“Huge place with great atmosphere”
Review of Gristmill

Gristmill
Ranked #5 of 273 Restaurants in New Braunfels
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Situated on a bluff overlooking the Guadalupe River, this spectacular restaurant nestled under the shade of towering oak trees has been the perfect getaway for a unique casual dining experience for thirty years. Located in the historic district of Gruene just beneath the famous Gruene water tower, we opened in 1977, serving steaks and hamburgers from a tiny kitchen in the corner of the building. Our menu still features thick steaks and large hamburgers, but the restaurant also serves up popular South Texas fare like chicken fried steak, fried catfish, grilled chicken, enormous sandwiches, fresh fish and special dishes like tomatillo chicken and bronzed catfish. Fudge pie, the enormous strawberry shortcake and our signature Jack Daniel's Pecan Pie are famous desserts. A full bar with a good wine list and fresh squeezed lime margaritas are also big hits.
Reviewed July 26, 2014

Well this is a better place if you have more beer prior to eating. I would not order the steaks as they lack flavor and have a tendency to be over cooked. I had to send my back, rare, because it was well done. I am sure it had to do with the too hot to touch plate it was served on. I would stick with the burgers and easy meals and not expect too much. The server was very attentive however it didn't over shadow the over cooked steaks we ordered. I would also be prepared for a hot meal if you have a large party. Most likely you will be outside and it remains hot anytime of year. Now don't take this review as negative. I would just keep it simple and concentrate on your company and a simple meal.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,682)

Reviewed July 26, 2014

Went with family.. It was hot but well worth it. Food was very good. Went in the middle of summer so it was very warm.. No AC.. Believe it.. there wings were very good.. Sausage is OK.... but there steaks are hard to beat...

Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

It was my second time here and although the first time was good I had to try it again to make sure it wasn't just luck! On my second visit to the Gristmill Restaurant we experience the same freest hospitable staff, comfortable surroundings and wonderful food. My family thoroughly enjoyed the river view and the open setting that allowed them to wonder around the grounds as they waited on their food. The entire city of Gruene is a must visit while in the area. The history, the small town amenities and uniqueness are all qualities that make Gruene, Texas and the Gristmill Restaurant a treat. Stop by the General Store and pick up some homemade jams and jellys or taffy or fudge. We enjoyed our 4 hour visit and look forward to checking out one of their many festivals!

Reviewed July 24, 2014

Dined here on July 22, 2014 while on a trip to the Schlitterbahn. Now it was a hot late afternoon, and sitting outside was not that refreshing as drinking a beer while floating on the Comal river. The outdoor restrooms were AC'ed which was odd. This restaurant has grown since I was last there, but the meal was high quality. There were wait staff everywhere, all energetic and quite helpful. We all shared an appetizer of the Texas Polish Wedding Sausage made in Falls City, TX. That had to be the best sausage I have ever eaten, no gristle or fat, yet a wonderful flavor. No BBQ sauce or spicy mustard required. It was just too hot to have a big meal, so I had the cheese burger, medium rare (maybe a little over done), dressed to the hilt. Others had a special, fire-roasted chicken breast. Great seasoning, and the chicken was moist and full of the marinated flavor. I shared some gristmill fries; cooked like a combo soft french fry and potato chip (hard to describe). Others had the green beans with tomato and bacon seasoning. Sorry to say most were left uneaten. However they did not leave any of the mashed potatoes. There was no draft beer, and the one local IPA was sold out. Settled for a St. Arnold's but they need more selection and some draft choices. The tourists were packing the place as we left; get there early. I walked all around to try for some of the view but it was not as scenic as I hoped it would be.

Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

We went early on a Saturday night (5:15pm) and only had a 20 minute wait. The wait was getting longer quickly-so plan to go early or enjoy drinks from the bar while you wait. Most tables are outside with a view of the river. The waitress was great and very helpful with suggestions. The queso and chips were quite tasty. The grapefruit mojito was also quite tasty. All entrees had at our table were delicious. The potato rounds as a side dish is a must!

I would most definitely recommend and would go back (maybe in a cooler month). But overall our experience was excellent. Thank you!