“Based on being ranked #1 in the area on...”
Review of Gristmill

Gristmill
Ranked #5 of 264 Restaurants in New Braunfels
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Situated on a bluff overlooking the Guadalupe River, this spectacular restaurant nestled under the shade of towering oak trees has been the perfect getaway for a unique casual dining experience for thirty years. Located in the historic district of Gruene just beneath the famous Gruene water tower, we opened in 1977, serving steaks and hamburgers from a tiny kitchen in the corner of the building. Our menu still features thick steaks and large hamburgers, but the restaurant also serves up popular South Texas fare like chicken fried steak, fried catfish, grilled chicken, enormous sandwiches, fresh fish and special dishes like tomatillo chicken and bronzed catfish. Fudge pie, the enormous strawberry shortcake and our signature Jack Daniel's Pecan Pie are famous desserts. A full bar with a good wine list and fresh squeezed lime margaritas are also big hits.
Houston, TX
“Based on being ranked #1 in the area on...”
Reviewed August 14, 2010

Based on being ranked #1 in the area on Trip Advisor, my wife and I decided to try this place. I can't post any type of review for the food or service because we ended up leaving upon arrival BECAUSE THIS RESTAURANT HAS NO AIR CONDITIONING. It's all open air. This is more of a warning to others than a knock against the restaurant. I'm sure this place is comfortable November through February, but this is Texas folks, and no A/C in the summer is unacceptable.

San Diego, California
“Yummy ;)”
Reviewed July 22, 2010

My sister, niece and I spent the afternoon in Gruene. We walked over to the Gristmill Restaurant for lunch. We enjoyed the live band and the natural setting as we waited to be seated. My niece and I shared the chicken fried steak, the house salad and the onion rings...It was so delicious...The restaurant is really neat & authentic, the food was delicious and the staff was very friendly. I've always wanted to go to this place and I'm so glad I finally did.

1 Thank Maria M
Dallas
“Great!”
Reviewed July 3, 2010

Friendly staff and great food. Best cheeseburger in New Braunfels! Very reasonable prices.

Texas
“Outstanding Ribs & Memorable Atmosphere”
Reviewed June 29, 2010

Our family drove over from Boerne for a great lunch in this New Braunfels institution. It has a great atmosphere for dining--wood tables and benches under trees overlooking the river--while the food gives the impression of a very nice restaurant. Everyone in our party loved what they ordered, but I feel certain that I won the what-to-order challenge. I had a full rack of the best baby back ribs I've had anywhere. The meat fell off the bone; I've never worked so little to enjoy ribs so much. The side dishes were great (especially the potato salad), but sat nearly neglected as the ribs had my full attention. Our server was very attentive and helpful. It is my understanding that in the evening, the canopy of trees over the dining area is lit up with beautiful lights. I can't wait to visit again after dark. This is not an upscale prim and proper place--shorts and flip-flops are welcome. Grab the family and find your way to the Gristmill.

Flower Mound, Texas
“Amazing ambience with excellent food yet so-so service”
Reviewed June 28, 2010

I had the 1/2 slab baby back ribs (with requisite Shiner Bock), my wife had the pork tenderloin sandwich (again, with Bock), my youngest daughter a burger and my oldest daughter, the Polish wedding sausage plate, all of which were very tasty and well worth the price. Our *only* complaint was the somewhat slow and disinterested service provided by our waitress. But even if you end up with our server, you won't be disappointed with your choice of restaurants given the great food, atmosphere and unique setting. Don't forget to ask for a seat with a view of the Guadalupe River.