“Great place, Great Rib's”
Review of Gristmill

Gristmill
Ranked #5 of 271 Restaurants in New Braunfels
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Situated on a bluff overlooking the Guadalupe River, this spectacular restaurant nestled under the shade of towering oak trees has been the perfect getaway for a unique casual dining experience for thirty years. Located in the historic district of Gruene just beneath the famous Gruene water tower, we opened in 1977, serving steaks and hamburgers from a tiny kitchen in the corner of the building. Our menu still features thick steaks and large hamburgers, but the restaurant also serves up popular South Texas fare like chicken fried steak, fried catfish, grilled chicken, enormous sandwiches, fresh fish and special dishes like tomatillo chicken and bronzed catfish. Fudge pie, the enormous strawberry shortcake and our signature Jack Daniel's Pecan Pie are famous desserts. A full bar with a good wine list and fresh squeezed lime margaritas are also big hits.
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The Gristmill is a really nice place for dinner. Although, in fact, it is a huge restaurant with hundreds of seats, the service and food is excellent. With a wonderful outdoor scenery, it is a wonderful place to meet with friends. And: the Rib's are the best I 've got so far.

1  Thank thoschdo

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Delicious, crave-worthy food worth driving from Houston. Fantastic service and unbeatable view. Location is unique. Food is better than it has to be with its originality and keeps you coming back again and again.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Went to the Grist Mill Saturday night upon the recommendation of someone who had been there years before, who described the restaurant as a "hidden jewel on the river." When we arrived we learned that everyone has discovered how wonderful it is! Very busy area, difficult to find a parking spot. When we reached the Grist Mill there was 1.5 hr wait. But it was well worth it! Rustic location, very casual. The "beer garden" (full bar) with live music helped pass the time. Great food and amazing service! Wish we'd been able to have a view of the river but no such luck. Recommend the chicken fried steak, ribs or any of the salads. Large servings.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We were camping at a state park nearby and were with a friend, who was celebrating a birthday and had been carrying an advertising flyer with her all weekend, so we ended up here - I am so glad we did! The atmosphere was great! The place was so old, you could just feel the history, I loved it. We must have got there at the busiest time, we had to wait 45 minutes, there was five of us. It seemed to go by pretty fast though. There was a bar so we ordered drinks to pass the time, and went shopping in a nearby shop. I had been tubing the day before and had lost track of time on my lilly white skin and had major sun burn, and sitting out side was getting a little uncomfortable, so warning if need be, there is no air-conditioning, but there's seems to be a good air flow, it never got so hot I couldn't stand it, I just couldn't be in the sun. Anyway, after the wait we were shown to our table, which was a picnic table. We asked for first available. They had tables that are at river view, if you're interested. The waitress was right there, ready to take our drink order. She was always quick, never had to wait for anything. I noticed they had a lot of staff running around, didn't see any mad or upset people. My husband and I ordered a cheeseburger and small onion rings to share, which was really good and plenty. The burger was about $8, reasonable priced, I believe. I saw a lot of onion rings going around, must be a big seller. Birthday girl got a ribeye steak and she said it was great. She also got a free strawberry shortcake, that the waitress said was a half order. It looked amazing, but I was so full I couldn't taste it. I'll be going back here when ever I'm back in town.

1  Thank Debbie M
Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

This is a favorite restaurant of mine and, I make it a point to visit every time I'm in the New Braunfels area. This place has if all..... Atmosphere, great service and delicious food!

This place is huge but is often crowded during peak times such as weekends and holidays. However the great thing about the grist mill includes even waiting for your table. Don't believe me?.... Picture yourself surrounded by a beautiful Texas garden, tables, benches relaxing under the oak trees and listening to live Texas Country music. Grab a drink and hang out with the ones you love while you anticipate a fabulous dining expierence. You will know your table is ready when your name is written on a chalk board toward the front of the side yard in the beer garden :)

There is not a bad table in this place, but we prefer to eat outside overlooking the Guadalupe River. The food is amazing onion rings the size of your hand, best chicken fried steak, and my personal favorite penne pasta .... Yum!

Happy dining!