“Visit”
Review of Gristmill

Gristmill
Ranked #6 of 271 Restaurants in New Braunfels
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Situated on a bluff overlooking the Guadalupe River, this spectacular restaurant nestled under the shade of towering oak trees has been the perfect getaway for a unique casual dining experience for thirty years. Located in the historic district of Gruene just beneath the famous Gruene water tower, we opened in 1977, serving steaks and hamburgers from a tiny kitchen in the corner of the building. Our menu still features thick steaks and large hamburgers, but the restaurant also serves up popular South Texas fare like chicken fried steak, fried catfish, grilled chicken, enormous sandwiches, fresh fish and special dishes like tomatillo chicken and bronzed catfish. Fudge pie, the enormous strawberry shortcake and our signature Jack Daniel's Pecan Pie are famous desserts. A full bar with a good wine list and fresh squeezed lime margaritas are also big hits.
Reviewed May 25, 2014

We visited the Texas Hill Country for a few days before Memorial weekend.
My in laws had visited the Gristmill years ago and wanted to have lunch there.

Weather was perfect for sitting outside, our server was sweet, the food was very good and plentiful
I had the Caesar chicken salad, awesome! We got an order of onion-rings huge and yummy!

Reviewed May 24, 2014

Beautiful setting overlooking the Guadalupe River. Sit outside if you can. The pulled pork sandwich and onion rings are amazing. Frozen margaritas are to die for!

Reviewed May 24, 2014

My daughter and I ate here and I had the butterfly fried shrimp and they were delicious. My daughter had the ribs and they we're fall off the bone tender and good. We both had a salad, which was very fresh. We had a table outside overlooking the river. It was early afternoon and the place was crowded but we had no wait. Our server was prompt and checked back with us regularly.

Reviewed May 24, 2014

This is one of our favorites, we tend to go back here about 2-3x/yr, which is a lot for a family that doesn't eat out usually more than once a month, unless on vacation. I tend to take any out of town visitors to Gruene, as I love the atmosphere. The same for this restaurant. It has a great ambiance about it, and the food is typically awesome :)

Reviewed May 22, 2014

In all the many years I've gone to New Braunfels, I had never eaten at the Gristmill Restaurant. Parking was tough and we circled the lot for a little while, but we lucked out on one right near the street, so it was only a short walk. The waiting area is interesting. You give your name and party number and then sit down on benches to listen to live music. Then when you table is ready they write it down on a huge chalk board at the front. We chose first available as our seating option, and lucked out again with a nice big table on the patio. The waitress team (one was in training) took our orders and explained everything we had a question on from the menu. I ordered a gristmill burger and the wife just had some onion rings and a side of potato salad. The kids had corn dogs and chips. The food was great and the views were great. We will definitely come back here in the future.