“Good onion rings”
Review of Gristmill

Gristmill
Ranked #6 of 273 Restaurants in New Braunfels
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Situated on a bluff overlooking the Guadalupe River, this spectacular restaurant nestled under the shade of towering oak trees has been the perfect getaway for a unique casual dining experience for thirty years. Located in the historic district of Gruene just beneath the famous Gruene water tower, we opened in 1977, serving steaks and hamburgers from a tiny kitchen in the corner of the building. Our menu still features thick steaks and large hamburgers, but the restaurant also serves up popular South Texas fare like chicken fried steak, fried catfish, grilled chicken, enormous sandwiches, fresh fish and special dishes like tomatillo chicken and bronzed catfish. Fudge pie, the enormous strawberry shortcake and our signature Jack Daniel's Pecan Pie are famous desserts. A full bar with a good wine list and fresh squeezed lime margaritas are also big hits.
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Atmosphere isn't fancy but it has definite character. Good, southern cooking. Probably not calorie friendly but tasty. Onion rings were perfectly done.

There are newer reviews for Gristmill

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Our family of 4 ate here over Memorial Day weekend. We got a riverview table which you should request. We started with onion rings which were huge and very good. We tried the wurst burger, chopped steak and a hamburger. The chopped steak was my favorite. Don't miss this place.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

The setting is like no other! I only wish I lived closer so I could go everyday! Food, I had a chicken fried steak and fries with garlic bread.....loved every bit of it. The pictures doesn't do it justice. We also had drinks, a margarita and a shiner. Food is great and its a beautiful place.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I have lived in the New Braunfels area for 20+ years. The Gristmill was one of the first places that I was taken on my job interview that brought me to Texas. Whenever we have friends visiting us, The Gristmill is one of the top places to take them for lunch or dinner. The food is always great--year after year!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I visited here during spring break week. it was crowded, but we didn;t wait too long. It was a beautiful day, we ate outside. First time in my life I enjoyed al fresco dining. I had the ribs they were great.