". This year, when my niece Cari's boyfriend Travis was introduced as her special friend, he said that he was tired of being introduced as her special friend. He proceeded to lead her out to the middle of the living room, got down on one knee, and proposed to her right there in front of the entire family. There was not a dry eye in the place. By the way, she said "yes". Needless to say, our stays at the Penthouse have been life-changing.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 29, 2010

I planned a surprise birthday party for my boyfriend who had never floated the river in New Braunfels before. 2 months prior to the trip, I searched for the perfect house for everyone to stay. I came across the Wasser Haus and Lodge and loved it from the very beginning. It had everything I needed as far as space and was located right on the Comal River. Beth, the owner, was very professional and answered every question I had. The day we arrived, I met Beth who was very pleasant and very quick to accommodate us. The weekend was perfect, the house was perfect and the owner made it all happen. We will definitely stay at one of the properties in the future!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank mhollyhenry
Reviewed June 8, 2010

The "Resort" at the Bahn is in a great location: less than a minute's walk to the edge of Schlitterbahn. It's super convenient to throw your stuff in a hotel room, take a few things to an (overpriced) locker in the park, and have a 'home base' nearby to return to. There is a shuttle bus that takes resort guests to the Surfenburg and Blastenhoff areas of the park, which are a short ride away from the Original park. That's pretty neat.

We paid $200 after taxes for the most simple room--#203, two Queen beds, nothing fancy. Nothing good either. I'll list:

Pros:
Staff: Very friendly and helpful.
Television: Pretty nice. Cable.
Dresser: Fine.
Wireless WI-FI: Easy to connect and pretty fast.
A/C: Worked well, not too noisy.
Lighting: Decent.
Complementary shampoo/soap/lotion: REALLY great! Good quality stuff.
Iron: present.
Blow dryer: Fine.

Cons:
Beds: Two-star quality at best. Expected better.
Carpet: Supposedly this room has been "refurbished," but the carpet looks dingy, and we wore our flipflops in room (despite not being germaphobes.) I'd hate to see an older one.
Bathroom: TERRIBLE! The showerhead is maybe 4.5 feet from the floor--I had to point it straight out to even hit my face. No pressure, and it sprayed everywhere, and a hard-to-close curtain meant that water pooled on the floor (despite a towel to prevent that) and migrated all the way to the far wall. Ridiculously annoying.

No fridge, little suitcase-space, no breakfast, coffee maker crowded on top of dresser with TV. Only one accessible outlet.

Final verdict: If you're really easygoing and can afford it, and you mostly just want a place to crash and a quick trip to the park, it's fine. If you're looking to be more comfortable than at the average 2-star hotel, look somewhere else. It's very disappointing.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family