“My favorite restaurant in all of Texas”
Review of Gristmill

Gristmill
Ranked #5 of 263 Restaurants in New Braunfels
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Situated on a bluff overlooking the Guadalupe River, this spectacular restaurant nestled under the shade of towering oak trees has been the perfect getaway for a unique casual dining experience for thirty years. Located in the historic district of Gruene just beneath the famous Gruene water tower, we opened in 1977, serving steaks and hamburgers from a tiny kitchen in the corner of the building. Our menu still features thick steaks and large hamburgers, but the restaurant also serves up popular South Texas fare like chicken fried steak, fried catfish, grilled chicken, enormous sandwiches, fresh fish and special dishes like tomatillo chicken and bronzed catfish. Fudge pie, the enormous strawberry shortcake and our signature Jack Daniel's Pecan Pie are famous desserts. A full bar with a good wine list and fresh squeezed lime margaritas are also big hits.
Carrollton, Texas
“My favorite restaurant in all of Texas”
Reviewed August 7, 2014

If I'm driving within 50 miles of thus restaurant, I will make a point to go here & having been doing this for over a decade. I had a grilled chicken Cesar salad. Yum! The waitress asked me if I wanted to keep the pico in it. Pico in a Cesar? Yes, & it was delicious. But what makes the restaurant so special is the location. Open, outside, along the river, in the trees. It's 100 degrees, no air, but as pleasant a place to be as any I have ever been in Go out of your way. It's worth the time, the extra effort, my favorite restaurant in all of Texas, and maybe beyond.

• Visited August 2014

Rockport, Texas
“One of the best hill country restaurants in TX hill country”
Reviewed August 7, 2014

One of the best hill country restaurants in TX hill country by far. it can get a little pricey, especially if you are drinking - but I have NEVER had a bad meal there. And they make excellent bloody mary's. Their steak is excellent, chicken fried steak, salad. I have nothing negative to say at all and the back deck is incredible.

• Visited December 2013
Medford
“Really Good food unique atmosphere.”
Reviewed August 6, 2014

We were staying up in Sanantonio and took the 45 minute drive up to the little town which isn't much but it surly is cute and unique with a handful of shops and eateries to explore. This eatery is fairly large and i believe all semi outside non of it is completely closed in. The only thing was our waitress was very dry and didn't smile and was not friendly. I had ordered 2 frozen margaritas which were extremely good and for an appetizer i had the spinach artichoke dip which came with a large basket of chips and was absolutely delicious! And for my meal i had country club with this amazing honey glazed turkey that was so moist, lettuce, tomato, mayo, and apple wood bacon i believe it was on a toasted roll. I would go back many times if i ever return back to the area.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank NJ2492
Texas
“Consistently Good Food”
Reviewed August 6, 2014

Whenever I'm in Gruene, I always make my way to The Gristmill Restaurant for lunch or dinner. Their food is consistently great, and worth any wait time. I have had the fresh lake trout, and it was superb, and my husband always goes back for the chicken fried steak! Their salads are always fresh, and I have never been disappointed in a good steak either! Just don't both waiting for a table overlooking the river. The view isn't worth a thing because it's straight down the side and you can't really see it, and it is always too hot in the summertime. They don't have any fans to move the air, and you will melt while trying to enjoy your meal. Just ask for a table near a fan and you are good to go!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Sharon A
“Perfect food and location!”
Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

Gorgeous river view while dining on amazing food! I ordered the chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes and they could not have been better. The mashed potatoes are magical! Will come again and again!