“Torn”

Ranked #3 of 32 Hotels in New Braunfels
Houston Tx
“Torn”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed here off season because, well, the rates were fantastic. This place has so much going for it. The staff were all very polite and helpful, it is an amazing park and the kids love it but my goodness does it need some upgrading and improvement.

I would go back for the same rate but I can not imagine spending the high summer rates to stay here. The rooms smell very wet and are not well ventilated. Bathrooms are in dire need of renovation.

It has more of a state park camp feel to it than resort.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank sedwards21
SchlitterbahnNB, General Manager at The Resort at Schlitterbahn, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear sedwards21,

Thank you for taking time to review your recent visit. As you noted our staff is dedicated to providing exceptional service. Please accept my apologies for your accommodations. Our resort has been undergoing extensive refurbishment and there are still rooms to be addressed, however they should always be clean and comfortable and I will be sure to follow up with our management team.

We value feedback and your review was very helpful. We hope you choose to stay with us again.

Stuart B.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
Tipp City, Ohio
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Schlitterbahn is known for its wonderful water park. We went in February and the water Park was shut down, but we enjoyed the luxurious 3 bedroom treehouse. There was a nice kitchen, dining and family room two bathrooms and large bedrooms. We had a very nice visit with our daughter's family there, celebrating their 7 year-old son's birthday. It was about 2 miles from historic Gruene. We had fun walking the streets of this restored town that's on the National Registry of Historic places. The famous dancehall had a nice folk singing trio. It was fun walking through the Market place selling everything from paintings, pottery, jams, wood art--you name it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank laurelboo
Austin, Texas
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My family and I went there to get away and thought it would be a fun alternative to the obvious options in the hill country. We were not disappointed. The rooms we stayed in were all up to date and furnished tastefully with reclaimed wood from the Bastrop fires, something we appreciated. The beds were perfect. More than enough room in our 3 bedroom 2 bathroom treehouse. This trip in February made it a sure option for the dead of Texas summer when we are seeking shelter. Thanks for a great trip Schlitterbahn. See you soon!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Brandon0213
Austin, Texas
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My family and I just stayed at the Treehaus during the off-season, and we can't wait to come back when the park is in full swing! We loved the setup - it's so easy to go enjoy some Schlitterbahn fun and pop in and out of your room throughout a weekend. There's a full kitchen, so it was perfect for my 1-year-old's food needs, and easy to bring and make your own meals. The amenities were modern and new, and luxurious enough to make us feel like we were on a faraway vacation (though we only live 30 minutes outside of town). Put us on the calendar to come back this summer!

Room Tip: Get one with a good view of the park, or close to Surfenburg!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

Everyone enjoyed this park. Really brings family together. Stay together or explore the park, it was fun. Bring your own pots and pans,cause there was only two very small sauce pans in kitchen. Make appt for Comal River or you"ll spend most of the day trying to find entrance and tirefloats. At the end of the day you feel a bit of a workout:-* but kids happy:-)

• Stayed August 2012
Cozumel
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We are from Houston but live in Cozumel, Mexico. We decided that, when taking our annual 3 week vacay to Houston to visit family, we would treat everyone to a weekend at Schlitterbahn. We rented a river house (445) and were very pleasantly surprised upon our arrival. It was spacious and clean and had everything we needed. The family thoroughly enjoyed the park, inspite of the downpour the last day. We had asked for a late check-out and were told no problem, it would cost $25. per hour for 2 hours...no problem. I told the desk agent to put it on my card.
Then, when we were checking out (the next day), I walked in as another renter was walking into the office. He was stating his key didn't work. The receptionist said, "Sure, no problem. Let me give you a new key....by the way, did you know the check-out time was noon?" He said yes, but that time had gotten away from them and she said, "No problem!". They left and I asked why we had to pay late check-out fees and they did not? This woman proceeded to pile excuse (lie) upon excuse. She said, "Oh, he made arrangements this morning" and I said "ummmm...no, because he told you time had gotten away from him" and then she said "well, he's coming back to pay" and I said "No, he asked if he could leave the keys in the room". Well, the point is, she was trying to b.s. me to cover her actions and I called her on it. Really, really wouldn't have been a big deal had she not lied to my face. Put a sour end to an otherwise pleasant experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Texasgringa
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I stayed in the 430's area of the old section and let me tell ya, it was bad! I will list the cons of the rooms and the Pros of the location. These are two separate things. The first impression when we arrived was, hmm, looks cozy and cool. Well that was the driveway into the resort. At different sections, you have parking in front of the lodging so that was good. There looked to be enough for all the guest so I didn't have a problem finding a spot. The area where my condo room was ok, until you walk up the stairways to the room. The walls where the stairs led up was splattered with dirt and looked horrible. The odor within the stairs area stenched and I can't figure what it was which is scary. Once you go up to the rooms, you see a basic table and two chairs (old metal ones) and you get one barbecue pit (bolted to the floor) in front of your room and your neighbors .. so yes, you will have to share! So one pit for every two rooms. I was upstairs and I was glad because downstairs looked even more dirtier. Pit was in dirt area and it just looks old and not taken cared of.

Inside, the carpet that was in the living room looked almost grey from all the dirt and looked like it has not been vaccumned or cleaned in a very long time ! Dining table was against the window and took up a lot of room in the living room. The next room is where the two queen beds are. Decent size room but again, the place looks so old and outdated that it was sad. The two frames on the wall was a cheap plastic frame with pictures of fall leaves. It looked like 8.99 frame/picture from wallmart. The table where the tv is inside the room was so old that the wood had white visible scratches all over it. Just overall OLD OLD OLD is all I can say. Pretty bad and I am not a picky hotel stayer. The bathroom was just as bad. Shower head did not have spraying head but just a small opening .. like the ones on your sink! When the water sprays, it sprays all over the place and it was hard! My girls were saying it hurts. Then a toilet plunger was set right next to the toilet .. with no holder or cover or bottom base. Just flat on the floor. Gross. Then next to the dress table, there was a broom and a dirt pan holder. It was not even in the closet. Oh and the closet .. had iron board and iron on the door. Inside the floor, I noticed a piece of cement was visible and it looked like they built the closet OVER the cement bump which was there when the room was build. OMG, really? This place is really bad and I don't know what else to say. The only Pros to this place is the location and the waterpark discounted fee. It is great to be able to go back and take a nap and then get up and walk to the waterpark again. It also is the best to get in an hr earlier to get in the Blastenhoff to ride the Master Blaster and the other two rides. Keep in mind, only this Blastenhoff is open early. The other two opens at 10. It was SO worth it to go in early. We waited like 5 -10 min for the Master Blaster .. when I heard it was about 3 hour wait in the summer! No way would I waste my day standing there. The ride is a rush though! Very cool. The fee for the waterpark was almost half for adult and 14 dollars cheaper for kids. So this is why I would stay again at the resort .. BUT I will not stay in the 400 area. There were some rooms near the front office that looked cool and decent but they look to only hold 2 people or so. We are either 4 or more people so I doubt we would get any of those rooms. I will definitely stay at the Treehaus Suites or Cabins next time. No more dump for me.

Oh beds were hard and woke up with lower back aches. This actually happens a lot so I can't really say this only happened at this place but still .. the beds were hard. The TRAIN can be heard in my room but somehow no one heard it when we slept. We heard it before we went to bed so maybe we were just so tired we didn't hear it .. but yes, we did hear the horns. I'm sure not as loud as the others and our rooms didn't shake, but we heard it.

Overall, do not stay here unless you can't splurge for the treehaus. I'd rather just stay there and spend more but at least I won't be grossed out.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family